These Christmas magic cookie bars are the perfect way to ring in the Christmas season! Filled with loads of goodies and flavors, this easy holiday dessert will easily become one of your favorite things if it isn’t already.
Since you are here and love holiday-inspired easy treats, check out some of these awesome Christmas dessert recipes:
Traditionally, these Christmas cookies were also known as 7-layer magic cookie bars, due to the abundant layers of ingredients that are packed into it. They have been around for decades since the world wars and are still being enjoyed to this day.
This is a base recipe that’s close to the original recipe of the classic dessert, but this article will give you plenty of ideas for customizing the Christmas bars to your personal preference.
Ingredients For This Christmas Magic Cookie Bar Recipe
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter: Melted butter combines with the graham cracker to create the base for this recipe.
- Graham Crackers: Crumbs of graham cracker mix with the melted butter to form the buttery graham cracker crust.
- Salt: Salt always enhances and balances the flavor of all delicious baked goods.
- Coconut Flakes: Coconut is a classic ingredient in the 7-layer bars. If you’re not a fan of coconut, you can easily remove it.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This is the key ingredient. Sweetened condensed milk adds a delicious flavor and acts like glue to hold all of the ingredients together without the use of dough.
- Chocolate Chips: A generous layer of chocolate chips adds the delicious chocolate flavor. This recipe uses semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you could use milk chocolate, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips if you want.
- Holiday M&M’s: Red and green m&m’s add fun and festive color to the delicious bars.
How To Make the Christmas Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the full step-by-step instructions!
- Preheat the oven, then line a baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and salt. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes first, then add half of the chocolate chips and drizzle all of the sweetened condensed milk. Make sure to coat the entire pan.
- Top everything with the Christmas m&m’s and the rest of the chocolate.
- Bake in the oven until it reaches golden perfection. Allow the bars to cool down fully before slicing into them. Top with holiday sprinkles for an added holiday theme!
Why You Need to Make This Christmas Magic Cookie Bars Recipe?
- These Christmas magic bars require only a handful of ingredients that you probably already have.
- You can easily customize and switch up flavors to whatever you’re craving.
- Because of the combination of the individual ingredients, these cookie bars have a very unique flavor and texture.
- You get a whopping 24 servings just from this one recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
How To Store the Christmas Magic Cookie Bars
Storing the cookie bars is very easy in the fact that all you need is an airtight container or a zip-top bag. You could take it one step further by wrapping each piece in plastic wrap before putting them in the container. Just be sure to allow them to cool to room temperature before storing them away.
Once you have them in the container and the lid is sealed, store in the fridge for a week or the put them in the freezer for a month.
There are so many amazing flavors you can add that the possibilities are almost endless! Here are some examples that you might enjoy!
- Butterscotch Chips: Butterscotch was one of the traditional flavors of the classic magic cookie bars. If you like butterscotch, you should definitely try it.
- Caramel: Caramel has a similar flavor to butterscotch so if you’re going to put one, you might as well do the other as well. A nice drizzle on top would be perfect.
- Peanut Butter Chips of Chopped Nuts: Peanut butter chips of small dollops of peanut butter spread would melt nicely with the chocolate chips. Chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts would give these delicious magic cookie bars an even better texture.
- Dried Fruit: Raisins, dried cherries or cranberries honestly taste delicious with coconut and chocolate.
- Swap Out the Crust: Instead of graham cracker crust, use an Oreo crust in its place.
The Best Christmas Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
Christmas magic cookie bars
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line a 13×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl mix the graham crackers, salt, and melted butter then press onto the prepared baking dish to form an even layer.½ cup butter, 1 & ½ cup graham cracker crumbs, ½ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes on top, then half the chocolate chips and drizzle with the sweetened condensed milk.1 cup coconut flakes, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup chocolate chips
- Top everything with the holiday m&m's and the rest of the chocolate chips.1 cup holiday m&m's
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden. Allow the bars to cool down fully before slicing into them.