A quick lentil salad recipe for the perfect weeknight dinner. This Mediterranean lentil salad is quick and easy to throw together. It has a ton of protein and iron to keep you full and satisfied for longer periods of time and on top of that it tastes incredibly fresh! Try this cold salad out for yourself and see.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Sometimes, after I share what feels like 1000 sweet recipes I like to balance it out with a few healthy recipes as well… I guess, I should say I like to share a few healthy recipes with you guys. Because when I was making those deliciously yummy treats, I was enjoying this as my healthy balanced meal alongside a slice or two of my Moist Honey Tea Cake Loaf Just Like Grandma’s or Tea Time Chocolate Loaf Cake With A Coffee Frosting!
This healthy lentil salad recipe is near and dear to my heart because it is extremely easy to throw together. It’s so easy that I love making it for potlucks or even as a healthy holiday side dish.
This is the best Mediterranean lentil salad ever!
I’m actually known for bringing dishes that are filling and nutritious enough on their own to parties because often times I can’t eat everything that everyone else since I have multiple dietary restrictions. So with this filling and satisfying salad, I am always good!
Another thing that I love about this recipe for lentil salad is the fact that all the ingredients are easy to find. So whether be it summer or winter I know that I can make this with no issues!
Since we’re on a salad topic, you have to check out this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad!
Ingredients for this mediterranean lentil salad
- Dry lentils– I use brown lentils because they maintain their shape well and won’t get too mushy in the cooking process.
- Parsley– I love using curly parsley for the recipe both for the texture as well as for the flavor.
- Red Onion– Red onions will give this salad an extra kick.
- Jalapeños– I love adding jalapeños for an extra touch of spice but if you don’t like jalapenos feel free to trade that for green bell peppers.
- Olive Oil– I like to use the best tasting olive oil ever because it will add to the flavor of the salad. I always use Algerian olive oil but Italian or anything Mediterranean will work great!
- Lemon juice– Lemon juice to balance out all the flavors going on here and add a little sour to the dish!
- Salt & pepper– salt and pepper to taste.
What lentils work best for cold lentil salad?
Listen, I love all lentils… I don’t discriminate but some fit certain recipes better than others. In this case, you want to go with brown or green whole lentils. I always have some brown lentils on hand because they are sold pretty much everywhere and are very versatile. Avoid using split lentils or orange lentils for this recipe. They will turn become too mushy.
Why are lentils good for you?
lentils are usually pretty low in calories but full of nutrients. They are very rich in iron and folate and can be an excellent source of vegetarian protein. These little beans are also great to incorporate into your diet if you are trying to lose some weight because they will keep you full due to the high content of fiber.
Are lentils gluten free?
Lentils are gluten free, yes. Just like chickpeas and chickpea flour, lentil flour is often used as a gluten free flour option. So if you have gluten sensitivities or
But just like oats, lentils are gluten free but can be processed in facilities that also process other ingredients that might contain gluten. So make sure to check the packaging for a “gluten free” label to stay safe if you get severe allergic reactions to it.
How to make this healthy lentil salad?
First, start by cooking the lentils according to the package directions. If you are using brown lentils, bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large pot, add in the lentils and boil them in there for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain the lentils and set them aside to cool.
Add in the lentils to a bowl, then the parsley, the red onion, as well as the jalapeños. Top everything with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir until combined and serve.
How to store lentil salad?
This mediterranean lentil salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I love making it on Sundays and using it as a meal prep option. This is definitely a back to school friendly recipe!
Mediterranean lentil salad
If you tried this recipe and loved it make sure to give it a 5 star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the recipe and description.
mediterranean lentil salad
- First, start by cooking the lentils according to the package directions. If you are using brown lentils, bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large pot, add in the lentils and boil them in there for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain the lentils and set them aside to cool.
- Add in the lentils to a bowl, then the parsley, the red onion, as well as the jalapeños. Top everything with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir until combined and serve.
- This salad can be enjoyed immediately or can be stored n the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Thank you so much for making it all the way down here! If you enjoyed this healthy and quick lentil salad recipe, don’t forget to let us know in the comments below. In the mean time, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!