Chocolate Chip brown butter blondies AKA the best brown butter blondies you’ll ever make or have. They are buttery, fudgy, and nutty just like a brown butter dessert should be. Personalize it to fit your needs with whatever mix-ins you like.
This one goes out to all my brown butter lovers! Here are some more of my favorite brown butter recipes on the blog, Easy Brown Butter Banana Bread, Baked Banana Donuts with Brown Butter Glaze, The world’s best brown butter chocolate chip cookies, and Brown Butter Candied Pecan Blondies!
brown butter blondies are one. of the most addictive desserts, you could ever make. Made only 6-ingredients for a decadent dessert that will be loved by everyone.
Of course, you can make regular blondies but let me tell you something about these brown butter blondies. They take your favorite sweet treat to the next level thanks to that nuttiness we are able to create from the brown butter.
This is the best chocolate chip brown butter blondies recipe ever!
The simplicity of this cookie bar recipe is another reason why prioritizing high-quality ingredients is a must here.
Since we only use a handful of ingredients, you want to make sure that they all taste really good so that when put together we can create some magic.
What is a blondie?
Blondies are like the opposite of a brownie but somewhat similar still. They are fudgy cookie bars that have vanilla and butter notes and whatever mix-ins your heart desires.
So I guess technically they are pretty different from brownies because they are a very different dessert I’d say. They do not have any cocoa powder which keeps them lighter, hence the “blondie” name!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It’s a simple recipe that will impress everyone!
- These brown butter blondie bars will make your house smell like heaven.
- They are thick and fudgy unline many brown butter blondies I’ve tried out there.
- You will only need 6 ingredients for this recipe.
- This is a one bowl recipe.
Ingredients for chocolate chunks brown butter blondies
Here are the ingredients you will need to make brown butter blondies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter/brown butter- You can use salted or unsalted butter to make the brown butter for this recipe.
- Brown sugar– You can use dark or light brown sugar for these blondie bars.
- Egg– The eggs are the binding agent of this recipe.
- Flour– AP flour works great for this cookie bar.
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your sweet baked goods to make sure that the flavors are balanced
- Vanilla extract– The vanilla extract will give extra depth of flavor to these.
What are some mix-ins for this blondie recipe?
- Chocolate chips– You can use white, milk, or dark chocolate chips for this recipe.
- Chocoalte chunks- Chocolate chunks give a very rustic and delicious feel to this.
- Nuts– Any nuts would work so well with this blondie recipe. A mix of nuts and chocolate is even better!
- Candied nuts– I love using candied pecans with this recipe.
- Raisins or cranberries
- Sea salt on top– Not technically a mix in but makes these delicious!
How to make brown butter blondies
This is how you can make brown butter blondies Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Brown the butter until toasty and nutty. Read the detailed steps to brown your butter on the recipe card, if you have never done that before.
- Mix the cooled butter and sugar together until combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until light in color and combined.
- Fold in the flour and salt, making sure to not over mix.
- Add in the mix ins you want to use and fold one last time.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared 8×8 inch pan and bake in the oven.
- Let the bars cool down for 1-2 hours before slicing into them. Don’t dig into this while still warm because it needs more time to set.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
Tips to brown butter properly
- Use a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Stir continuously.
- Keep an eye on your butter because it will brown in the span of seconds after looking like nothing will happen for a few minutes.
- The browning will happen after you get past the thick foam stage so be aware of that.
- Let your butter cool down a bit before starting the blondies process.
How to store blondies?
Brown butter blondies can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
You can also store them in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 7 days which is what I usually prefer to do. Once you’re ready to enjoy them you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy them!
Can I freeze chocolate chip brown butter blondies?
Absolutely! You can either freeze the whole thing or the sliced bars. place them in an air-tight container and freeze for up to one month. Once you’re ready to enjoy them either thaw in the fridge overnight, thaw on the counter for a few hours, or pop them in the microwave and warm them up for a few seconds and enjoy immediately!
How to get a crackly crust on blondies?
I think this is where blondies can be pretty similar to brownies. To get that crinkly top you have to mix the eggs and the butter-sugar mixture well enough to incorporate some air into it.
That foam that is created during the mixing process will in turn because of that gorgeous shiny crinkly blondie top we all love.
Can I make this recipe without eggs?
Eggs are a must for this recipe, the eggs will help us get that beautiful crinkly top, while the yolks will give these blondies extra richness and fudginess.
The best chocolate chip brown butter blondies
If you made these brown butter blondie bars and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Chocolate chip brown butter blondies ever!
- An 8×8 baking pan
- Saucepan use code CH20 for 20% off!
For the blondie
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks optional
Make the brown butter
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter, making sure to stir continuously. Continue cooking it for 3-5 minutes or until the butter is foamy and turns medium golden brown.
- This process is called browning the butter. Keep a close eye on it because it can burn easily. Remove from the heat, transfer to a medium bowl, and let the butter cool down to room temperature. It doesn't have to harden.
Make the brown butter blondie
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- When the butter is at room temperature, mix the melted brown butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until combined.
- Add the egg, the egg yolk, and the vanilla extract and whip until everything is light and fluffy. This process will create a beautiful crinkly top.
- Mix in the flour and salt just until the flour disappears. You don't want to over-mix the brown butter blondie mix. Fold in the chocolate or whatever mix-ins you decide to use.
- Spread the blondie mixture in the prepared 8X8 inch baking pan, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once baked, pull out the blondies from the oven and allow them to cool down fully before slicing into them. I let them cool for an hour or two depending on my kitchen's temperature. They should be at room temperature. This will allow the bars to be fully set. Slice into 16 equal squares and enjoy.
- 4 days in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- A week in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- 1 monthin an air-tight container in the freezer!
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!