Brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies are one of those cookies that you will not be able to get enough of. Made with a nutty brown butter that elevates the flavor of the pecans, packed with chocolate chips resulting in a chewy cookie with crispy edges!
Since you are here, I know you will also love these walnut chocolate chip cookies, this small batch chocoalte chip cookie recipe as well as these brown butter candied pecan blondies.
Tis’ the season for everything chocolate chips, but also everything pecan! So I decided to go with a recipe that combines three of my favorite things into one, brown butter, chocolate chips, and pecans I mean how can you go wrong?
All of this creates a chewy cookie that stays insanely moist in the center with crispy edges. Each bite packs a bunch of chocolate chips and crunchy pecans making it one of the most delicious cookies you’ll ever make.
These are the best chocolate chip pecan cookies ever!
Plus with the abundance of pecans during this time of year, you have to try these.
One thing I love the most about this cookie recipe is the fact that is uses a bunch of different chocoalte chips. Mixing mini chocolate chips, regular chocolate chips, or even chocolate chunks in those will give you the best results ever! I can’t wait for you to try them, so without further ado, let’s get baking!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- They use brown butter making the extra nutty and with all that added depth of flavor how can you say no!
- This recipe gives you a few options for a no-chill cookie, a quick-chill cookie, or a long-chill cookie!
- They are soft in the center, chewy, and crunchy outside.
Ingredients for this pecan chocolate chip cookie recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this cookie recipe at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– You can use salted of unsalted butter. In this recipe, we will brown the butter first, and then we will let the melted butter solidify. This process ensures that the baked cookies don’t leak oil when they come out of the oven.
- Flour – All-purpose flour works perfectly for this recipe.
- Brown and granulated sugar– This recipe uses a mixture of brown and white sugar for the perfect molasses flavor and texture. You can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar depending on preference.
- Eggs – The egg is used to bind the cookie dough as well as make it chewier.
- Eggs yolk – This will make the cookies extra chewy.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla extract will add a little depth of flavor to these.
- Baking soda– This will give our cookies a little height.
- Salt – Always add a little salt to your baked goods for a balanced flavor if the butter doesn’t already have salt.
- Semi sweet, dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips – When it comes to cookies that have chocolate chips in them always try to get the best quality chocolate chips! Even if it’s the only amazing ingredient you spend a little more on, I highly suggest you get something a little more expensive to get that delicious rich chocolate flavor.
- Sea salt for topping- Adding sea salt on top of cookies will help add extra depth of flavor and balance out the sweetness of the cookies.
- Crunchy pecans- Mixing in chopped pecans in these chocolate chip cookies is what will take them to a whole new level.
How to make the best brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies.
This is how you can make these. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Brown the butter first then chill it.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar and the granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the chopped pecans, and make sure that you aren’t overmixing the dough too much to keep that gooey center in your cookies.
- using a large cookie scooper that holds about 4 tablespoons of dough school the cookie dough balls and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- For the perfect cookie chill before baking to allow those flavors to really seep through.
- Bake in the preheated oven. If you want to be a little extra, top your baked cookies with extra chocolate and pecans to make them look super fancy.
- Let the cookies cool down before transferring to a wire rack or a cooling rack to cool down fully.
- Enjoy with a tall glass of milk!
You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer/ electric mixer for this recipe.
How to make the perfect brown butter?
To make brown butter, you will need to melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it starts boiling and foaming, stir it continuously to be able to see the color of the butter. You will smell a nutty fragrance and notice the color changing to a deep golden yellow. That’s when you know it is ready!
When the brown butter is ready, immediately transfer it to a heatproof bowl and let it cool down completely in the fridge. If you leave it in the medium saucepan to cool it might get burnt from the residual heat.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store these butter pecan cookies?
You can store these in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. I love microwaving them for a few seconds to get them ooey gooey again.
Can I freeze these cookies?
