The easiest Vegan Tempeh Taco Meat you could ever make! It is so packed with protein too! I mean can you believe the whole recipe contains 48 grams of plant based protein!!? It is the best vegan/vegetarian taco meat substitute, and the best part is that it will be ready in less than 20 minutes!
I often try to find good vegetarian/vegan substitute for meals that I make at my house. This also often means I have to get a bit adventurous with that I try unsing instead of meat!
This time, I found tempeh at my local Sprouts grocery store and my heart skipped a beat for a second. I have read so much about tempeh and how it has a very high amount of plant based protein. This alone was enough of a reason for me to get it and see what I could use it with.
After giving it ample thought, I decided to go with a vegan tempeh taco meat since I had just went to the Mexican market and gotten some fresh tortillas!
I also thought that this would be the perfect quick dinner recipe for meatless Mondays or taco Tuesdays… Or both, since this vegan taco meat recipe will absolutely get you hooked !
What you need for this vegan tempeh taco meat?
- Tempeh: This is probably the most obvious ingredient for this recipe! We need a meat recipe to make vegan tacos and I think tempeh is one of the best substitutes for that. Tempeh is also a great option if you are trying to up your intake of vegetarian protein!
- Spices: To make this vegan meat taste as similar as the real thing, I used cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt & pepper. If you personally like one flavor more than the other make sure that you are adjusting it based on your taste!
- Oil: This is very useful when it comes to browning the vegan tempeh taco meat
- Liquid aminos: Personally I added this to my taco meat because it added a bit more saltiness and an extra depth of flavor!
How to make this vegan tempeh taco meat recipe?
This vegan meat substitute recipe is extremely easy to make! All you have to do is crumble the tempeh with your handles or grind it using a food processor to have it resemble the texture of meat.
Then brown the tempeh mock meat in a frying pan, stirring in the spices while it’s browning. This should take 4-5 minutes. Add in the water and let it cook for a bit longer to infuse all the flavors together .
Serve this Vegan meat stuffed in your tacos, burritos, or anything your heart desires really….
Tips and tricks
- We usually eat this vegan taco meat all in one sitting ,but if you are preparing this in advance or don’t finish all of it at once, you can store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If you don’t like leftovers as much, and would rather pop it in the freezer, place it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- If your Vegan tempeh meat looks a bit on the dry side, add in a little more water. The coolest part about this is that if you add in too much water, it will evaporate the longer you cook it.
- Soft tortillas or hard taco shells? This ie greatly going to depend on what your personal preference is. When I made these I used soft tortillas that I crisped up with some oil before serving.
Vegan Tempeh Taco Meat
Vegan Tempeh Taco Meat
- 8 oz Tempeh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Start by breaking the tempeh with your hands into little crumbs or grind it using a food processor.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add in the tempeh crumbles with the spices, stir and let it brown for 4-5 minutes, making sure to stir from time to time.
- Add in the water. Stir everything in and let it cook for 7-10 more minutes or until the water gets absorbed.
- Enjoy this vegan Tempeh taco meat in tacos, burritos, tostadas, salad, fajitas, or enchiladas!!
If you enjoyed this recipe I feel like you will fall in love with these as well!
- Vegan Gut healing bowl
- Vegan High Protein Chocolate smoothie
- Vegan Lemon and Strawberry Tart This one is a reader’s favorite, check it out for yourself 🙂 !
- Vegan Double chocolate Brownies