For a limited time McDonald’s shamrock shake makes an appearance and let me tell you It is so delicious. It is made with a mixture of vanilla ice cream, whole milk, mint extract, and whipped cream for the ultimate sweet treat to enjoy in celebration of st. patrick’s day!
For the longest time, I was so against anything peppermint. But once I tried this drink I realized that mixing it in with dairy and creating a refreshing yet indulgent mint shake was the way to go.
Or honestly, it just might be that my tastebuds are changing and now I guess I like it?! But after trying it I immediately had to recreate it with ingredients I had at home. Luckily I had a ton of vanilla ice cream in the freezer from other projects.
This is the best McDonald’s shamrock shake copycat recipe ever!
So now that it is shamrock shake season it felt only right to share this minty shake with you with all the tips and tricks on how to make it even better at home.
Since I liked this so much I’m also working on sharing with you an Oreo shamrock mc flurry asap so you can enjoy it while the season is here.
What does a shamrock shake taste like?
It tastes like a vanilla milkshake with peppermint extract flavors. It is creamy and refreshing, yet sweet, and decadent.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It is so delicious and easy to make.
- This minty milkshake is in stores from mid-February to mid or end of march usually but if you ever crave it at any other time you can use this recipe!
- It’s so beautiful to look at and take pictures of for the gram or any social media platform you prefer.
- This is a great recipe to make in bulk and serve at your st. patrick’s day celebrations
- The best part is that it uses simple ingredients that you probably already have a home.
Ingredients for this mint milkshake
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this green shamrock shake. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Ice cream – Mcdonald’s uses soft serve ice cream but we can just use any regular vanilla ice cream and blend it well.
- Whole milk- The whole milk will help make it extra creamy.
- Green gel food coloring– Use gel food coloring instead of water-based food coloring because it will give you a more vibrant shake color.
- Mint extract- This is different from peppermint extract but depending on preference you can use peppermint extract.
- Whipped cream
- Green sugar
- Maraschino cherry
Substitutions and ways to take your shamrock green milkshake to the next level.
- Use chocolate ice cream instead of regular vanilla ice cream for a chocolate minty shake.
- Use dairy-free ice cream, dairy-free milk, and dairy-free whipped cream for a vegan shamrock.
- Adjust the ice cream and milk to get the perfect consistency for you! If you enjoy a thicker shake, add more ice cream and less milk. If you prefer a thicker share, add more ice cream and less milk.
- Depending on if you like more or less minty flavors add a little bit at a time then taste and adjust it to your liking.
- If you would rather not use any green food coloring then by all means, no worries at all. If you want the green color you can add a little bit of spirulina powder to color it naturally. Just make sure to taste it as you go because we don’t want the shake to taste too much like spirulina and not enough like mint.
- Make it boozy by adding a little Irish cream, vodka, or even whiskey to really get in the mood of St patty’s!
How to make this shamrock shake recipe
This is how you can make this easy fast food chain favorite at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- To a blender add the ice cream, milk, mint extract, and green gel food coloring, and blend until combined.
- Pour in your favorite serving glass.
- Top with whipped cream, green sugar, and a maraschino cherry, and enjoy your adorable green treat with a straw.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to turn this into a chocolate shamrock shake?
There are a few ways you can do this. You can either use chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream. You can also use half and half to balance out the chocolate flavors, or you can use just vanilla ice cream and a generous drizzle of chocolate syrup.
Bonus points if you drizzle some chocolate syrup in your serving glass to give it a little visual oomph as well.
What does McDonald’s use in their shamrock shake syrup?
To make their drinks in store they use a mixture of high fructose corn syrup, green food coloring, and mint flavors. In this recipe, we are using our own blend instead.
Mcdonald’s original shamrock shake
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake copycat recipe
- 2 cup vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure mint extract
- a drop of green food coloring add more if you want your drink brighter
- whipped cream
- marraschino cherry
- green sugar
- Add the ice cream, milk, mint extract, and food coloring in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.2 cup vanilla ice cream, ½ cup whole milk, ¼ teaspoon pure mint extract, a drop of green food coloring
- Serve in a tall glass, add whipped cream, a cherry on top, and some green sugar.whipped cream, marraschino cherry, green sugar
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!