This moist vanilla bundt cake is one of those staple cake recipes that you can’t stop. It is rich, buttery, and has light hints of vanilla flavor. It is great for entertaining, birthdays, or just as a fun little bake to enjoy in the afternoon with a cup of tea!
Vanilla bundt cakes are one of those staple recipes that would fit any event that you need a cake for. Need a birthday cake, make this vnailla cake and ice and decorate it.
Need something to finish off a summer BBQ, make this bundt cake and serve it with a side of berries and whipped cream.
Are you in the mood for dessert just for fun, again make this bundt cake and enjoy it as is (which is what we did the last time I made it)!
This is the best vanilla bundt cake recipe ever!
This vanilla bundt cake is an easy to make, buttery, sweet, dense and melt in your mouth.
This recipe is made specifically to be extremely moist, because who likes dry cakes! It pairs amazingly with a nice cup of coffee or tea and stores very well.
What’s so special about this bundt cake
- Beautifully golden on the outside
- Impressive when decorated
- It tastes just like grandma’s cakes!
Ingredients for Vanilla bundt cake
Here are the ingredients you will need to make a vanilla cake recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Flour- You need all-purpose flour for this bundt cake recipe.
- Baking powder and baking soda– This is what will give some height to your bundt cake. Make sure that both the baking soda and baking powdered are not expired so that the cake rises well.
- Salt– As always, a little salt added to your baked goods helps balance out the sweetness of the baked goods.
- Butter– The butter will need to be at room temperature. It is one of the ingredients that will keep the cake extra moist.
- Sugar– You will need granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Egg– This recipe uses large eggs at room temperature.
- Buttermilk– The buttermilk will add moisture to the cake as well as help activate the leavening agents.
- Sour cream– The sour cream is used for the same purpose ad buttermilk. It brings extra moisture and helps the cake rise as well.
- Oil– You will need to use a flavorless oil like canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Vanilla extract– The vanilla extract is what gives the bundt cake its iconic vanilla flavor.
- Almond extract (optional)- The almond extract is used to enhance the vanilla flavor. it might seem like a weird flavor to have in a vanilla cake recipe but we use very little of it to make the other flavors shine!
How to make sure your bundt cake comes out of the pan
When it comes to bundt cakes, removing them flawlessly from the bundt pan is crucial to have a beautiful cake.
Before you pour the batter into the bundt pan, make sure to grease it with butter, shortening, or oil then dust it with flour making sure to cover every corner and edge of the pan. Dust the excess flour off then add in the batter and bake.
One of my favorite things to use for bundt cakes is this homemade goop or cake release mixture. It always works like a charm!
How to make a moist bundt cake
This is how you can make a vanilla cake. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Mix the dry ingredients together then set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup and whisk until combined then set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure to mix until combined before adding the next one.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and almond extract into the cake batter.
- Alternatively, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture in three times. (scrape the bowl as you go to get everything well incorporated)
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan, spread the batter evenly and bake.
- Pull the cake out of the oven, cool down for 20 minutes then carefully flip the bundt cake onto a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing into it.
The simple answer is that bundt cakes are cakes made in a bundt pan while pounds cakes are cakes that are made with a pound of each butter, eggs, sugar, and flour. At the same time, if you bake a pound cake batter in a bundt cake pan it would be considered a (pound cake) bundt cake! Did I confuse you yet?
What do to if your cake is darkening too quickly?
If the top of the bundt cake is darkening too quickly, you can cover the top of the bundt pan with aluminum foil. This will keep the cake from browning to much while it’s still baking in the oven.
How to check a bundt cake for doneness?
To check your cake for doneness, insert a knife or a wooden skewer in the highest part of the cake, then pull it out.
If the knife or wooden skewer comes out clean then you will know the cake is done. If it’s still covered in batter, then the cake needs a little longer in the oven.
How to store a bundt cake?
Storing bundt cakes properly is key to keep them moist.
You can wrap the cake in saran wrap and place it in an airtight container and leave it at room temperature for up to 2 days.
I usually like to wrap the cake in saran wrap and then place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure to pull the vanilla bundt cake out of the fridge and bring it back to room temperate before enjoying it.
How to freeze bundt cakes?
If you are making this bundt cake ahead of time you can cool the cake fully before wrapping it in palstic wrap, then aluminum foil. You can then place that in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Make sure to thaw the cake in the fridge overnight before serving!
More cake recipes you will love!
- Easy Vanilla Pancake Mix Cake
- Moist Honey Tea Cake Loaf Just Like Grandma’s
- The Best Moist Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
- Tea Time Chocolate Loaf Cake With A Coffee Frosting
Tips for the best vanilla bundt cake recipe!
- Use room temperature ingredients- Making sure to use room temperature ingredients will ensure that everything emulsifies properly. This will also ensure that my baking time and yours will be fairly similar.
- Add the eggs one at a time to get everything properly incorporated– When adding the eggs, make sure to add one at a time before mixing everything together. This will emulsify the butter and egg mixture together which is what we need!
- Scrape down the bowl as you go- When making large cakes or bundt cakes, you cant to make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl so that everything is mixed properly.
- Don’t over mix the cake– We don’t want to create gluten in this vanilla cake recipe so make sure to stop mixing once the flour mixture disappears.
- Open the oven door very gently and slowly to make sure the cake doesn’t sink when checking for doneness– I have done this mistake so many times and that’s why I want to help you avoid it! Opening the oven door too quickly will make your cake collapse so you want to wait until the last minute to open the oven door to check. I would say start checking the cake’s doneness at 45minutes and see.
Buttery Vanilla Bundt Cake
If you made this bundt cake recipe and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Moist Vanilla Bundt Cake
- 3 & 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 & 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
- 1/2cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F then grease a 12 cup bundt cake pan using shortening, butter, or nonstick spray. Flour the pan, making sure to tap out excess flour then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together and set aside
- In another bowl or large measuring cup, mix the buttermilk, sourcream, and oil together and set asdie.
- In a mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and one egg at a time, making sure that it's fully incorporated before adding the next one. Scrape the bowl as you go.
- Lower the mixer speed to low, add in 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture and mix until combined. Repeat this process 2 more times, making sure to scrape the bowl as you go. Mix just until the flour mixture disappears to avoid overmixing the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan, spread the batter evenly, and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. My cake took 50 minutes. You can check for doneness by inserting a wooden skewer in the center, if it comes out clean the cake is ready if not, bake it for a little longer.
- Let the cake cool down for 20 minutes before flipping it onto a cooling rack to cool down completely before slicing into it.
What do to if your cake is darkening too quickly?If the top of the bundt cake is darkening too quickly, you can cover the top of the bundt pan with aluminum foil. This will keep the cake from browning too much while it’s still baking in the oven.
How to check a bundt cake for doneness?To check your cake for doneness, insert a knife or a wooden skewer in the highest part of the cake, then pull it out. If the knife or wooden skewer comes out clean then you will know the cake is done. If it’s still covered in batter, then the cake needs a little longer in the oven.
How to store a bundt cake?You can wrap the cake in saran wrap and place it in an airtight container and leave it at room temperature for up to 2 days. I usually like to wrap the cake in saran wrap and then place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Make sure to pull the vanilla bundt cake out of the fridge and bring it back to room temperate before enjoying it.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!