These chocolate chip sugar cookies are the ultimate twist on your favorite classic chocolate chip cookies. They are made with a softer melt in your mouth sugar cookie dough base and have a ton of mini chocolate chips mixed in there. This recipe requires only a handful of basic ingredients that you probably already have at home and yields the best cookies ever!
This is the best chocolate chip sugar cookie recipe ever!
When thinking of chocolate chips we always go with the more traditional chocolate chip cookies but in all reality, a good sugar cookie can be far more superior. So in this recipe, we married the two and did something that will give us chewy centers, and crispy edges, and still have that lovely sugar cookie texture that is both perfect for the holiday season or year-round because who doesn’t enjoy a good cookie from time to time?
These cookies are both rolled in granulated sugar and mini chocolate chips to give them that extra oomph in both how they look and mouth feel as well.
So without further ado, here is the recipe. Happy baking.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- The classic combination of chocolate and traditional sugar cookies is irresistible.
- Warm, freshly baked sugar cookies with melty semisweet chocolate chips are pure bliss.
- Baking these cookies creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your kitchen.
- It’s a fun and therapeutic activity that can help you relax and unwind.
- You can customize the cookies with add-ins like nuts, coconut, or drizzled chocolate.
- Chocolate chip sugar cookies are perfect for sharing with friends and loved ones, and make for the perfect Christmas Cookie.
- They make a delightful treat for casual get-togethers or potlucks.
- Homemade cookies are a thoughtful and heartfelt gift for someone special.
- The aroma of freshly baked cookies will fill your home with a delicious fragrance.
- Enjoying these cookies with a glass of milk is a nostalgic and comforting experience.
Ingredients for this chocolate chip sugar cookies recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these delicious cookies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter- You can use salted or unsalted butter just make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- Light brown sugar & granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Mini chocolate chips– You can also use regular chocolate chips but I feel like using the mini is more fitting for sugar cookies. For best results make sure to use high-quality ingredients.
How to make these delicious chocolate chip sugar cookies
This is how you can make these buttery cookies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream butter and sugars together in a stand mixer or in a large bowl with an electric mixer or by hand using a whisk.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and mix again.
- Fold in the dry ingredients just until the flour mixture disappears and soft dough forms.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix again.
- Scoop using a small cookie scooper then roll in white sugar.
- Take the balls of dough and press them in the extra mini chips. If the cookie dough flattens just press it back together to make a ball.
- Place the cookie dough balls chocolate chip side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven.
- Allow the cookie to cool down on a cooling rack before enjoying with a tall glass of cold milk.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store extra chocolate chip sugar cookies?
If you have leftovers you can place them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Of course, you can store them in the fridge for a little longer.
How are these chocolate chip cookies different from regular chocolate chip cookies?
The difference is the ratios of ingredients used. I love making my sugar cookies with a little brown sugar to give them that super soft chewy element and that’s what I did here. As the cherry on top, I rolled the cookies in granulated sugar for the ultimate sugar cookie vibe.
Can I make the dough ahead of time?
You sure can! Make it and chill it in the fridge. You can leave it in its bowl and wrap that with plastic wrap or scoop and place on a cookie sheet and chill for later.
When baking add a few extra minutes to your bake time or do a trial cookie first to see how they bake from cold in your specific oven then bake the rest of the batch.
Chocolate chip sugar cookie recipe
The best chocolate chip sugar cookie
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (extra for topping about ⅓ cup)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (190°C) then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter mixture, and beat until well combined.½ cup unsalted butter, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, ⅓ cup brown sugar, 1 egg, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gradually add the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda to the butter mixture, stirring until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.1 & ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoon cornstarch, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅔ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- scoop rounded scoops of dough using a 2-tablespoon scoop, roll in between the palm of your hands then roll in granulated sugar, and press the top of the cookies in the mini chocolate chips. If the cookies flatten a bit, just roll them back up then place them onto a lined baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.⅓ cup granulated sugar
- Bake for 9 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden and the centers are set but still slightly soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve and enjoy!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!