These Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookies are made with a chocolate Oreo cookie base then topped with the most luscious cream cheese frosting ever! Each cookie is then topped with Oreo cookie dough balls and rainbow sprinkles to make it extra festive. You can now make these in the comfort of your own home and save money in the process!
This post is sponsored by my friends over at Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Lifestyle of a foodie possible.
I’m a little late on this Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookie recipe. I have been getting requests for it since last year, but I had never tried it so I figured I would wait until Crumbl brought it back in their stores.
This week as soon as they brought it in, I went ahead and purchased my cookie and tried it out for myself. It’s really simple and similar to their other Oreo cookies but the frosting on top and the cookie dough bites is what takes it up a notch.
These are the best Oreo birthday cake cookies ever!
This recipe does use some black cocoa powder because I wanted to keep it as close to the real deal as possible. And we all know that Oreos are made with black cocoa so here it is! I also used Imperial sugar for these cookies to ensure that they turn out as good as possible. You know what they say, use the best ingredients to yield the best results in your baking, and Imperial Sugar does that for me always!
If you do try this homemade birthday cake Oreo cookie recipe make sure to let me know how it turned out for you in the comments down below!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- They are so easy to make.
- These cookies look so impressive, with all three layers that we make from scratch.
- They make for the perfect sweet gift to all my Oreo loves.
- With this recipe you will be able to remake your favorite Crumbl Cookie at home no matter the time. No need to wait for the Crumbl bakery to bring back this cookie to be able to enjoy it.
- You will save a ton of money by making this recipe at home!
Ingredients for this Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookie.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Oreo birthday cake cookie. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Oreos– Make sure to use regular oreos and not the double stuffed or thin ones.
- Flour– AP flour works great here.
- Black cocoa– In the spirits of keeping this cookie the same as the Crumbl Oreo one we will be using black cocoa.
- Baking soda & baking powder– These will give our cookie a little height.
- Salt– The salt will help balance out the sweetness of this recipe.
- Butter– Make sure to use softened butter. You can use either salted or unsalted.
- Imperial Sugar granulated sugar & Imperial Sugar brown sugar– The combination of sugars will help make this cookie extra soft
- Egg– The egg is our binding agent.
- Vanilla extract– The vanilla extract will add extra depth to the cookies and the frosting as well.
- Cake batter extract- This will give it that authentic birthday cake flavor.
- Cream cheese– USe softened cream cheese for the birthday cake frosting.
- Imperial Sugar powdered sugar– The powdered sugar will also be used to sweeten our frosting.
- Sprinkles– I like to use rainbow sprinkles for this step but you can use whatever you prefer!
Can I use regular cocoa powder instead of black cocoa powder?
Yes, you can. I prefer using black cocoa to make it really taste like Oreo cookies, but if you are in a pinch and don’t have it, regular will work just fine!
How to make Oreo birthday cake cookies
This is how you can make Oreo birthday cake cookie. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Mix in the egg and butter vanilla emulstion.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Scoop out the cookie dough, place it on a baking sheet, gently flatten the cookies to about 1 inch in thickness and freeze for 15 minutes before baking.
Make the cream cheese frosting for the Oreo cookies
- Cream the butter and the cream cheese together.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until fluffy.
- Frost each cookie, top with the Oreo cookie dough, and sprinkles.
Make the Oreo cookie dough bites
- Blend the 4 Oreos until finely crushed in a food processor.
- Mix in the cream cheese until well combined.
- Make small bits of the Oreo cookie dough bites and top each cookie with that.
More recipes you’ll love!
- Golden Oreo Truffles with Cream cheese
- Crumbl Golden Oreo Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- No Bake Chocolate Pie with Oreo Crust
- Crumbl chocolate Oreo cookies with buttercream frosting Copycat Recipe
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
CAN I USE DOUBLE STUFFED OREOS OR THIN OREOS FOR THESE COOKIES?
No, make sure to use the regular Oreos to keep the texture of these cookies the same. If you use the double stuffed Oreos, the stuffing will bring too much moisture to these cookies and if you use the think ones, there won’t be enough cookie or stuffing to make the exact cookie dough that I made for this recipe.
So make sure that you stick with the regular Oreo cookies for this recipe!
How to store these Oreo birthday cake cookies?
You can store these cookies in the fridge for up to 7 days. Once you’re ready to enjoy them, pull them out of the fridge and let them get back to room temp and enjoy!
Can I freeze these Oreo birthday cake cookies?
These cookies can also be frozen in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. Make sure to flash freeze them first to allow the frosting to set before transferring them to an air tight container so that it doesn’t get smooshed.
Thaw them in the fridge overnight and then let them get back to room temperature before enjoying them.
How to make mini catering size Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookies?
Instead of making 8 large cookies, you can also make 16 smaller cookies. Now, instead of baking them for 11 minutes you can bake them for 9 minutes, let them cool down on the baking sheet fully then transfer the mini cookies to a cooling rack.
Once the cookies are cooled down, you can decorate them as you could the larger cookies, then enjoy!
Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookies
If you made these Crumbl Oreo birthday cake cookies and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Oreo birthday cake cookies Crumbl copycat
- 10 oreo cookies
- 1 & ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ cup black cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened, salted or unsalted
- ¼ cup Imperial Sugar granulated sugar
- ½ cup Imperial Sugar brown sugar Dark or light
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cake batter extract optional but will give it that birthday cake flavor.
Cream cheese frosting
Oreo cake balls
- 4 Oreos regular not double stuffed
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line a baking sheet with parchement paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, grind the 10 Oreos until finely crushed. In a medium bowl, mix the crushed Oreos, flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, cream the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in the egg, the vanilla, and cake batter extract if using, and mix again until combined. Scrape the bowl when needed.
- Add in the dry mixture and mix until the dry mixture disappears. Then using a large cookie scoop, scoop out 8 equally sized cookie dough balls, flatten to about 1 inch in thickness, and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 11 minutes. Let the cookies cool down fully on the baking sheet.
Make the buttercream frosting
- Cream the butter, and cream cheese together until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, and vanilla and whip on medium speed until light and fluffy. This takes a few minutes.
- Frost your cookies with a large piping tip making swirls on top then top each cookie with the Oreo cookie dough bites, and the rainbow sprinkles.
Oreo cookie dough bites
- In a food processor blend the 4 Oreos until finely crushed. Mix in the cream cheese until well combined. make small bits of the Oreo cookie dough bites and top each cookie with that before adding sprinkles.
Storing the cookiesThese chocolate sugar cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Make sure to bring them down to room temperature before enjoying them, otherwise, they will be too hard. These cookies can also be frozen in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight and then let them get back to room temperature before enjoying them.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!