These chocolate chip cut-out cookies combine the best of both worlds. They are made with a sugar cookie base that is packed with mini chocolate chips. You can use this chocolate chip cookie dough to create beautiful cutout cookie designs for decorating or just make round ones and serve them with a cup of milk.
Since you are here, check out my no-spread cut-out sugar cookies, my delicious sugar cookie icing that hardens, and these brown butter chocolate chip cookie bars!
This is the best chocolate chip cut out cookies
I know the Christmas holiday season has come to an end but I needed to make sure I have a chocolate chip cutout cookies recipe on the blog ASAP because they are one of my favorite cookies ever. I mean how can they not, a buttery cookie base packed with a ton of chocolate chips, ready to be rolled and cut into some super fun shapes. Plus this recipe will ensure that your cookies will retain their shape as well. No spreading in the oven over here.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- These cookies won’t spread! Perfect for decorating.
- They use simple ingredients.
- Each cookie will taste out of this world.
- No chill time is required, prepare, roll, cut, and bake!
Ingredients for this chocolate chip cut-out cookies
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these cookies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– This recipe will use softened butter. Make sure to use unsalted butter for these buttery sugar cookies!
- Granulated sugar
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your baked goods to balance out the sweetness of the cookies.
- Vanilla extract- We use high-quality vanilla extract to ensure that the great flavor is there. You can also use vanilla butter emulsion to keep the flavors from evaporating when baking your cookies.
- Milk– This will thin out the dough just enough to allow us to roll it.
- Flour– All-purpose flour works great for these holiday cookies.
- Cornstarch– Adding cornstarch to these holiday cookies with make them tender and more enjoyable.
- Baking powder– This recipe uses a tiny bit of baking powder to make the cookies extra light.
- tiny chocolate chips– You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or even mini milk chocolate chips
How to make these easy no spread chocolate chip cut out cookies
This is how you can make this recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream butter and sugar together on medium speed in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk to the creamed butter and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until the flour mixture disappears.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Roll the sugar cookie dough on a parchment line surface to about ⅓ inch in thickness.
- Cut shapes using your favorite cookie cutters to make unique shapes, place them on the prepared baking sheet, and bake in the oven.
- Let the cookies cool down on a wire rack before decorating with your favorite royal icing recipe.
Of course, make sure to bake the big cut-out sugar cookies a bit longer while making sure that you bake the smaller cookies less.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
CAN THIS DOUGH BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can make this cookie dough a few days ahead of time just make sure to wrap the cookie dough with plastic wrap well before placing it in an air-tight container in the fridge. If you notice your dough getting a bit dry, it would be a good idea to add a few drops of milk or heavy cream to the dough to moisten it up a little.
HOW TO STORE CUT-OUT COOKIES?
You can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Of course, you can store this original recipe in the fridge for a little longer!
CAN I FREEZE THESE COOKIES?
Yes you can. Make sure to wrap the cookies tightly with plastic wrap before replacing them in an airtight container and into the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use them, thaw them in the fridge overnight before decorating.
What to decorate these cookies with?
Here are a few topping ideas for your cookies:
- Cookie icing that hardens
- Buttercream frosting
- A chocolate glaze
- peanut butter buttercream
Chocolate chip cut out cookies recipe
No spread chocolate chip cutout cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large, at room temperature
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.1 cup butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add in the egg, the vanilla extract, and the milk and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Mix in the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Stop mixing as soon as the flour mixture disappears. Fold in the mini chocolate chips½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 4 cups flour, 2 tablespoon corn starch, ⅛ teaspoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon milk
- On a parchment-lined surface, sprinkle some flour, add your cookie dough, and sprinkle some more flour on top then roll the dough to about ⅓" then cut out the cookies using your favorite cookie cutter, bake the larger cookies for 9-10 minutes and the smaller ones for 6-7 minutes.
- Let the cookies col down fully before decorating!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
Leave a Comment