You need this double chocolate banana bread in your life. It is packed with chocolate chips, powdered cocoa, and moist super ripe mashed bananas. It takes a classic banana bread recipe to the next level for all my chocolate lovers.
Since you are here you have to check out this streusel pecan banana bread, brown butter banana bread, and these banana bread cookies. I’m sure you will find your best banana bread recipe amongst these!
This is the best chocolate banana bread ever!
When I tell you that this double chocolate banana bread recipe will be your go-to every time you crave something chocolatey you have to believe me and also proceed with caution because it is one of the most addictive sweet chocolate loaves you’ll ever make.
All it requires are a handful of ingredients that you mix together and then bake, which in my honest opinion is the hardest part.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- This chocolate banana bread tastes just like a chocolate cake but with the extra moisture from the brown bananas.
- It is one of those quick breads that don’t require much work, just mix, bake, and enjoy!
- This recipe is a great way to use up those ripe whole bananas that have been sitting on the counter for a few days now.
- It is made using simple ingredients but is perfect for when that sweet tooth hits.
Ingredients for this chocolate banana bread.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this quick banana bread. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Bananas- You want to make sure to use extra ripe bananas for a richer flavor.
- Oil & butter- The mixture of butter and oil helps keep our loaf extra moist while still getting that rich butter flavor.
- Brown sugar- The brown. sugar gives our load that extra depth of flavor.
- Eggs- Make sure that these are at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- This will also help give. a little more depth of flavor.
- Greek yogurt- I like using Greek yogurt for this step but sour cream will work just as well.
- Baking soda- This is our leavening agent.
- Salt- Always add a little salt to your baked good to balance out the sweetness of the treat.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works great for this recipe.
- Cocoa powder– Use high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder for the best-tasting loaf pan.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips- You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or even chocolate chunks since I think those melt even better in your loaf when baked. It is the best way to take it to the next level. If you prefer dark chocolate or even milk chocolate feel free to use that as well.
If you love nuts in your banana bread you can add about ½ cup of chopped walnuts or pecan for extra crunch.
How to make double chocolate chip banana bread
This is how you can make this chocolate banana bread. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the oil, melted butter, and sugar together.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, and greek yogurt and mix.
- Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until the flour mixture disappears then fold in the chocolate chips of chocolate chunks to give it even more of a chocolate flavor.
- Pour the chocolate banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan, top with extra mini semisweet chocolate chips, and bake in the oven.
- You will know your banana bread is ready when you insert a knife or wooden skewer in the center and only a few moist crumbs come out.
- Pull out of the oven and let the loaf cool down for a little bit before pulling it out of the pan and transferring it to a cooling rack to cool down some more.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store this banana bread?
You can store it at room temperature in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap tightly for up to 3-4 days.
Can I freeze banana bread?
Yes! You can store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. I like to store it sliced so I can pull them out whenever the cravings hit but it can also be stored whole. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours.
How to make banana bread moist?
Following this recipe to the T is a sure way to get a very moist banana bread. I think the addition of oil to the butter will also help keep it extremely moist. When making this try to use a kitchen scale to get the flour measurement right because if you pack the flour onto measuring cups the loaf will be more on the dry side. If you do not have a kitchen scale use the spoon and level method.
How ripe should bananas be for my double chocolate banana bread?
Overripe bananas are the best way to do this because they will be a lot softer and extremely sweet which will help flavor the banana bread and give it that extra moisture.
Chocolate moist banana bread
Double chocolate banana bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees then spray a 9x5x3 loaf pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Add the oil butter, and sugar to a bowl and whisk until combined.¼ cup oil, ¼ cup butter, ¾ cup brown sugar
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, mashed-up bananas, and greek yogurt and mix.3 medium ripe bananas, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ cup greek yogurt
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, mix then add the chocolate chips. Don't overmix. Pour into the prepared baking pan and top with extra mini chocolate chips.1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, 1 cup chocolate chips, ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, you'll know the banana bread is ready when you stick a wooden skewer in the center and it comes out clean. Let the banana bread cool down in the pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool down fully before slicing into it.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!