This easy vanilla protein mug cake with chocolate chips is the satiating dessert you’ve been looking for all along. It uses a handful of simple ingredients plus whey protein powder to bring you a quick-to-make and delicious to enjoy healthy cake.
If you enjoyed this delicious mug cake recipe, you’ll also love The Best Banana Bread Mug Cake Recipe, 3-ingredient Healthy Hazelnut Hot Chocolate as well as the Healthy Chocolate chip Vegan Mug Cookie.
Back in my teenage years, baking with protein was my main thing. I then moved on to making more regular recipes but my love for protein baked goods never went away. That’s why today, I finally decided to bring you this healthy high protein mug cake to make in the comfort of your own home and enjoy whenever the cravings hit.
This recipe is awesome because it makes a healthy single-serving cake that you can enjoy for breakfast, as a snack, or as a post-meal dessert.
This is the best high protein mug cake with chocolate chips ever!
The problem that often happens with protein mug cakes or protein cakes, in general, is that the protein powder itself will suck up most of the moisture in the cake and will leave you with a dry not so good sweet treat.
For this recipe, I played around with the fat content in the recipe to make this cake moist and delicious while still being high in protein. If you do give this recipe a try, let me know your thoughts in the comments because I’d love to hear them!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It is a great way to get your protein in.
- This recipe is an awesome cake alternative for those who like to have cake every day, AKA me!
- This recipe is gluten free and can be made dairy free as well.
- You can play around with the toppings and th e mix-ins to make the best version of this protein cake for yourself.
- This recipe only uses 7 ingredients!
Ingredients for this protein mug cake
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this high-protein mug cake at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Almond flour– The almond four is a lot carb, gluten free flour option that I think adds to this cake
- Protein powder– You can use whichever preotein powder you have, I opted for a vanilla whey protein powder.
- Egg– You will need an egg at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- The vanilla will add a nice depth of flavor for this recipe.
- Baking powder– The baking powder will give our high protein snack some good height while baking in the microwave.
- Chocolate chips– Make sure to use really good chocolate chips for the best flavor. To keep this cake healthy, opt for a lower sugar chocolate.
- Milk– You can use dairy or dairy free milk for your protein cake in a mug.
- Peanut butter– The peanut butter is optional but I love a good little drizzle of pb on top of my protien mug cake.
How to make a quick protein mug cake
This is how you can make this at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Spray a mug or a ramequin with non stick spray.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together then add in the dry ones and mix to combine.
- Microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Top with your favorite toppings or enjoy as is.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
Is this protein mug cake healthy?
It sure is! This recipe uses only a handful of ingredients to make this healthy little high-protein mug cake. This recipe packs.. protein to keep you full and satisfied for longer.
How can I make this protein chocolate chip mug cake recipe dairy free?
To make this recipe dairy-free make sure to use a vegan protein powder, non-dairy milk, use a tablespoon of peanut butter instead of the egg, and let’s not forget the chocolate chips. Make sure those are dairy-free as well to fit your dietary needs.
Can I make this mug cake in advance?
Unfortunately no, this mug cake is best made and enjoyed immediately. If you make it in advance the cake will dry out too much and become too tough to eat.
A good solution to this would be to mix all your ingredients together, tightly cover the mug with plastic wrap or wax paper, and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it in the microwave and enjoy it.
High protein chocolate chip mug cake
If you made this high-protein mug cake and enjoyed it, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Chocolate chip High protein mug cake
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Spray a 16-20oz mug with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the mug, mug the egg yolk, milk, vanilla extract together until combined. Add in the almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, and mix to combine. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and bake on high in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Top your mug cake with a few more chocolate chips or peanut butter and enjoy! Be careful the mug will be hot when you mull it out of the microwave.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
Leave a Comment