This easy brown butter banana bread with browned butter, brown sugar, and sour cream is absolutely mouthwatering. It’s moist, sweet, and full of banana flavor. It’s the ideal treat to enjoy all year long!
If you love banana bread, you’ll also enjoy Crumbl Banana Bread Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze, The easiest Pumpkin banana bread, Pecan Banana Bread with Streusel Topping and also The Best Chilled Crumbl banana cream pie Cookies.
Brown butter banana bread is a huge step up from your regular boring banana bread. It is shockingly easy to make and will have you never going back to your old ways.
The simple addition of brown butter to this recipe will take this loaf from a good to an insanely amazing loaf, I promise!
This is the best brown banana bread recipe ever!
I’m telling you- this banana bread is simply delectable! I recently made this and could’ve easily eaten the whole loaf in one sitting.
If you’ve never had banana bread with sour cream and browned butter, you’re going to be extremely impressed with this easy-to-make brown butter banana bread. I love bread recipes and this one might just be one of my favorite banana bread recipes (check out this pecan banana bread).
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It’s moist, rich, and sweet.
- You probably have most of the ingredients on hand already.
- It’s perfect for a snack, breakfast, or dessert.
- It’s the perfect way to use those leftover, browned bananas. The riper the bananas, the better! This banana bread mug cake is also ideal for ripe bananas.
Ingredients for this banana loaf
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this brown butter banana loaf:
- Butter- You can use either salted or unsalted butter.
- Bananas- Ripe bananas are best to get the full banana flavor.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar- You’ll use a little bit of each. The brown sugar is naturally moist which is excellent for soft, moist bread.
- Eggs- The eggs serve as a binding element. Room temperature eggs are best because they mix better with the batter.
- Vanilla– Vanilla will add extra depth of flavor.
- Milk- Milk makes a softer crust that browns.
- Sour Cream- This helps create a deliciously moist bread.
- Flour– All-purpose will work great for this brown butter banana bread recipe.
- Baking Soda- This contributes to well-rising banana bread.
- Salt- I like to use salt to balance out the sweet.
How to make brown butter banana bread
This is how you can make brown butter banana bread. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Brown the butter until it releases a nutty aroma and is a golden brown color.
- Mix the mashed bananas, sugars, eggs, vanilla, milk, sour cream, and browned butter until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold until flour disappears.
- Bake the brown butter banana bread in a loaf pan.
- Cool brown butter banana loaf before serving and enjoying.
How to tell if your banana bread is done baking?
You will know that your delectable brown butter banana bread is ready to savor when it’s golden caramel brown on top. Insert a wooden skewer into the center and if it comes out clean, your bread is ready to serve.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How does brown butter taste like?
Browned butter has a nutty flavor. Using browned butter in your banana bread will give a deeper, more rich taste.
How to store banana bread?
Storing your brown butter banana loaf is easy! For up to 4 days, it can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature. For up to 7 days, it can be kept in an airtight container in the refridgerator. Microwave your banana bread for a few seconds before enjoying.
Freeze banana bread for up to 3 months. Wrap it in plastic wrap, then foil. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
How to serve banana bread?
There are several yummy ways to enjoy your brown butter banana bread! While it’s tasty on its own, it can also be served with:
- Peanut butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Drizzle of honey
Tips for the best brown butter banana bread ever!
Following these simple pointers will likely result in your new favorite banana bread!
- Use very ripe bananas– Ripe bananas leads to a delicious, flavorful banana taste.
- Don’t over mix the batter– Stop mixing when the flour disappears. This ensures that the brown butter banana bread stays soft.
- Don’t leave your brown butter or you risk burning it– Make sure you remove the browned butter from the stove as soon as it turns a golden brown color and you smell a nutty aroma.
Brown butter Banana bread recipe
If you made this brown butter banana bread and enjoyed it, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton.
Moist Brown Butter Banana Bread
- 1 stick butter (½ cup butter or 8 tablespoon butter)
- 3 bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 & ¾ cup AP flour (224g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line an 9×5 loaf pan with parchement paper.
Brown the butter
- In a medium saucepan, melt the better on medium heat. Once the butter melts fully and starts foaming, stir continuously to be able to see the color of the butter changing. You will smell a nutty aroma and notice the buter turning golden brown.
- Once the butter is golden brown remove it from the heat and set aside.
Make the brown butter banana bread
- In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, sour cream, and brown butter together until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt and gently fold using a spatula. Stop mixing when the flour disappears and pour it in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the brown butter banana loaf caeke in the preheated oven for 60-67 minutes. You will know your banana bread is ready when it is golden caramel colored on top and a wooden skewer inserted in the center or it comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf cake to cool down in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool down for a few more minutes before serving.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
Through my years I have made many Banana Bread from various recipes and I can say hands down this is the BEST Banana Bread recipe to date. Every time I make it is gone within a day, everyone always asks for the recipe. Love it!!!
Everyone needs to give it a try! Thanks for giving this recipe to us.
I’d like to tell you that this banana bread recipe was better than mine but…
First, this recipe is a very close variation of my grandmother’s recipe from way back when. A really good place to start!
Second, I used half the milk called for and made up the difference with Kahlua for a boozy banana bread. (I almost never follow recipes to the letter.)
Third, I added pecans to the batter and your pecan streusel topping from a different recipe.
Lastly, I doubled the recipe since I had several bananas and both loaves turned out beautifully.
All that said, this is one of the most moist (just like Grandma’s) and delicious banana bread recipes I’ve ever started with. Without all my changes, I have no doubt the recipe is amazing! 😉❤️
This comment is amazing Sharon. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it!!
I followed everything to a T and the loaf came out wet even though the tooth pick came out clean. it kinda has bread pudding texture.
not sure what went wrong but still tasted delicious
If you let the loaf cake sit in the pan for too long the condensation will make it a bit wet on the sides. I’m happy to hear it still tasted great!
Fantastic recipe! Came together so quick and the sour cream* (I subbed vanilla Icelandic yogurt) adds great moistness. My bf and I are big fans of the brown butter flavour too.
YESS!! Yogurt is the best substitute for sour cream! Glad you enjoyed this!
legitimately the best banana bread I’ve ever made. I have a banana tree in my backyard that produced over a hundred bananas, so I’ve been making a lot of banana bread. I will never use another recipe. Every single bite had me going, “this is SO good.” Actually every bite. My husband won’t stop telling all his friends about the best banana bread he’s ever had. Changed my life.
The brown butter is seriously magic huh!!! I love that your husband is obsessed with this too! Enjoy Lauren!
I never make the same banana bread recipe twice, but this will be an exception to my rule. So good!
That’s what I like to hear!! Enjoy!
Made this morning, best banana bread I’ve ever had!
So happy to hear you loved it, Pamela!
Probably the best banana bread recipe I have tried. I made it for the family and it was a hit. I did not make any modifications. This recipe is great ‘as is’. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us!
YESSS!!! Brown butter and banana bread is always a winner!!
This banana bread recipe was a hit with the entire family. This one is a keeper.
So happy to hear you enjoyed it!
I tried this loaf this week and my family was obsessed with it!! I’m planning on remaking a few loaves this weekend and freezing them to enjoy anytime 🙂 THANK YOU!!!
You’re so welcome!! I’m so glad to hear everyone loved it 🙂
I have everything except sour cream. Any substitutions for that?
You can use greek yogurt!