This Vegan mug cookie is healthy, gluten-free, and tastes like the most decadent dessert ever. Ever get a chocolate chip cookie craving but don’t want to make a full batch, and also don’t want to make something completely unhealthy? This healthy chocolate cookie in a mug is here to satisfy your wildest cravings.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Who else is guilty of craving chocolate treats around that time of the month ladies? is it just me? Because I devoured two of these healthy chocolate chip mug cookies in one day last month, and I feel it coming this month again!
I’ve always had a tendency to craving copious amounts of food during that time, sometimes it’s sweet sometimes it’s savory. It might even depend on a day to day basis. That’s why I like to have a few comforting recipes ready to go at any time!
After my regular chocolate chip cookie for a while, I decided that I wanted to go with something a little healthier. Something that didn’t have me consuming a ton of sugar and butter ( not that those are not healthy in moderation of course, but I lose all sense of moderation around this time)
This is you new favorite healthy chocolate chip vegan mug cookie recipe!
So because of that reason, I wanted to make something that I can have 2-5 times a day without breaking the nutrition bank pretty much. Law and behold… I succeeded.
This healthy vegan mug cake is good for you and tastes like a real cookie so don’t blame me if you make and eat a few of this single serve dessert a day too!
More mug cake and cookie recipes you will love!
- Easy 60-Second Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
- The best Fudgy 1-minute Brownie Mug Cake
- Easy 5-minute Moist Peanut Butter Mug Cake
What’s so special about this healthy vegan mug cookie?
When it comes to this recipe, there are a few things that might make you make ASAP! It is:
- Contains no processed sugar
- Made in a mug in the microwave
- Ready in less than 2 minutes!
- Best of all, it tastes just like a regular cookie and maybe even better!
Ingredients for Vegan cookie in a mug
- Unsweetened apple sauce– I use unsweetened apple sauce to give this cookie a little moistness without adding too much sugar.
- coconut sugar– Coconut sugar is a great option for this cookie recipe, it healthier than regular white or brown sugar since it contains a lot of the healthy minerals from the sap. It also has a lower glycemic index which won’t make your blood sugar spike up too much. (As always, if you have health issues that pertain to consuming too much sugar, consult with your doctor first before making drastic dietary changes)
- Almond flour- The almond flour makes this vegan chocolate cookie in a mug gluten free and a whole lot better for you.
- vanilla– Vanilla just adds that little oomf to a cookie recipe!
- tahini paste– The tahini paste will mind this cookie together and keep it moist as well.
- baking powder- The baking powder will give this cookie some extra height.
- salt– The salt is used to balance out the sweetness.
- chocolate chips– Make sure to use vegan chocolate chips. To make it even healthier use vegan and sugar free chocolate chips!
Substitutions for this vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe
I undertand that sometimes we don’t always have everything on hand but we want to be able to make our favorite desserts (Aka this one for me!) Here are a few substitutions that you can make to your recipe and still get the same amazing result.
- Use regular brown sugar or maple sugar instead of coconut sugar. Keep in mind that if you are using regular sugar, you are kinda defeating the whole healthy mug cake dessert idea. Try and use just a little bit to keep it somewhat healthy. I also love using maple sugar because it is delicious and is a lot more natural.
- Use ay nut or seed butter instead of tahini paste. The tahini paste helps give this vegan cookie the right texture with a little added depth of flavor. I have made it before where I use peanut butter or almond butter and it worked just fine.
How to make a vegan mug cookie?
Start by adding the unsweetened apple sauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, and tahini paste to a mug and stir until well combined. Add in the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and ½ tablespoon of chocolate chips and stir until combined again.
Microwave on high for 60 seconds, top the vegan healthy mug cookie with the rest of the chocolate chips. Let it cool down for 1-2 minutes then enjoy!
Vegan mug cookie variations
When it comes to cookie variations, I’m the queen! For some reason, I love making the same recipe in as many different ways as possible. It’s almost like a challenge that gives me so much life! Anyways, enough blabber and let’s get to the variations that will take your vegan mug cookie from amazing to out of this world:
- Add in nuts
- Mix in some sprinkles for a funfetti vegan mug cookie
- Add vegan peanut butter chips
- Mix in some vegan marshmallows, for a vegan s’mores dessert
I usually devour this vegan chocolate chip cookie in a mug on it’s own but I understand that sometimes a little something something is needed and much appreciated. So here are a few delicious topping ideas that you can have with your vegan dessert:
- Vegan whipped cream
- A drizzle of vegan date caramel
- Vegan yogurt drizzle
- Some vegan ice cream or banana nice cream
Why did you make you chocolate chip mug cookie in a little bowl?
That’s a very good question! I’m glad you’re asking that. I made it in a little bowl because I wanted it to look a certain way in the photo. You can make it in a little bowl too or jus tmake it in a mug. Whatever floats your boat.
Just know that if you made this recipe in a mug, the cookie won’t fill the whole mug. Since this is a cookie and not a cake, it is much smaller. Of course you can double it and cook it for a little longer or just keep making more as you go, because, well they’re healthy right?
Healthy chocolate chip vegan mug cookie
If you tried this vegan mug cookie recipe and loved it please leave us a rating by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description.
Healthy Vegan chocolate chip mug cookie
- Start by adding the unsweetened apple sauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, and tahini paste to a mug and stir until well combined. Add in the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and ½ tablespoon of chocolate chips and stir until combined again.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds, top the vegan healthy mug cookie with the rest of the chocolate chips. Let it cool down for 1-2 minutes then enjoy!
Thank you so much for making it all the way down here
If you tried this awesome game day air fryer recipe and loved it as much as we did, make sure to leave a comment down below to let us know how your keto mousse turned out. In the mean time don’t forget to follow us on Instagram.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!