These soft and chewy sweet tomatoes chocolate chip cookie bars are inspired by the cookie bites offered at Sweet tomatoes or the soup plantation. They are soft, chewy and pair amazingly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This recipe is for all my thick chocolate chip cookie lovers!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
YOU GUYS! The pandemic has ended sweet tomatoes (soup plantation) and I am hurt. Their business model was buffet style and that was something that couldn’t continue due to the pandemic so in May they closed their doors for good.
That used to be out spot for many many years. I have so many memories of enjoying awesome meals with my family and friends… When I learned the news, there were many dishes that I knew I was gonna miss but their chocolate chip cookie bars were at the top of the list.
Naturally, seeking some sort of comfort, I had to remake them at home and it was pretty close.
These are the best chocolate chip cookie bars ever!
I remember the soup plantation chocolate chip cookie bars that were served at the end of the meal being not too thin and not too thick… They were actually just right.
Sweet tomatoes chocolate chip cookie bars were always kept warm. The perfect little vessel for their vanilla ice cream…
I’m seriously in my feels… Don’t be surprised if there is a sudden Sweet Tomatoes inspired recipes on the blog in the next few months because I feel restaurant sick (you know… Like homesick, but restaurant)
What makes these Sweet Tomatoes cookies bars so special?
- Soft and chewy.
- Packed with chocolate chips.
- Not overly sweet.
- Can be stored easily for a later day.
- They’re loaded with chocolate chips!
- The perfect 8×8 inch chocolate chip cookie bar recipe.
- It’s pretty much one giant cookie, what is there not to love.
- It’ll bring you closer to your Sweet Tomatoes / Soup Plantation memories.
What are bar cookies?
Bar cookies are pretty much cookies baked in a bar shape. If you are used to making cookies and cookie dough you will notice that the base recipe is pretty similar except for the fact that these are baked in an 8×8 inch pan.
Chocolate chip cookies made in one pan!
This recipe is for all of those who love baking but also love not doing too much. Yup, we exist. I am part of those lazy productive people actually, I will bake and cook and do all the things that need to be done but if there is a short cut like making the cookie sin a pan instead of scooping them out one by one. I will be doing that.
Plus it’s a great way to change things up!
Ingredients to make chewy chocolate chip cookie bars
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make these super easy chocolate chip cookie squares. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card to grab the full detailed ingredient list.
- Butter– Butter is the base for any good chocolate chip cookie recipe. The key is to use good quality butter!
- Brown sugar & granulated sugar- The brown and granulated sugar work together to give the best texture and sweetness of these cookie bars.
- Egg– You will need one egg at room temperature.
- vanilla– The vanilla will bring out a depth of flavor to your chocolate chip cookie bars.
- Flour– These chocolate cookie bars don’t require a huge amount of flour to keep the, soft and chewy.
- Baking soda – This is going to give a little height to our cookie bars.
- Salt– Always add a little salt to your sweet treats to balance out the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips– Of course, the chocolate chips! Make sure to use good quality chocolate chips to get the best cookie bars ever!
Cookie bar mix-in ideas
Something that I adore about baking is that you can get creative (to a certain extent). In this case, you can add a few mix ins to the cookie dough batter before baking for a super fun treat! Here are a few ideas:
- White chocolate- Some white chocolate chips with the semi sweet chocolate chips would go so perfectly together!
- Sprinkles– Everything is better with sprinkles! Am I right? Here is a Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough for One for my sprinkles lovers!
- Peanut butter chips– I am obsessed with peanut butter anything so peanut butter chips are dangerous for me to have in the house. They do work really well in this cookie bar recipe!
- Frozen nutella dollops– I love adding frozen nutella dollops in the center layer of these cookie bars. If you love Nutella stuffed cookies this Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is for you!
- Dry mangoes– Trust me, dry mangoes are such a treat with chocolate chip anything!
Here are a few more cookie recipes you will love!
- Almond Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
- The Best Soft and Chewy Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Espresso chocolate chip cookies
How to make 8×8 inch chocolate chip cookie bars?
Here is how you can make these Sweet Tomatoes cookie bars copycat recipe at home! Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed recipe steps.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl, let it cool for a few minutes then mix in the brown sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined
- Gently add in the dry ingredients and fold just until combined.
- Finally, add in the chocolate chips!
- Spread the chocolate chip cookie dough batter in the parchment lined baking pan and bake.
- Top the cookie bars with extra chocolate chips as soon as you pull them out of the oven for that perfect chocolate chip cookie bar look.
- Let it cool completely before slicing into the chocolate chip cookie bar.
How to know when cookie bars are done baking?
You will know when these chocolate chip cookie bars are done baking when the edges are golden brown and the top looks set. The cookie itself might still have a little jiggle to it but it will continue baking as it cools. This yields the perfect ooey gooey cookie center.
Tips to make the best Soup Plantation cookie bar recipe ever!
Here are a few tips that will make your life a whole lot easier!
- Use room temperature ingredients- Using room temperature ingredients will ensure that the batter mixes together evenly.
- Don’t over mix your cookie dough batter– Once you add in your dry ingredients, avoid over mixing your cookie dough so keep the cookie bars from becoming tough.
- Use good quality chocolate chips– Since the main ingredient flavor is chocolate chips, you have to use good quality chocolate chips to get the best tasking bars! Trust me on this.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper– Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper will keep things less messy and help you pull out the cookie bars easier.
- Let your chocolate chip bars cool down before slicing into them– These chocolate chip cookie dough bars are fairly soft so allowing them to cool down a bit will hold them together better when you slice into them.
How to keep cookie bars soft?
I don’t know if you noticed, but chocolate chip cookie bars can dry out pretty quickly. Here is what you can do to prevent that.
As soon as the chocolate chip bars cool down, transfer them to an airtight container and store at room temperature.
How to store cookie bars?
You can store these bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. I like to pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds before enjoying them! So ooey gooey!
Can you freeze these Sweet Tomatoes chocolate chip cookie bars?
YES! These cookies bars freeze super well and make for the perfect little treat anytime you’re craving a sweet treat.
Wait for the cookie bars to cool fully before placing it in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and putting it in the freezer. These bars freeze for up to 3 months.
Once you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw them in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours, or just pop them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds if you want them right away!
Soft and chewy Sweet Tomatoes chocolate chip cookie bars (Soup Plantation copycat)
If you made these chocolate chip cookie bars and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- First start by preheating the oven to 350F then line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Let the butter cool down for 5-10 minutes at room temperature then add in the brown sugar, granulated sugar and mix until combined. Add in the room temperature egg, and the vanilla and mix again.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips and stir just until the flour mixture disappears.
- Gently spread the batter in the prepared baking sheet and bake for 17 minutes. Pull the chocolate chip cookie bars from the oven and top with a few more chocolate chips to get the perfect looking cookie bars. Let them cool down completely before pulling them out of the pan and slicing them.
Thank you so much for making it all the way down.
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the mean time, don’t forget to follow me on instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!