These delicious Halloween sugar cookie bars are a simple yet spooky dessert that you have to add to your Halloween party dessert table. It is made with a simple buttery sugar cookie base and topped with the most delicious and decadent orange-colored frosting.
These are the best Halloween cookie bars
Spooky season is here and we are so excited about making all the Halloween treats. One of my absolute favorites has to be this absolutely drool-worthy melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookie bar that is topped with orange icings and all the spooky sprinkles your heart desires.
Try these out this holiday and let me know what everyone thinks in the comments!
Ingredients for these Halloween sugar cookies bars
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these Halloween bar cookies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
For the chewy sugar cookie bar
- Butter– You can use salted or unsalted butter for these sweet treats.
- Brown sugar & granulated sugar- The mixture of sugars will make your cookie bars extra soft.
- Egg– Make sure to use an egg at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract & almond extract- The almond extract is optional but it will make these cookie bars taste even better
- Flour- All-purpose flour works great for this recipe.
- Corn starch- The corn starch will make these bars extra tender.
- Baking powder- This is our leavening agent.
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your baked goods.
For the orange buttercream frosting
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Orange food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles & Halloween candy eyeballs – This is what I used but feel free to play around with your favorite sprinkles!
How to make the best Halloween sugar cookie bars?
This is how you can make the most perfect Halloween dessert. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
For the sugar cookie base
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. You can make this using a stand mixer, an electric mixer, a hand mixer, or even just using a whisk and a rubber spatula!
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Fold in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt until soft dough forms
- spread into the prepared pan, and bake in the preheated oven.
- Don’t worry if your bars look underdone, for best results
- Let the cookies cool down before frosting.
For the orange vanilla buttercream
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Whisk vanilla extract and heavy cream until fluffy again.
- Mix in the orange gel food coloring.
- Frost the sugar cookie bars with a thick layer of frosting and lots of sprinkles on the top.
Why do you need to make this recipe?
- This is a great treat that you can make to celebrate Halloween without any fuss!
- It takes regular sugar cookie bars and transforms them into a spooky dessert.
- This is an easy recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients.
- It is the perfect treat to make ahead of time especially if you don’t have a lot of time on Halloween day!
- This recipe will also save you a ton of time because you don’t have to scoop, roll, and frost individual cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
How to store these Halloween sugar cookies?
You can store these sugar cookie bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. I like to have them chilled but if you prefer them a little softer, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes to get the frosting to soften up a bit more.
Can I freeze these sugar cookie bars?
These soft frosted sugar cookie bars freeze so well even after being frosted. I like to flash freeze mine on a baking sheet or a flat surface before transferring them to an airtight container and freezing them for later.
Just make sure that you are placing wax paper or parchment paper between each layer of cookie bars to keep the frosting and decorations intact.
The best Halloween sugar cookie bars
Spooky Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars
- 4 tablespoon butter salted or unsalted, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla exract
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- spooky sprinkles
- Halloween eyeball candies
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Set side.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg, almond extract (if using), and the vanilla extract, and mix to combine.½ cup butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 large egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch just until the flour mixture barely disappears. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. The center will still look raw but don't worry these bars will continue baking as they cool down.½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup all purpose flour, 3 tablespoon cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whip the softened butter, and powdered sugar together until combined. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy.4 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla exract, 3 tablespoon heavy cream, 1 cup powdered sugar
- Frost the sugar cookie bars with that then top with sprinkles and eyeballs. slice and serve if you prefer your frosting on the softer side or chill them a bit to allow the frosting to set before enjoying.spooky sprinkles, Halloween eyeball candies
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!