Starbucks matcha frappuccino at home is possible and so easy! This matcha green tea frappe is quick and easy to make in the comfort of your own house, avoiding the drive through, and saving a ton of money along the way. At a fraction of the cost, this Starbucks drink tastes amazing and only requires 4 ingredients!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Oh the matcha green tea creme frappuccino! One of my first loves when it comes to Starbucks. As you might’ve read on previous Starbucks copycat recipes, I am frugal! I’ve always been. As a teenager, I would purchase maybe two or 3 drinks from Starbucks per year.
Those rare times I would do so happened to be during their occasional happy hour where you would get frappuccinos for half off. My sister and I would go, order the largest matcha frappuccino and share it. Those memories make me so happy, those were the good old days.
But by being frugal, I learned to copycat my favorite Starbucks recipes from a very early age!
This is the best Starbucks copycat matcha frappuccino drink recipe ever!
It is the best because after trying to make it a few times, I was able to replicate the exact texture of your regular Starbucks frappuccino! #winning
The Xanthan gum helps bind the ice and the rest of the ingredients for the perfect smooth frappe of your life!
What is matcha frappuccino ?
If you don’t know, now you know. The matcha frappuccino belongs to the long list of frappuccinos that Starbucks has been serving for years now.
It is made with milk, matcha powder, sweetener, and a cream base used specifically to thicken the drink. In this recipe we will not be using the cream base but we will be using something else that will do the exact same job.
What makes this Starbucks frappuccino special?
Oh m gee! My favorite part of the whole article is here! This is why you need to make this Starbucks copycat drink:
- Best thing to save you time by avoiding the dreadful drive through lanes.
- It will cost you a fraction of what you would usually pay for the drink in store.
- You can easily customize it to your liking!
- It comes together in less than 5 minutes.
- It almost tastes better than the real in store matcha frappuccino.
Matcha frappuccino ingredients
Here are the ingredients to make your homemade matcha frappuccino:
- Milk- Starbucks uses whole milk in their frappuccino recipes so that’s what we will do as well. Feel free to use any milk you want though, just know that that will slightly change the final drink texture and flavor.
- Ice– Use good quality ice. Not the old ice that’s been sitting in the freezer for a while because that will have that gross freezer flavor. That also will greatly affect the flavor of the final product.
- Matcha powder– The matcha powder you use is very important because that’s what’s gonna give the main flavor to your drink. I’m still addicted to my Matcha Love ceremonial grade matcha so that’s what I will be using again. It makes the frappe taste even better than the one at Starbucks.
- Xanthan gum– This might sound like a weird ingredient but if you are trying to get the exact same frappuccino texture as the one you pay $5+ for, this is the ingredient you need!
- Sugar– Regular granulated sugar to sweeten the drink.
Do I have to use Xanthan gum in frappuccinos?
I personally have done both and wouldn’t make it without the xanthan gum. The xanthan gum is what gives your frappuccino that exact Starbucks texture. It will allow the ice and the rest of the ingredients to emulsify and blend together properly for a smooth finish.
I purchased my xanthan gum from my local grocery store and have had it for a while now.
More matcha recipes you will love!
- Cute Green Tea Matcha Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Easy Starbucks Iced Green Tea Matcha Latte
- Easy Keto Summer Matcha Lemonade with Chia Seeds
- Virgin Matcha Moscow Mule
How to make Starbucks matcha green tea creme frappuccino recipe?
Making this green tea frappe is as simple as can be. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed recipe.
- mix the xanthan gum, sugar, and matcha powder with the hot water in the blender cup first.
- Add the milk and the ice to the blender.
- Blend everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Top with whipped cream for the perfect copycat recipe!
How much caffeine is in a matcha frappuccino?
If you’ve ever wondered “doest matcha frappuccinos have caffeine?” Well yes they do. This all depends on how much matcha you put in the drink itself though.
In this recipe, you will get about 70 milligrams of caffeine per serving since we used one teaspoon of matcha powder.
More Starbucks copycat recipes you will love!
- Cranberry bliss bars the best Starbucks copycat recipe
- Starbucks Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew Copycat
- Easy Starbucks Iced Green Tea Matcha Latte
- Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
- Sky High Banana Walnut Muffins | Starbucks inspired
What’s the difference between a matcha latte and a matcha frappuccino?
The difference between a matcha latte and a matcha frappe is that the matcha latte ( assuming we are speaking about an iced latter) is prepared and served over ice. While the matcha frappuccino is blended with ice, so that the final result is an icy, yet smooth and refreshing drink.
Tips to make the best Starbucks matcha frappuccino at home!
If you want to make a close copy of your favorite Starbucks drink, here are a few tips to help you out!
- Don’t skip the xanthan gum- The xanthan gum is what gives this drink it’s perfect texture. If you don’t use that xanthan gum, your mixture won’t emulsify and will end up separating.
- Blend until smooth– Depending on the blender that you have to might have to blend a little longer to get all the ice. If the frappe is still too icy, continue blending for a 30 or more seconds to get that smooth finish.
Starbucks Matcha green tea frappuccino recipe
If you tried and enjoyed this Starbucks matcha frappe recipe, make sure to give it a 5 star rating by clicking on the 5 stars under the description.
Quick Starbucks Matcha Green Tea Frappuccino
- Start by adding the xanthan gum, matcha powder, sugar, and hot water to your blender cup. Gently mix then add in the ice and the milk. Blend until smooth, serve in a tall glass and top with whipper cream for the perfect Starbucks finish.
Thank you so much for making it all the way down!
Did you enjoy these cream cheese brownies? We would love it if you could leave a comment letting us know. In the meantime don’t forget to follow us on Instagram.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!