These brown butter cherry chocolate chip cookies are some of the best treats that you can make for the holidays! They are the perfect balance of nutty flavors from the browned butter, and tangy cherry flavor from the dried cherries that we are using. All of that is combined together with high-quality chocolate chunks to yield the ultimate soft and chewy cookies.
Since you are here, make sure to check out this brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, these small batch traditional chocolate chip cookies, the brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, as well as these brown butter chocolate chunk blondies.
This is the best brown butter chewy cherry chocolate chip cookie
These cookies are perfect for this time of year. They are simple and have delicate flavors from the brown butter mixed with the tangy dried-up cherries.
These irresistible cookies would make a scrumptious treat for the holidays, or can just be made as a fun weeknight or weekend baking project to have something delicious that you can enjoy all week long, and share with friends and family of course.
Why do you need to make this recipe?
- Unique flavors- The unique combination of dried cherries, browned butter, and dark chocolate works so well!
- Sweet, tart, and nutty
- Great for special occasions like Valentine’s Day and simple weeknight post-dinner dessert too!
- This recipe doesn’t use fresh cherries which aren’t in season long enough to make them accessible for everyone. Instead, it uses dried cherries which taste just as good and are easier to source.
Ingredients for this cherry chip cookies
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this cherry chocolate chip cookie recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– You can use salted of unsalted butter. In this recipe, we will brown the butter first, and then we will let the melted butter solidify. This process ensures that the baked cookies don’t leak oil when they come out of the oven.
- Flour – All-purpose flour works perfectly for this recipe.
- Brown and granulated sugar– This recipe uses a mixture of brown and white sugar for the perfect molasses flavor and texture. You can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar depending on preference.
- Eggs – The egg is used to bind the cookie dough as well as make it chewier.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract will add a little depth of flavor to these.
- Baking soda– This will give our cookies a little height.
- Salt – Always add a little salt to your baked goods for a balanced flavor if the butter doesn’t already have salt.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips – When it comes to cookies with chocolate chips, always try to get the best quality chocolate chips! Even if it’s the only amazing ingredient you spend a little more on, I highly suggest you get something a little more expensive to get that delicious rich chocolate flavor. I guarantee you that even white chocolate chips would yield the best cookies!
- Real cherries – We are using dried tart cherries for this step because they are available in stores year-long!
How to make the best chewy cherry cookies
This is how you can make this cherry homemade cookie recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Brown the butter first then chill it.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar and the granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the dried cherries and make sure that you aren’t overmixing the dough too much to keep that gooey center in your cookies.
- using a large cookie scooper that holds about 4 tablespoons of dough, scoop the cookie dough balls and place them on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven. If you want to be a little extra, top your baked cookies with extra chocolate and cherries to make them look super fancy.
- Let the cookies cool down before transferring to a wire rack or a cooling rack to cool down fully.
- Enjoy with a tall glass of milk!
You can make this by hand using a whisk, a hand mixer, an electric mixer, or even a stand mixer. Just make sure that you are not overmixing the dough.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
Are these cookies the same as maraschino cherry chocolate chip cookies?
We are using dried cherries in this cookie because they are more available and have more of that authentic cherry fruit flavor.
How to store these delicious chocolate cherry cookies?
You can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
CAN I FREEZE THESE COOKIES?
You sure can! You can store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight or on the countertop for a few hours before you’re ready to enjoy them!
I love heating up my cookies in the microwave for a few seconds to get the chocolate ooey gooey again!
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT BROWN BUTTER?
To make brown butter, you will need to melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it starts boiling and foaming, stir it continuously to be able to see the color of the butter. You will smell a nutty fragrance and notice the color changing to a deep golden yellow. That’s when you know it is ready!
When the brown butter is ready, immediately transfer it to a heatproof bowl and let it cool down completely in the fridge. If you leave it in the medium saucepan to cool it might get burnt from the residual heat.
Brown Butter Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brown butter cherry chocolate chip cookies
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour + 2TBSP
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips I used the large chips from Guittard for these
- ¾ cup dried cherries
First brown the butter
- In a medium saucepan, start melting the butter over medium heat. Once it starts boiling gently stir the melter butter with a wooden spoon or gently swirl the pan to continuously stir it. After a couple of minutes the butter will change color, going from light yellow to deep golden yellow similar to honey color. There will be bubbles at the top so continue stirring the melted butter to see the color change.½ cup butter
- Once small brown bits begin to form and a nutty smell comes from the butter, you will know that it is ready. The butter can burn very quickly once it starts smelling nutty so don't walk away from it.
- Right away transfer the melted browned butter to a heatproof bowl and cool down in the fridge for about an hour. You want your butter to solidify so that you get the perfect thick chocolate chip cookies
Now onto the chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Once the brown butter is solid, transfer it to your stand mixer bowl. Add in the brown sugar and the granulated sugar and mix to combine. Add in the egg, and the vanilla, and mix one more time to get everything well incorporated.½ cup packed brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Now add in the flour, the baking soda, and the salt and stir just until combined. Avoid over-mixing the cookie dough! Add in the chocolate chips, and cherries, and fold to evenly distribute them.1 cup flour + 2TBSP, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅔ cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips, ¾ cup dried cherries
- Using a large cookie scooper or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop out the cookie dough and place it on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 9-10 minutes.
- When the cookies are baked, pull them out of the oven, top with more cherries and chocolate chips if you'd like then, let them cool down on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling wrack.
- Enjoy these cookies with a large glass of milk.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!