These rich, chewy and fudgy cake mix chocolate crinkle cookies are made using devil’s food cake mix. They are the perfect cookie when you are short on time or just want to make something quick and hassle free.
Since you are here, I know you would also love my 10 secrets to make brownies better, these Christmas marbled sugar cookies, lemon cake mix cookies, as well as this double chocolate dark dream cookie.
This is one of the best cake mix recipes ever!
If you are looking for an easy recipe to make this Christmas season then this chocolate crinkle cookie recipe is it! It is made with chocolate devil’s food cake mix which is fine of my favorite shortcuts ever but still yields one of the best crinkle cookies ever!
The best part is that people won’t even be able to tell because these will turn out just like fudge brownie cookies with a thick coating of powdered sugar. Meaning that pretty much no one will be able to tell that this is doctored up cake mix turned cookie!
Why should I make this recipe?
- It yields super fudgy cookies every time.
- This recipe uses simple ingredients making it great if you are own a budget.
- It is a great cookie recipe to add to your Christmas cookie box or cookie exchange.
- They taste so good with a tall glass of milk!
- This recipe is super fast, no need for chilled dough.
- These make for a great last minute party dessert.
What is a crinkle cookie?
Cake m ix crinkle cookies are a type of cookies made with boxed cake mix. It is a quick and easy recipe because all you would need to measure out are the dry ingredients (AKA eggs and oil) to make the most perfect crinkle cookie dough that you will then roll in granulated and powdered sugar before baking. As these cookies bake they will spread a bit and crack giving them that iconic crinkly look.
Ingredients to make the best cake mix chocolate crinkle cookies
This recipe doesn’t need much ingredient because it used chocolate cake mix as the base! All you need to do is add a couple of wet ingredients, roll them in sugar, bake and wait for the magic to happen!
- Devil’s food cake mix – Use whichever brand you like.
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar- This is also called confectioners’ sugar
How to make cake mix crinkles?
- Mix the wet ingredient together then add in the dry ingredient to a medium bowl. Mix until well until incorporated.
- Scoop the cookie dough balls using a small cookie scooper. Roll into balls and coat in the granulated sugar first then coat them in powdered sugar second.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies at 350 for 10minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before trying to pick them up. Enjoy!
Easy variations for these fudgy chocolate cookies
Depending on personal preference you can add a little less oil to the dry cake mix to get your cookies to be a bit thicker. When I made these the first time everyone loved them thin, but I enjoy the rich chocolate flavor from the thicker cookies a bit more so I use ⅓ cup oil instead of ½ cup. Regardless of what you go with this delicious recipe will be perfect for all chocolate lovers.
Can you freeze these crinkle cookies from cake mix?
To freeze them before baking, roll them into cookie balls and freeze them on a parchment lined baking sheet. When they are completely frozen, transfer them to an airtight container. They will last up to 3 months this way, just make sure to thaw them out overnight in the fridge then coating them in both sugars before baking again.
I would not recommend freezing them baked because the sugar will somewhat dissolve and they won’t look as yummy anymore!
Thin and Fudgy Cake Mix Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Fudgy Cake Mix Chocolate crinkle cookies
- 1 box Devil's food cake chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup Vegetable oil Read notes if you want to make thicker cookies (like the ones in the video)
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F Then line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix the eggs and oil with a hand mixer until they are fully incorporated.½ cup Vegetable oil, 2 eggs
- Add in the chocolate cake mix until soft cookie dough forms.1 box Devil's food cake chocolate cake mix
- Using a small cookie scooper, scoop out 18-19 balls. Roll the cookie dough balls to coat them with the granulated sugar first.1 cup granulated sugar
- After having dipped the cookies in granulated sugar now is time to coat them with the powdered sugar. Place the coated cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. If you use ⅓ cup oil, bake for 8-9mn1 cup powdered sugar
- Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Easy variations for these fudgy chocolate cookiesDepending on personal preference you can add a little less oil to the dry cake mix to get your cookies to be a bit thicker. When I made these the first time everyone loved them thin, but I enjoy the rich chocolate flavor from the thicker cookies a bit more so I use ⅓ cup oil instead of ½ cup. Regardless of what you go with this delicious recipe will be perfect for all chocolate lovers.
Crinkle cookies variation
The best thing about these crinkle cookies from cake mix is that they can be easily customizable to your own taste! For this recipe specifically, you could add chocolate chips for extra chocolate. You could also go with peppermint flavor or coffee flavor for the perfect holiday cookie recipe!
This recipe can also be made using any cake mix you have on hand! I have seen many strawberry cake mix crinkle cookies as well as red velvet cake mix cookies. These look absolutely gorgeous.
Shop this recipe
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.