This pancake recipe without milk is the perfect staple for whenever you are out of milk but still want super fluffy pancakes. It is made with other pantry staples that you probably have on hand for a quick no-fuss breakfast that your whole family will enjoy! Try it out today and let us know what you think.
Since you are here, check out these pumpkin pancakes, these super fluffy almond pancakes, these blueberry ricotta pancake recipe, this brioche french toast, this how-to-make boxed pancake mix better, as well as this buttermilk waffle recipe.
This is the best pancake recipe without milk!
When it comes to milk-free pancakes I got you covered with this simple recipe that yields perfect pancakes with very minimal ingredients.
I know that most of us are usually looking for more of those traditional pancakes when making this simple staple breakfast so I try to stay as close to the original version but without using any regular milk, or even non-dairy milk.
Instead, I used plain water and some other delicious flavoring agents like melted butter to really add that depth of flavor to our pancakes and make them that much more enjoyable!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- This recipe yields fluffy pancakes without needing any milk!
- It is perfect for whenever you don’t have milk and don’t have time to go grocery shopping for it.
- This is a budget-friendly recipe! We get to avoid the additional cost of milk and still make great-tasting pancakes.
- It is a one-bowl recipe, AKA less mess to clean up before you get to enjoy your delicious dairy-free pancake recipe!
- This is the perfect weekend breakfast.
Ingredients for this dairy-free pancakes recipe
The following ingredients are what you will need to make these no milk delicious pancakes. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Flour- Regular all-purpose flour works great for this pancake recipe.
- Granulated sugar or white sugar
- Baking powder– A baking powder without aluminum is best used in this recipe.
- One whole egg
- Butter- You can also use vegetable oil, coconut oil, or even olive oil instead. I always prefer using butter because it adds so much more flavor.
- Vanilla extract
- Cooking spray of extra butter or oil for the hot griddle
- Maple syrup for topping the pancakes
Can I really use water instead of milk in my pancakes?
Yes! You really can but not without a few tweaks to really bring out that delicious pancake flavor out. Because milk adds a great amount of deliciousness to our pancakes in this recipe we are making up for it by using butter, a little extra salt, and vanilla extract.
If you want a little extra flavor in your pancakes, don’t be afraid to add mix-ins like chocolate chips, berries, sliced bananas, nuts, or even cinnamon chips!
How to make fluffy homemade pancakes without milk
This is how you can make these no-milk pancakes. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk the water, vanilla extract, egg, and vegetable oil or butter until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Make sure to not overmix the pancake batter so that they don’t turn out flat, a few lumps here and there are fine.
- Heat up a nonstick skillet over medium heat then melt some butter on there.
- Add about ¼ cup of batter in the center and cook until you notice some bubbling happening in the batter.
- Check to see if it is golden brown at the bottom and flip to cook the other side.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve with maple syrup!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
How do you get that crispy edge on pancakes?
To get the perfect crispy edges on pancakes make sure to heat up your pan well and use some butter or oil on it. This will almost fry your pancakes and give them the perfect texture and flavor!
How to store these no-milk pancakes
You can store these pancakes once they cool down in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze these pancakes?
You can also freeze these pancakes for later! So do so, flash freeze them on a baking sheet then transfer to an airtight container or a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to reheat pancakes?
If you have any leftover pancakes and need to reheat them, pop them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds and enjoy!
You can also reheat them on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a 325F oven for about 5 minutes or so.
Can I use a different milk instead of water in my pancakes?
If you don’t want to use water you can definitely use nondairy products or milk like:
- Almond milk
- Soy milk
- Oat milk
- Coconut milk
- Cashew milk
- Pistachio milk
- Hemp milk
- Rice milk
What are other ways to add more flavor in my no milk pancakes?
For great-tasting pancakes you might want to add one of a few of these!
- Dash of cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Butter flavoring
- Maple extract
- Lemon zest or any other citrus zest
Pancake recipe without milk
How to make homemade fluffy pancakes without milk
- 1 & ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 & ½ tablespoon baking powder Yes, tablespoons!
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 & ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.1 & ½ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 & ½ tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the water, oil or butter, egg, and vanilla extract togehter. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet mixture and whisk until combined. Don't overmix trying to get rid of all the lumps or your pancakes will be flat. Some lumps in the batter are okay.1 egg, 1 & ¼ cup water, ⅓ cup melted butter, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a skillet over medium loaf heat. Then start cooking your pancakes about ⅓ cup of batter at a time.
- Cook on one side until you start seeing slight bubbles in the batter. Once that happens check if the bottom is golden and flip the pancake. Cook some more for 2-3 minutes then serve immediately. Repeat with the rest of the pancakes and grease your skillet as needed.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!