This cranberry apple crisp recipe uses fresh cranberries as well as apples to bring you the perfect dessert for the holiday season. It is sweet, tangy, crispy and oh so delicious!
If you are in need of a simple dessert this holiday season, I got you back! This delicious dessert combines tart cranberries with sweet apples to bring you something that screams fall and winter, especially if you’re into everything cozy and comforting.
This is the most delicious cranberry apple crisp ever!
If you have a sweet tooth like me but sometimes find yourself craving something more on the fruity side then you have to give this a try. The best part is that is can be made in no time the hardest part is waiting for it to bake in the oven and cool down slightly before you can serve it.
Plus since we are using all these seasonal fruits, this dessert packs a lot of dietary fiber as well as vitamin c in it making it healthier(ish) right? If you try this recipe don’t forget to leave a star rating and let me know what you thought of it in the comments at the bottom of the article.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It is a budget-friendly recipe especially now that everything is so much more expensive.
- This is a super easy holiday dessert that even beginners can make.
- It is perfectly served cold or warm depending on your preference.
- This is a super versatile recipe that can be made for Thanksgiving as well as for Christmas.
Ingredients for this apple-cranberry crisp recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this sweet crisp home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Cranberries– You can use fresh or frozen cranberries for this recipe.
- Apples– Granny smith apples or honey crisp apples work well for this recipe. But this is such a forgiving recipe that you can honestly use whatever you have on hand for a quick and easy dessert that your dinner guests will adore.
- Cinnamon, and nutmeg- These are warming spices that fit the season and will elevate our simple dessert.
- Vanilla extract- This is a great way to add extra depth of flavor.
- Brown sugar- The brown sugar will sweeten our fruit filling.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works well for the sweet streusel topping.
- Oats– This recipe uses old-fashioned oats for the oat streusel topping.
- Butter- Make sure to use cold butter for this recipe. Both salted and unsalted butter would work great for this.
How to make this easy apple cranberry crisp
This is how you can make this cozy dessert. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, oats, and cinnamon together in a large bowl to make the crisp topping.
- Add in the cold cubed butter and mix with a pastry blender or by hand until small clumps form.
- Set that mixture aside in the fridge.
- In your baking 9-inch baking dish or 8×8 baking pan combine the apples and cranberries, vanilla extract, sugar, and spices.
- Top the fruits with the oat mixture we prepared earlier and wrap the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven.
- Let the fruit crisp cool down for a few minutes so you allow it to set before serving it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store this dessert?
You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can enjoy it cold or reheat it in an oven-safe dish for 15-20 minutes at 350F
Can I make this cranberry apple crisp ahead of time?
You sure can! Prepare it as per the recipe then let it cool down completely. Wrap it tightly before storing it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes.
If you want to bake it the day of all you have to do is assemble the crisp as per the recipe and tightly wrap it before baking it. Store it in the freezer and store it until you are ready to bake. Bake it for a few minutes extra if baking from frozen.
Can I make this with frozen cranberries?
Absolutely! If it isn’t cranberry season, you can always use frozen cranberries and bake them as per the recipe’s directions.
Can I make this dessert vegan?
This recipe is super forgiving so if you want to make it vegan you can use coconut oil or vegan butter instead of regular butter.
Can I add nuts to the crisp topping?
Want to take this easy dessert to the next level, add some pecans, almonds, or even walnuts to the crumble topping. The nuttiness will pair so well with the tart fruit base. Plus it will add a nice crunch that will pair well with the soft filling.
Holiday cranberry apple crisp
The best cranberry apple crisp
For the topping
- preheat the oven to 350F.
- Peel and chop the apples, and them to a large bowl with the cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, corn starch and nutmeg, and mix to combine. Pour into a 9-inch pie place or an 8×8-inch square pan.3 large honey crisp apples, 1 & ½ cup cranberries, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoon corn starch
- In a separate large bowl mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the cold cubed butter and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix with a pastry cutter or clean hands. You'll know it's ready when the mixture is crumbly and looks like small peas.⅔ cup Flour, ¾ cup Oats, ⅔ cup Brown sugar, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup Butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the dry mixture evenly on top of the cranberry-apple mixture and bake in the oven for 55 minutes. Make sure to place your dish on a baking sheet because it might leak.
- Let the cranberry apple crisp rest for 5-10 minutes to set before serving it with ice cream.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!