These Giant Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies have made it to the top 5 cookies I’ve ever made. They are huge, super chocolaty, and so soft on the inside. The nuts add an amazing flavor and textural element to the whole thing.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
It seems like I am posting one to two cookie recipe per week! My sister is starting to get over them really quickly but I have to share my best recipes with you guys before Christmas!
I mean everyone has to bake some cookies for Santa right!
This week’s cookie is this amazing thick walnut chocolate chip cookie. It is packed with two types of chocolate, nuts, and all the love in the world.
To all my thick cookie lovers! These walnut cookies are for you 🙂
These are thick and chewy! They have the perfect amount of chocolate chips to nut ratio with the perfect outside crust.
More cookie recipe you’ll love !
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- The Ultimate Holiday Cookie Line Up!
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients for these Walnut Chocolate Chip cookie
Cookies, cookies, cookies! They’re pretty much all the same with a couple of little tweaks here and there to make them extra special. For this chocolate chip walnut cookie recipe you will need:
- Butter- The base to any cookie recipe. I use unsalter butter since I add a little bit extra slat in this recipe but if you want to use salted butter, please go ahead! Just omit the extra salt from this recipe.
- Brown sugar– This is to get that perfect molasses flavor as well as to keep the cookies extra chewy!
- Granulated sugar- This is to get that nice crisp outside, while still staying chewy on the inside.
- Eggs– You will need 2 eggs at room temperature for these chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- Vanilla – Vanilla elevates the flavors and adds a little bit of a depth to the recipe.
- Flour– I use regular all purpose flour for these cookies
- Corn starch– Corn starch is used to soften the harsh proteins of the flour, making for a more tender and soft chocolate chip cookie.
- Baking soda– This will give our cookie a nice and chewy texture as well.
- Salt – Salt is always a must when baking, it adds more depth of flavor to the final product.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies– I used semi sweet regular sized chocolate chips as well as mini semi sweet chocolate chips. You can use just one size if you do not have both on hand.
- Walnuts- These are the star of the recipe! If you do not have walnuts you can use any other nuts you’d like! Just follow a 1:1 ratio. If you’d like to know more about the health benefits of walnuts, check this out!
How to make these walnut chocolate chip cookies [STEP BY STEP WITH IMAGES]
TO make these super soft and chewy huge chocolate chip cookies, start by creaming the butter and both sugars together until smooth.
Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat together until everything is smooth and incorporated.
Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the the flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt and mix just until combined!
With the mixer still on low, add in the two types of chocolate chips and the walnuts and mix just until combined. If you are using a hand mixer, stop and fold them using a spatula. You do not want to break your mixer!
Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out 13 equal cookie dough balls and place them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place the cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes, then bake at 375F for 15 minutes.
The cookies on this image were moved to a bigger baking sheet before baking.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack. This will allow them to cool a little longer.
What Kind of chocolate chips can I use?
I have learned the hard way that the type of chocolate plays a huge role on how well the cookies will come out! For example, I have made chocolate chip cookie with Hershey’s chocolate chip and they turned out terrible!
They do not melt correctly, and they have a fake too sweet flavor. so please please please! Choose the best chocolate chips you can afford! I used these Ghirardelli regular sized semi sweet chocolate chips and the target brand mini semi sweet chocolate chips.
Surprisingly the target chocolate chips are actually pretty good!
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Walnut chocolate chip cookies
- A stand mixer or a hand mixer
- First start by preheating your oven to 375F, then line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar and the granulated sugar with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer until smooth. This will take 3-4 minutes. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add in the room temperature eggs and vanilla, mixing on low speed until fully incorporated. Continue mixing for about 2-3 minutes until the batter is nice and smooth. Keep scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the the flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt and mix just until combined! DO NOT OVER MIX!
- With the mixer still on low, add in the two types of chocolate chips and the walnuts and mix just until combined. If you are using a hand mixer, stop and fold them using a spatula. You do not want to break your mixer!
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out 13 equal cookie dough balls and place them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place the cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes, then bake at 375F for 15 minutes.
- Allow the cookie to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy these cookies either warm with a cup of milk or cold with a cup of hot tea!
- Do not over mix these cookies when you add in the flour. Doing so will create more gluten that we do not want in these cookie. They will be tough and hard if you over mix them.
- Do not over-bake the cookies. They are giant and will still be raw in the center when you pull them out of the oven but will continue cooking when they sit on the baking sheet for a little longer.
- You do not have to use two types of chocolate chips if you do not have the choice! Just use a full cup of whatever chocolate chip you have on hand!
Do you need to use walnuts in this chocolate chip cookie recipe?
Absolutely not! I used walnuts because they are in season and I was able to get a great deal on them but If you don’t have them, it is not a big deal at all! Instead of the walnuts you could use:
- Peanuts– I recently posted a S’mores peanut butter cookie recipe and this would be somewhat similar… Without the S’mores aspect though.
- Macadamia nuts- These are a bit more pricey but will yield a super delicious and luxurious cookie. I would save these for a special occasion!
- Pecans– These are also in season right now and would work perfectly well with this huge soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- Pistachios– These will add an extra burst of flavor as well as a beautiful layer of color. I love the vibrant green in the pistachios, they would make these so so festive.
Tips for making the perfect Walnut chocolate chip soft cookie!
Once you nail one chocolate chip cookie recipe you will pretty much be set for success in every other choc chip cookie recipe you make! They often all have the same tips and rule of thumb, some of the tips that I would give you for this recipe would be:
- Read the instructions before starting! I know many people who read the ingredients and right away start mixing things together! The directions are these for a reason, read them! They will show you the exact steps to making the cookies and nailing them!
- Don’t over-bake the cookies!I say it pretty much every time. These cookies are not meant to be biscuits. They’re meant to be soft and chewy, and the way to get that would be to not over-bake them. Know that the cookies will continue baking when you pull them out of the oven. Just don’t eat them as soon as they come out because they will still be raw on the inside. Give them 10-15 minutes before enjoying them!
- Share with your loved ones! I guess this is not a baking tips, but these cookies are pretty big and delicious too… 😉 So share them with the people you care about the most! They will absolutely love you for it!
Shop this recipe
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.