You have to try these Christmas sugar cookie bars this holiday season. They are made with sugar cookie dough and topped with luscious vanilla buttercream and then decorated with your holiday sprinkles of choice.
Classic sugar cookies are the ultimate holiday sweet treat, make that into a baking pan instead of scooping, rolling, and frosting each one individually and you got yourself a dinner cookie exchange recipe that you can make in big batches or small batches for your family!
These thick, chewy, and easy bar cookies will come together in no time giving you ample time to focus on those more intricate cookies that I know you’re thinking of adding to your Christmas Cookie boxes. I have done that before and was shocked that these flew off the Christmas Cookie plate first! Truly they are that food!
This is the best Christmas sugar cookie bars recipe ever!
This recipe is made with a few simple ingredients and gives you so much freedom to have fun and decorate them as you please. Plus by having to do less work for these, you’ll have extra time to decorate them with your little ones and create new memories together because tis’ the season right? Well without further ado, let’s get baking!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- No need to chill.
- Sugar cookie bars require no rolling or individual decorating.
- You tweak the cookie decoration and the frosting color based on what holidays you are making these for.
- Cookie sin bar form always taste better.
Ingredients for these Christmas Cookie bars
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this holiday sugar cookie recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– Make sure to use softened butter, salted or unsalted both work
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar- The mixture of sugars will make your cookie bars extra soft.
- Egg– Make sure that the egg is at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract & almond extract– These are some of my favorite sugar cookie bar flavorings but feel free to add some peppermint instead of the almond extract.
- Flour- All purpose flour works great for this recipe.
- Corn starch- The corn starch will make these bars extra tender.
- Baking powder- This is out leavening agent.
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your baked goods.
- Powdered sugar– This is to sweeten our frosting.
- Heavy cream- Make sure to use extra cold heavy cream to create a light and fluffy frosting.
- Festive sprinkles- Pick your favorites and decorate as you please!
Substitutes and fun additions
- Decorate these bars dirrently by using different food colorings in the frosting or even in the cookie dough. Sprinkle Halloween sprinkles on these or even valentine’s day pink sprinkles for a super cute Valentine’s Day gift.
- Mix in some chocolate chips to the cookie dough for. fun surprise with every bite. You can even sprinkle some cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips on top of the bars.
- Instead or making a simple buttercream make your favorite cream cheese frosting to really elevate these babies!
How to make these holiday sugar cookie bars
This is how you can make these buttery sugar cookie bars. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream the butter and both sugars together until creamy.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Fold in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt until soft dough forms
- spread into the prepared pan, and bake in the preheated oven.
- Don’t worry if your bars look underdone, for best results
- Let the cookies cool down before frosting.
Make the buttercream
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and the heavy cream and whip until fluffy again.
- Frost the sugar cookie bars and sprinkle with the Christmas sprinkles, chill to allow the frosting to set, slice and enjoy!
You can make these cookies with a paddle attachment and a stand mixer, a hand mixer or even by hand! You’ll just have to put in some extra elbow grease to make your frosting extra fluffy!
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to stores sugar cookie bars?
You can store these sugar cookie bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. I like to have them chilled but if you prefer them a little softer, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes to get the frosting to soften up a bit more.
Can I freeze Christmas sugar cookie bars?
These soft frosted sugar cookie bars freeze so well even after being frosting. I like to flash freeze mine on a baking sheet or a flat surface before transferring them to an airtight container and freezing for later. Just make sure that you are placing wax paper or parchment paper between each layer of cookie bars to keep the frosting and decorations intact.
Can I make this recipe for a different holiday?
Of course! These cookies are super versatile. You can decorate them to fit whatever holidays you are making them for. Changing up the color of the frosting as well as the sprinkles themes
Family favorite Christmas sugar cookie bars
The best Christmas sugar cookie bars
- 4 tablespoon butter salted or unsalted, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla exract
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Set side.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, granulate sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg, the vanilla extract, and the almond extract and mix to combine.½ cup butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 large egg, ¼ teaspoon almond extract, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch just until the flour mixture barely disappears. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. The center will still look raw but don't worry these bars will continue baking as they cool down.½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup all purpose flour, 3 tablespoon cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whip the softened butter, and powdered sugar together until combined. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy.4 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla exract, 3 tablespoon heavy cream, 1 cup powdered sugar
- Frost the sugar cookie bars with that then top with sprinkles. slice and serve if you prefer your frosting on the softer side or chill them a bit to allow the frosting to set before enjoying.Christmas sprinkles
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!