If you’ve ever wondered how to make banana bread with cake mix I got you covered. This easy banana bread recipe yields a moist and delicious quick bread that you can prepare ahead for the week or make for family gatherings, potlucks, or even BBQs. It is simple and a great recipe for when you don’t have too much time.
This banana bread cake mix hack is one of my favorite shortcuts to make a quick recipe that I know everyone will love. Plus it uses simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
This is the best cake mix banana bread recipe ever!
The great thing about this recipe is that it allows the banana flavor to shine through the cake mix flavor that we all love and you can also customize it to your liking. In this recipe I used chocolate chips but you can also use chocolate chunks for the same melty pools of chocolate results.
If you like your banana bread a little more on the nutty side you can also mix in walnuts or even pecans. Of course, this delicious treat can also be enjoyed with no mix-ins.
All you have to do is toast it and spread some butter on it for a fabulous snack that you can have any time.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It’s a simple and quick way to use up overripe bananas.
- This recipe will yield consistent results every time.
- It’s a versatile recipe because you can use different flavors of cake mix.
- This recipe is cost-effective because cake mix can often be purchased at a lower price.
- You will get one of the easiest banana bread recipes with this one and it’ll be so moist, you won’t believe it is made with cake mix.
Ingredients for this quick banana bread recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this yummy recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Overripe bananas- Make sure to use ripe banana so that it helps with the sweetness and the texture of the cake.
- Cake mix– In this recipe I used a box of yellow cake mix but feel free to use whatever other cake mixes you have on hand.
- Eggs- The eggs are our binding agents.
- Sour cream- I wanted to make this load extra moist so I decided to use a little sour cream. You can also use Greek yogurt instead.
- Vegetable oil- This will also help make our banana bread moister.
- Vanilla extract- The vanilla extract adds an extra depth of flavor.
- Chocolate chips or walnuts or pecans.
How to make this easy banana bread out of a box of cake mix
This is how you can make this chocolate chip banana bread. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Add in a box of your favorite cake mix, I used a yellow cake mix. Top it with the chocolate chips or nuts and stir until combined.
- Divide the banana bread batter into the two prepared loaf pans,
- Add chocolate chips on top of the bread and bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow the banana cake to cool down in the pan for 10 minutes before pulling it out with the parchment paper overhang and placing it on a cooling rack to cool down more.
- Slice and enjoy with coffee or tea!
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store leftover banana bread?
You can store this in an airtight container or in a ziploc bag at room temperature for up to 4 days. I like to store it in the fridge for longer. Just make sure to allow it to cool down fully before transferring it to the fridge.
Can I freeze this banana bread?
You sure can.
Let the loaf cool down fully before slicing it and placing it in an airtight container and into the freezer or wrapping it with plastic wrap. Freeze the homemade banana bread for up to 3 months. Once you are ready to enjoy it, allow it to thaw at room temperature for a few hours. You can also warm it up in the microwave or in the toaster for a more crunchy texture.
How to make this delicious banana bread gluten-free?
This is the easiest recipe to turn gluten free. All you have to do is use gluten-free cake mix as a base and follow the recipe as is.
What cake can I use to make banana bread with cake mix?
The best part about this easy recipe is the fact that you can use different
- White cake mix
- Spice cake mix
- Chocolate cake mix
- Strawberry cake mix
Can I make this cake mix moist banana bread in a bundt cake pan?
You sure can.
Pour all the batter into the greased bundt pan and bake in a 350F oven for 45-60 minutes. You can test for doneness by inserting a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, your bread is ready. If not, continue to bake it for a few more minutes and check it again until it’s fully cooked.
The best banana bread recipe made with cake mix
Cake mix banana bread
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas then add in the eggs, vanilla extract, oil, and sour cream. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the cake mix, salt, and mix to combine then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into the two loaf pans, top with extra chocolate chips, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf cakes to cool down for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and transferring it to a cooling rack to cool down fully.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!