These Brownies with cake mix should be part of the 7 wonders of the world… whoever thought of making brownies out of cake mix is a total genius and you should get on that too!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
How are you guys doing?
As for me, I am once again at Starbucks drooling over the images of these super rich 5-ingredient brownies I made not too long ago.
Unfortunately, they are all gone. But they only needed 5 ingredients and come together in less than an hour. So I can literally make them anytime I want!
Why make cake mix brownies?
Why make these delicious and rich brownies if I can just get brownie mix you might think….
Well to be honest, I thought the exact same thing when people told me that you can turn cake mix into brownies!
With a little thought I realized that life happens sometimes and your favorite store might run out of cake mix, you might be in a rush and only have chocolate cake mix at the house, or you just want to be like me an experiment with different recipe.
So whatever the reason may be, I am here to teach you how to make brownies with chocolate cake mix. You’ll thank me later 😉
What’s so special about these chocolate brownies?
Since I don’t usually make cake mix recipes I made myself do it with this one. I will also have a couple more coming soon.
But I wanted to share a cheap recipe that comes together very quickly.
I know sometimes we’re running on a tight budget but still want brownies. That’s why I am here to help all my frugal friends in making the best brownies in the world on a budget!
Ingredients for these chocolate cake mix brownies
- Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake mix – I went for the chocolate fudge cake mix. We want these brownies to be rich and super chocolatey!
- Butter– Now, I have seen many people use oil when they make chocolate brownies. I prefer using butter to give it a more fudge-y aspect.
- Heavy cream – Again, I have seen people use milk for this but remember that we are trying to disguise this cake mix brownie! If you don’t have heavy cream feel free to use milk.
- An egg– Make sure that the egg is at room temperature or the melted butter will start to solidify.
- semi sweet chocolate chips
Equipment to make these rich chocolate brownies
- An 8 by 8 inch baking sheet
- Some parchment paper to line the baking sheet with.
- A bowl
- A whisk
- A spatula
Can we please take a second and express how excited we are about turning cake mix into a decadent rich brownie?! Let me know in the comments how excited you are to make this recipe.
How to make rich brownies from cake mix?
I used Chocolate fudge cake mix because I wanted to make these cake mix brownies as rich as possible!
Start by preheating the oven to 350F, then spray an 8″ by 8″ baking pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper
In a large bowl, add in the . melted butter, room temp heavy cream, and room temp egg, and beat together until well incorporated.
Sift the chocolate cake mix into the butter mixture then mix everything with a spatula.
Add in the chocolate chips or chunks and fold with a spatula
Spread the batter into baking pan and bake for 25-27 minutes.
Allow the brownies to cool down completely before cutting them!
Enjoy with a nice cup of milk.
Other brownie recipes you will love!
Cookie recipes you will love!
- Walnut chocolate chip cookies
- Small batch chocolate chip cookies
- cranberry oatmeal cookies
- S’mores peanut butter cookies
Tips for making this easy cake mix brownie recipe
- You can use any brand of chocolate mix you’d like to make this brownie recipe.
- I usually like to go with fudge or devil’s food cake chocolate cake mix to have an intense chocolate flavor.
- I said that you can use oil instead of butter and milk instead of heavy cream but if you really want a rich brownie, follow the exact ingredients I used!
- Do not over-bake the brownies! You want these to be soft and chewy not dry.
- Good quality chocolate is always key! make sure that you are using tasty chocolate chips to get a better tasting brownie.
How to make brownies from cake mix!?
If you do not have brownie mix on hand and don’t want to make this awesome bakery style brownie recipe from scratch, follow this recipe to make super rich cake mix brownies!
Brownies With Cake Mix
- 1 box betty crocker cake mix
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 egg room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream room temperature
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or morsels
- first, preheat the oven to 350F, then spray an 8" by 8" baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper. This will make pulling the brownie out much easier!
- In large bowl, add in the melted butter, heavy whipping cream and egg, and beat together until well incorporated.
- Sift the chocolate cake mix into the butter mixture then mix everything with a spatula.
- add in the chocolate chips or chunks and mix again.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan using a spatula and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into the brownie. Cut into 9 large square pieces of 16 smaller pieces.
How should I store these super rich brownies?
These brownies lasted 3 days.
I am serious…
To store them , place the brownies in an airtight container or plastic bag and store them at room temperature for up to 4 days. When you are ready to enjoy them, pop a couple in the microwave and heat them up for 10 seconds.
They will taste best on the first and second day though! So try to finish them if possible!
Shop this recipe
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Thanks for you stopping in on my blog. I sometimes make brownies from cake mix because it is cheap way to make them and quick. Brownie mix is always more expensive and sometimes I don’t want to make them from scratch.
Lifestyle of a Foodie
Absolutely! Can’t agree with you more!
Fantastic idea and the brownies look yummy! And the pictures are great and makes you want to reach out to grab a brownie! I love that you use only a few key ingredients makes it so much easier. Thanks for visiting Supper Plate! 🙂
Lifestyle of a Foodie
Thank you so much for coming by Bernice! So glad you liked the photos and recipe!
Cake brownies are the best. Very rich and chewy.
Lifestyle of a Foodie
They sure are! Thank you for stopping by Abby!