These almond flour chocolate chip cookies are gluten free and nut free. They are made just like regular chocolate chip cookies but use almond flour instead. They yield the perfectly soft & chewy on the inside while staying crispy on the outside. These chocolate chip cookies are so good, no one will know they’re made using almond flour!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Where are all my chocolate chip cookie lovers at? At my house we are obsessed with anything and everything chocolate chip. (The world’s best brown butter chocolate chip cookies, Sweet Tomatoes Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Chocolate chip edible cookie dough for one + 3 variations)
We practically have some sort of a chocolate chip recipe at the house all week round. Today, my sister finished the last bite of a Sprouts chocolate chip cookie recipe so I knew I had to get baking.
These are the best gluten free almond flour chocolate chip cookies ever!
The cool thing about these cookies though is that they are not made with white flour. Instead we use almond flour as the main flour in this recipe.
They taste a little like halva and I’m not mad about it the slightest. Each bite of these almond flour chocolate chip cookies is soft, chewy and packed with all the chocolate chips.
If you have some almond flour at the house, I urge you to try these because they’re AMAZING!
What’s so special about these almond flour chocolate chip cookies?
- Soft and chewy.
- Contain no gluten.
- Nut free cookie recipe.
- Made with almond flour.
- Will be ready in less than 30 minutes
- Freezer friendly and can store well in the fridge.
Ingredients for chocolate chip cookies made with almond flour
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter– You can use either salted of unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Brown & granulated sugar– The brown sugar and granulated sugar will sweeten the cookies and keep them moist and chewy.
- Vanilla– Always use vanilla extract in chocolate chip cookies, it’ll make them that much more special.
- Egg yolk– The egg yolk is used to give these cookies extra moisture and bind all the ingredients together.
- Almond flour- The almond flour used in this recipe has to be blanched almond flour not almond meal. Almond meal will make these cookie more dense and darker in color.
- Baking soda– The baking soda will be the leavening agent, giving these cookies a slight rise.
- Salt– Always use a little salt to balance out the sweetness of your baked goods.
- Chocolate chips- Can’t have chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips. Make sure that you’re using good quality chocolate chips for the best flavor.
Is almond flour expensive?
Almond flour is definitely more expensive than regular flour but I promise you it’s worth it! I like to buy it in bulk from Costco because there are so many great recipes that can be made using almond flour. Plus the taste it brings to your baked goods is out of this world!
Can I use coconut flour for these cookies?
No. Coconut flour works very differently compared to almond flour. It absorbs a ton of moisture from your cookies and will throw off the ratios
How to make gluten free chocolate chip cookies?
Here is how you can make your own almond flour cookies. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the exact directions.
- Cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until fluffy.
- Mix in the egg yolk and the vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until cookie dough forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 14 equally sized cookie dough balls using a small cookie scooper and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven, let the cookie cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then enjoy!
Pro tip for chocolate chip cookies!
Here is what no one tells you… Once the cookies are done baking, press a few more chocolate chips on top of the piping hot cookie. The heat from the chocolate chip cookies will melt those extra chocolate chips that you added and make them look like they were baked with the cookie itself.
This is a great tip if you’re trying to make your cookies look extra delicious and mouth watering or if you just want to take a pic for the gram and make all your friends jealous! haha…
Almond flour cookie variations:
This chocolate chip almond flour cookie recipe is amazing on its own but if you want to go a little crazy, here are a few variations:
- Use half chocolate chips half peanut butter chips.
- Mix in some sprinkles in there for chocolate chip sprinkle cookies.
- Add in some raisins instead of the chocolate chips and a dash of cinnamon for gluten free almond flour raisin cookies.
- Add in half the amount of white chocolate chips and half the amount of dried cranberries for a great Christmas almond flour cookie recipe.
More almond flour recipes you’ll love!
Almond flour chocolate chip cookie storage tips
How to store almond flour cookies?
Place the chocolate chip almond flour cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also keep them in the fridge for a few extra days. Just pop them in the microwave for 5 seconds before enjoying for an ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie!
Can you freeze almond flour cookies?
You sure can! Wait until the cookies are completely cool then place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Once you’re ready to enjoy your cookies, either let them thaw in the fridge overnight or leave on the counter to thaw out for a few hours.
You can also pop those bad boys in the microwave for a few seconds for a super easy delicious cookie!
Can you free the almond flour cookie dough?
Using a small cookie scoop, scpop out 14 equally sized cookie dough balls and place them on a parchement lined baking sheet. Place that baking sheet in the freezer for an hour or two or until they are fully frozen.
Once the cookie dough balls are frozen, place them in a ziplock bag or an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to bake the cookie, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them for 13-14 minutes at 350F.
Almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe
If you made these almond flour chocolate chip cookies and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Chewy almond flour chocolate chip cookies
- small cookie scoop
- First, start by preheating the oven to 350F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until creamy.
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add in the almond flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until cookie dough forms. Add in the chocolate chips and fold one last time.
- Using the small cookie scooper, scoop out 14 equally sized dough balls and place them on a baking sheet or. a plate and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place them on the parchment lined baking sheet making sure to leave an inch or two of space between each one so they have room when in the oven. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes or until the edges are turning golden brown and the center still looks very light. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for making it all the way down.
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the mean time, don’t forget to follow me on instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!