SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Thick, melt in your mouth cookies are IN!
Are you ready for the best tea time cookies of your life? Yes I said it… These are the best thick earl grey cookies you will ever have. Have them with tea, have them with milk or straight up on their own you won’t regret it 🙂
This is our favorite earl grey cookie recipe!
Have I ever told you about my undeniable love for earl grey tea…?
It actually all started when I started working at Bouchon bistro here in Las Vegas. After long days of work my best friend who worked downstairs at the bakery would bring me a London fog. I didn’t know what it was made out of but I just knew it tasted like heaven.
After a couple of times of drinking that magical drink, I asked her… What the heck is this? How do you even make it!!
She said that it contained her favorite tea, earl grey and a splash of milk, sometimes even a little vanilla to sweeten it. Oh my god! I had been obsesed with teas for some time but I didn’t know about earl grey!
Earl grey is the secret ingredient in these cookies 😉
Sure, sugar cookies are cool. But have you ever had easy sugar cookies with a hint of delicious earl grey tea? if you have, good for you! You might need to try mine next. But f you haven’t these are going to absolutely blow your mind if you’re a tea person.
So to all my tea lovers, make these easy cookies and enjoy them anytime. I would share some of mine but they’ve been long gone!
What’s so special about these sugar cookies?
- They pair so well with any afternoon tea
- These cookies are light, buttery, and will melt in your mouth
- They have a gentle floral note for a fancier cookie
- These cookies store very well so make them and enjoy them all throughout the week!
Ingredients for earl grey sugar cookies
To make this small batch sugar cookie recipe with earl grey you will need:
- Butter- A good sugar cookie always contains a good amount of butter!
- Granulated Sugar– You will need some sugar for rolling and some sugar for the actual cookie recipe
- Earl grey tea– I used two tea bags of earl grey to get the exact amount that I needed.
- An egg– Your egg will need to be at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract is so so good in sugar cookies.
- Flour– You will need regular all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking soda & baking powder– These leavening agents will make sure that your cookies are nice and thick.
- Salt– Always add salt if using unsalted butter to give your cookies an extra depth of flavor!
What is earl grey tea?
Earl Grey tea is a black tea that incorporates bergamot orange flavors. This specific type of orange has an extremely flavorful and fragrant peel but the actual fruit itself is not the best. This tea has about the same amount of caffeine as regular black tea.
So next time you think of earl grey tea, remember that it is a popular black tea that has floral notes from the bergamot orange oil.
What do these earl grey sugar cookies taste like?
HEAVEN! They taste like heaven…
Oh you weren’t looking for that answer? Ok.. ok.. These earl grey cookies taste like a very good sugar cookie with a slight hint of earl grey tea
By adding the earl grey into the cookie dough instead of just on the sugar coating you get a great depth of flavor that will transport you to those relaxing afternoons where everything good was going on in the world. The floral and aromatic flavors that the earl grey tea gives to these sugar cookies is just out of this world.
As far as texture, these cookies have a very similar texture to a snickerdoodle cookie. They are soft and they gently melt in your mouth for the best textural experience!
Step by step to make
Here is exactly how you can make this earl grey small-batch sugar cookie recipe:
Start by mixing the butter, sugar, and earl grey tea in the stand mixer for about 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add in the room temperature egg and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
Now add in the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the wet mixture and mix just until the flour disappears. You don’t want to over-mix your cookie dough.
Using a small cookie scooper scoop 16 equally sized cookie dough balls and place them on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes. While the cookies are chilling turn on the oven to350 F to preheat.
Once the cookies have chilled in the freeze you can either roll them in the granulated sugar right away or roll them in the palm of your hands first and then roll them in the sugar then place them back on the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will continue baking as you remove them from the oven so don’t worry if they look slightly uncooked. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling wrack. Enjoy!
How to store these earl grey sugar cookies?
You can either place your cookies in an airtight container and leave them
- At room temperature for up to 4 days.
- In the fridge for up to a week.
- Or in the freezer for up to a month.
More cookies you’ll love
This earl grey cookie recipe
If you make this earl sugar cookie recipe and absolutely loved it don’t forget to leave a five-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the titles of the recipe 🙂 m
Thick Earl Grey Cookies
- Start by mixing the butter, sugar, and earl grey tea in the stand mixer for about 2-3 minutes or of until light and fluffy. Add in the room temeprature egg and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
- Now add in the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the wet mixture and mix just until the flour disappears. You don't want to overmix your cookie dough.
- Using a small cookie scooper scoop 16 equally sized cookie dough balls and place them on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes. While the cookies are chilling turn on the oven to350 F to preheat.
- Once the cookies have chilled in the freeze you can either roll them in the granulated sugar right away or roll them in the palm of your hands first and then roll them in the sugar then place them back on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will continue baking as your remove them from the oven so don't worry if they look slightly underdone. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling wrack. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for making it all the way down here! If you tried my absolute favorite earl grey cookies make sure to let us know in the comments below. I would love to know how yours turned out!
LV• Recipe developer • Food photographer • Gym Addict • Marketing person •
🧁📸 🏋🏻♀️ 📈
I use my oven as a heater 😭😂🤷🏻♀️
FREE recipes below!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!