Chocolate loaf cake with a silky smooth no powdered sugar coffee frosting!
This chocolate pound cake is moist, dense, and packed with chocolate flavor. It is paired with a smooth no powdered sugar coffee frosting to make for the perfect tea time treat. I love having a slice of this with a cup of tea or a tall glass of milk and enjoy the little things.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Loaf cakes remind me of my youth. When I lived in Algeria, life seemed to move a little slower. We enjoyed the little things… I didn’t think much of it until I grew older and realized that that’s not something that is enjoyed everywhere. That’s why I am here to make tea time a thing again!
This week I want bring tea time to America, teach people that it’s okay to take a little time for yourself and family and sit down around a beautifully decorated chocolate loaf cake.
This is an easy chocolate cake recipe topped with no powdered sugar coffee frosting!
To me, nothing beats a slice of chocolate cake… Actually a slice of chocolate cake with coffee frosting should I say! It is moist, dense and rich with a thick layer of homemade no powdered sugar coffee frosting… Seriously, yum!
This cake is not overly sweet, that’s why it pairs so well with this coffee frosting. The two of them work together in perfect harmony to bring your the best chocolate cake ever! They pair so well with a tall glass of milk or a cup of coffee or even tea!
What’s so special about this
I love this chocolate loaf cake because of a few reasons:
- It is easy to make.
- It looks pretty impressive without much work
- The chocolate comes through perfectly.
- While the coffee frosting adds an elevated taste to the chocolate loaf cake!
- It stores in the freezer well!
Take this simple chocolate loaf cake and make it extravagant with the coffee frosting!
Yup! The chocolate cake is absolutely delicious on its own but you can take it from everyday breakfast item to a show stopping dessert in about 5 minutes. By topping it with the coffee frosting you will make it look a whole lot better as well as taste incredible 🙂
What is a loaf cake?
Loaf cake is as simple as it sounds! It is a cake that is baked in a loaf pan. It is taller and is often more moist than regular cakes. I tis often served without frosting but for the sake of this recipe we are topping our homemade chocolate loaf cake with a silky smooth coffee frosting and some cocoa nibs for looks and crunch.
Ingredients for this chocolate load cake
To make this chocolate loaf cake and the no powdered sugar coffee frosting you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter– The butter has to be at room temperature.
- Sugar– Granulated sugar works perfectly for this recipe.
- Eggs– The eggs will need to be at room temperature as well.
- Cocoa powder–
- Baking powder
- Instant coffee
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to make this chocolate loaf cake
First start by preheating the oven to 355F, then line your 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer cream the butter, sugar, and instant coffee until light and fluffy. This can take 3-5 minutes. No add in the vanilla, eggs, and egg yolk one at a time, mixing between each addition.
Once the mixture is smooth and homogenous, add in the flour, cocoa powder, and the baking powder and mix on low speed just until everything is combined. Pour the batter in the prepared baking pan, smooth out the top with a spatula and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is baked, pull it out of the oven, let it cool down in the baking pan for 10 minutes then transfer it to a cooling rack.Let the cake cool completely before frosting the top.
I actually have a detailed article showing you exactly how to make this no powdered sugar coffee frosting recipe.
All you need to do is whip the butter then add in the cold sweetened condensed milk, whip again until its time to add in the instant coffee!
See, simple and delicious coffee frosting in 10 minutes or less!
Tips to make the best chocolate cake loaf!
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature- This recipe requires you to have your ingredients at room temperature to make sure that the batter is as smooth as possible.
- Don’t over mix- The more you mix your cake batter the more chewy it becomes, and that is not what we are going for! When you over mix a cake, you end up creating more gluten that you want and that’s a no no for this recipe.
- Don’t skip the pan prep- Either butter and flour your pan or line it with parchment paper to make sure that the cake does not stick. I’ve had this happen to me, where I make a stunning cake for it not to come out of the pan or break halfway through! It is not fun at all, so the simple step of prepping your pan will go a long way.
Tea Time Chocolate Loaf Cake With A Coffee Frosting
If you enjoyed this moist chocolate oaf cake make sure to leave a five star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description.
Easy chocolate loaf cake with coffee frosting
- First start by preheating the oven to 355F, then line your 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter, sugar, and instant coffee until light and fluffy. This can take 3-5 minutes. No add in the vanilla, eggs, and egg yolk one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Once the mixture is smooth and homogenous, add in the flour, cocoa powder, and the baking powder and mix on low speed just until everything is combined. Pour the batter in the prepared baking pan, smooth out the top with a spatula and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, pull it out of the oven, let it cool down in the baking pan for 10 minutes then transfer it to a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely before frosting the top.
- In a small bowl mix the instant coffee and the hot water together, set aside to cool.
- Using the whisk attachement, whip the butter until it is light in color and fluffy. Add in the cold sweetened condensed milk and mix for another 1-2 minutes to get everything fully incorporated. Add in the instant coffee mixture and whip one last time.
- Frost the cooled down chocolate loaf cake with the coffee frosting, making c shaped with a spoon to get the same design as the photos in this article. Sprinkle some cacao nibs or chocolate sprinkles on top. and enjoy!
Thank you so much for making it all the way down here! If you tried this easy chocolate cake recipe make sure to let us know in the comments down below! In the mean time don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!