You sure can! You can store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight or on the countertop for a few hours before you’re ready to enjoy them!
Can I use walnuts in this recipe instead?
You sure can! The flavor will be a little bit different since walnuts and pecans aren’t the exact same thing but you can substitute it at a 1:1 ratio.
Can I freeze cookie dough balls and bake them later?
You s sure can! Flash-freeze them on a baking sheet then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Once the craving hits, all you have to do is preheat the oven to 375F and bake for 12 minutes.
SHOULD I REFRIGERATE MY BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES before baking?
Well, the choice is yours. When I made these cookies I wanted to include multiple options for you to pick and choose from.
- If your cookie cravings are so strong that you really can’t wait you can bake these chocolate chip cookies right away with no chilling necessary. If you decide to go with the no-chill option, bake your cookies at 375F for 9-10 minutes.
- On the other hand, if you have a little time and want your brown butter toffee flavor to shine a little more, freeze your cookie dough balls for 20 minutes and then bake them. If you decide to flash freeze your cookie dough balls, bake them at 375F for 11-12 minutes.
- If you have the patience like the level 3 chef’s on the Epicurious series on youtube, store your cookies in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours to allow them to develop that amazing brown butter flavor, and then bake them at 350F for 15 minutes making sure to rotate the pan halfway through.
The best pecan chocolate chip cookie ever!
Brown butter pecan chocolate chip cookies
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour + 2TBSP
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips depending on how much chocolate chips you like in your cookies
- ½ cup pecans chopped, toasted
Read the whole recipe before you begin!
First brown the butter
- In a medium saucepan, start melting the butter over medium heat. Once it starts boiling gently stir the melter butter with a wooden spoon or gently swirl the pan to continuously stir it. After a couple of minutes the butter will change color, going from light yellow to deep golden yellow similar to honey color. There will be bubbles at the top so continue stirring the melted butter to see the color change.½ cup butter
- Once small brown bits begin to form and a nutty smell comes from the butter, you will know that it is ready. The butter can burn very quickly once it starts smelling nutty so don't walk away from it.
- Right away transfer the melted browned butter to a heatproof bowl and cool down in the fridge for about an hour. You want your butter to solidify so that you get the perfect thick chocolate chip cookies
Now onto the chocolate chip cookies
- Once the brown butter is solid, transfer it to your stand mixer bowl. Add in the brown sugar and the granulated sugar and cream for about 2 minutes. Add in the egg, and the vanilla, and mix one more time to get everything well incorporated.½ cup packed brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Now add in the flour, the baking soda, and the salt and stir just until combined. Avoid over-mixing the cookie dough! Add in the chocolate chips, and pecans, and fold to evenly distribute them.1 cup flour + 2TBSP, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅔ cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips, ½ cup pecans
- Using a large cookie scooper or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop out the cookie dough and place it on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet. Now you have three options:
If your cookie cravings are so strong that you really can't wait you can bake these chocolate chip cookies right away with no chilling necessary. Bake your cookies at 375F for 9-10 minutes. (Make sure to leave plenty of room between each cookie because they will spread)
If you have a little time and want your brown butter toffee flavor to shine a little more, freeze your cookie dough balls for 20 minutes and then bake them at 375F for 11-12 minutes. (Make sure to leave plenty of room between each cookie because they will spread)-
If you have the patience of a level 3 chef's on the Epicurious series on youtube, store your cookies in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours to allow them to develop that amazing brown butter flavor and then bake them at 350F for 15 minutes making sure to rotate the pan halfway through. (Make sure to leave plenty of room between each cookie because they will spread)
- When the cookies are baked, pull them out of the oven and let them cool down on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling wrack.
- Enjoy these cookies with a large glass of milk.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
Confused… How much is 1 & 2 tbsp cup flour?
1 cup and 2 T or
1T and 2 cups?
I would love to make these but I have never seen a recipe measurement written that way?
is 1 cup and 2 TBSP! So sorry about the confusion!