These Valentine’s day sugar cookie bars are one of the most fun and delicious treats to make for the holiday. They are made with a buttery vanilla sugar cookie base and topped with a gorgeous bright pink buttercream and decorated with cute Valentine’s day sprinkles.
We all know that Valentin’s day is one of that very hallmark kind of holiday where the main focus is to sell things but you know your girl can’t pass up a pink-inspired celebration.
It’s one of my favorite colors and what better than this hallmark holiday to show those you love a little extra affection and love!
This is the best Valentine’s day sugar cookie recipe ever!
Plus with this recipe, you don’t really have to buy much. You probably already have all the simple ingredients use to make it in your pantry. Okay okay maybe you’ll need to get some sprinkles and food coloring but that is it.
Personally, I always have a few extra holiday sprinkles from last year that I use but this year I wanted to go with something a little extra because why not so these are the ones I used in the pictures you see in this article.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It is made with ingredients you already have in your pantry.
- No need to chill or roll out individual sugar cookies with this one, all you have to do is spread the dough onto your prepared 8×8 baking pan and bake!
- You can get your little ones involved by helping you decorate these sugar cookies when they cool down.
- These make great Valentine’s day gifts for friends and loved ones.
Ingredients for this Valentine’s day sugar cookie bar recipe.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this super cute treat. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– Make sure to use softened butter, salted or unsalted both work
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar- The mixture of sugars will make your cookie bars extra soft.
- Egg– Make sure that the egg is at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- The vanilla extract will take these bars to the next level.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works great for this recipe.
- Baking powder- This is our leavening agent.
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your baked goods.
- Powdered sugar– This is to sweeten our frosting.
- Heavy cream- Make sure to use extra cold heavy cream to create a light and fluffy frosting.
- Festive sprinkles- Pick your favorites and decorate as you please!
- Pink & purple gel food coloring– This is to decorate the frosting.
How to make the tastiest pink sugar cookie bars?
This is how you can make the best pink sugar cookie bars. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream the butter and both sugars together until creamy.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt until soft dough forms
- spread into the prepared pan, and bake in the preheated oven.
- Don’t worry if your bars look underdone, for the best results we are baking them a bit less to keep them soft.
- Let the cookies cool down before frosting.
MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and the heavy cream and whip until fluffy again.
- Mix in some pink gel food coloring until you reach your desired color.
- Frost the sugar cookie bars and sprinkle with Valentine’s day sprinkles, chill to allow the frosting to set, slice, and enjoy!
You can make these cookies with a paddle attachment and a stand mixer, a hand mixer or even by hand! You’ll just have to put in some extra elbow grease to make your frosting extra fluffy!
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
HOW TO STORE SUGAR COOKIE BARS?
You can store these sugar cookie bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. I like to have them chilled but if you prefer them a little softer, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes to get the frosting to soften up a bit more.
CAN I FREEZE Valentine’s day sugar COOKIE BARS?
These soft frosted sugar cookie bars freeze so well even after being frosted. I like to flash freeze mine on a baking sheet or a flat surface before transferring them to an airtight container and freezing them for later. Just make sure that you are placing wax paper or parchment paper between each layer of cookie bars to keep the frosting and decorations intact.
Can I also color my sugar cookie bar dough?
Absolutley! I didn’t color mine because I like the contrast between light cookie bar and pink buttercream but you can definitely play around with coloring your base as well. Add your food coloring when you add in the egg and the vanilla extract.
Valentine’s day sugar cookie bars
Valentine’s day sugar cookie bars
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 & ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Set side.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add in the egg, and the vanilla extract, and mix to combine.½ cup butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 large egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt just until the flour mixture barely disappears. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. The center will still look raw but don't worry these bars will continue baking as they cool down.½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 & ¼ cup all purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whip the softened butter, and powdered sugar together until combined. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy.4 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla exract, 2 tablespoon heavy cream, 1 cup powdered sugar
- If you want to give these the same marbled look as mine, divide he frosting into two bowls and color one with the pink gel food coloring and the second one with the purple food coloring.
- Frost the sugar cookie bars with dollops of purple frosting and dollops of pink frosting, then top with sprinkles. slice and serve if you prefer your frosting on the softer side or chill them a bit to allow the frosting to set before enjoying.Valentine's day srinkles
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!