Cheesecake swirled red velvet brownies! Yes you heard it right. I have combine two of the world’s best foods into one. If you are a brownie lover this one is for you. If you are a cheesecake lover, trust me you won’t regret making this… and if you are a red velvet lover, you’ll be in heaven after the first bite!
I wanted to share this red velvet brownie recipe real quick! It wasn’t really planed but I had to share with with you guys’ because of how amazing it turned out.
A couple of days ago, a friend asked me if I could make something special and deliver it to his girlfriend for valentine’s day. I couldn’t back away from the opportunity to make something special for someone other than my sister or boyfriend.
So after giving it some thought, I decided to make a red velvet brownie with cheesecake swirls on top because the person I was giving them to loved red velvet in general.
So next time you want to wow someone, definitely make these red velvet brownie hearts or squares!
What is so special about these heart cheesecake swirled red velvet brownies?
They are chewy and melt in your mouth! Also they are one of the things that I make and deliver as a special order for valentine’s day… yes, they are that good, and yes you too can have them by following this simple recipe.
These red velvet brownies are a favorite across the board. They are rich and fudgy because of the chocolate brownie layer, but also have a nice and light aspect to them because of the tangy cream cheese or cheesecake layer.
The two parts of this dessert work amazingly together to bring your taste buds a little party in
Need more brownie recipes? Check these out…
- easy chewy brownie with cocoa powder
- Brownies with cake mix
- Bakery style brownies without cocoa powder
What is red velvet?
Have you ever wondered what red velvet was? or maybe what is red velvet flavor?
Well… You are not alone! I’ve had the hardest time putting my hand on what red velvet cake tastes like… Chocolate? Chocolate and cream cheese frosting?… or maybe it just tased like red... whatever that is!
Here is the truth about red velvet flavor, especially nowadays, it is a flavor that combines both chocolate and vanilla flavors. The chocolate flavor is not as strong as your regular chocolate cake but it is still there. Now with the addition of the vanilla extract, you get an amazing balance of chocolatey notes and light vanilla essence.
So next time someone asks you what red velvet tastes like, drop some knowledge on them! It is a light flavor that combines both vanilla and chocolate notes. Add to that the incredible and iconic cream cheese frosting to balance the cake flavors with an incredible tang and you’re all set!
Tools needed to make this red velvet brownie recipe
Ingredients for these red velvet cheesecake brownies
Ingredients for the red velvet brownies
- Butter- Just like any good old brownie, we need good quality butter!
- Granulated sugar– We used white granulated sugar to keep the brownies lighter.
- Eggs– Use room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla extract– you always need vanilla extract to elevate your brownies. Red velvet brownies might need vanilla even more though! So don’t skip it.
- Red food coloring– I used gel food coloring for these red velvet brownies.
- White vinegar– Wanna know the secret as to why use white vinegar in red velvet brownies? keep reading…
- Cocoa powder– A little cocoa powder goes a long way in this recipe.
- Flour– Just enough flour to keep these red velvet chewy and delicious.
What red food coloring should I use?
I used this wilton red food coloring!
Why do I need white vinegar for my red velvet brownies?
When I was trying to transform my cocoa powder brownie recipe into a delicious red velvet brownie, I did some research. To my surprise most of the red velvet recipes online used white vinegar, obviously I had no clue why… But after some deep digging I figured it out.
I knew that the white vinegar was used to activate baking soda in red velvet cakes but in this recipe we are not using and leavening agents. So the reason why we use white vinegar in red velvet brownies is to make the red food coloring pop even more.
When you mix red food coloring with cocoa powder, it looses some of it’s vibrancy. But after adding the white vinegar and baking the brownies you will notice the red pop out a little more again!
Ingredients for the cheesecake swirl
- Cream cheese- The cream cheese will give us that beautiful tangy flavor that works so well with the red velvet brownie!
- Egg white– You can use an egg yolk instead of an egg white and it would work well too. I went for the egg white to try and keep my cheesecake swirls as white as possible.
- Granulated sugar– Just a little sugar needed here to enhance the cream cheese flavor.
- Vanilla extract– vanilla extract… always use vanilla extract. It’s one of the most important pillars of baking.
How to make these marbled red velvet cream cheese brownies?
red velvet brownie layer
In a large bowl combine the melted butter and the granulated sugar, and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
After whisking the butter and sugar for a couple of minutes it will look like this.
Add in the 2 eggs and the vanilla extract and whisk again until combined.
It will look a little like this.
Lastly add the white vinegar and the red food coloring and mix to combine.
This wet mixture will be red and vibrant.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into the wet mixture and gently fold. Do not over mix.
don’t worry if the red is not as vibrant anymore. It will lighten up again in the oven!
Spread the red velvet brownie batter on the prepared 8×8 baking pan , saving about ¼ cup of batter for topping.
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg white, and vanilla extract. Continue mixing until smooth.
The texture should be smooth.
combine the two
Spread the cheesecake mixture over the brownie batter, top it with the ¼ cup of brownie batter that we saved before.
Using a knife of a wooden skewer, gently drag it across the top of the red velvet brownies to create beautiful swirls.
Bake the brownies for 25-27 minutes or until .a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool down completely before you try to cut into them.I cut mine into heart shapes using a heart cookie cutter but you could also cut them into 16 squares.
Tips for the best cheesecake swirled red velvet brownies!
Make sure to follow these tips when making your awesome red velvet brownie bites!
- Do not over mix- Over-mixing is the enemy in may recipes, this red velvet brownie recipe being one of them. When you add in the dry ingredients, mix just until you can’t see them anymore
- Do not over bake- There is something so special about these delicious melt in your mouth red velvet cheesecake brownie bites. So to keep them nice and ooey gooey, avoid over baking them. They will continue baking as they cool, so keep that in mind.
- You don’t have to cute these brownies into little hearts. I did it because I made these as a valentine’s day treat. You can easily cut them into 16 little squares just like any other brownie recipe 🙂
CheeseCake Swirled Red Velvet Brownies recipe
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Cheesecake red velvet swirled brownies
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanila
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¾ cup +1 tablespoon flour
- 4 oz cream cheese softened, you can microwave it for 10-15 seconds to soften it even more.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First preheat the oven 350F, then spray an 8X8 inch baking pan with non stick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. This step will allow you to pull out the brownies so easily when it's done.
- bake for 20-25 minutes
Make the red velvet brownies first
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and the granulated sugar. Whisk for 2-3 minutes. Add in the 2 eggs and the vanilla extract and whisk again until combined. Lastly add the white vinegar and the red food coloring and mix to combine. This wet mixture will be red and vibrant.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into the wet mixture and gently fold. Do not over mix.
- Spread the red velvet brownie batter on the prepared 8×8 baking pan , saving about ¼ cup of batter for topping.
Make the cheese cake swirl mixture
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg white, and vanilla extract. Continue mixing until smooth.
- Spread the cheese cake mixture over the brownie batter, top it with the ¼ cup of brownie batter that we saved before.
- Using a knife of a wooden skewer, gently drag it across the top of the red velvet brownies to create beautiful swirls.
- Bake the brownies for 25-27 minutes or until .a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool down completely before you try to cut into them.I cut mine into heart shapes using a heart cookie cutter but you could also cut them into 16 squares.
- at room temperature for 3 days
- in the fridge for up to a week
- in the freezer for up to 2 months
If you enjoyed this red velvet brownies cheesecake bites, please let me know in the comments below 🙂 !
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!