This pumpkin french toast recipe is the most delicious, easy, and perfectly spiced recipe to add to your weekend fall breakfast rotation. It is made with real pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to really bring out all those beloved fall flavors. Try it this season and watch your entire family become obsessed with it!
Since you are here, make sure to check out these pancake mix pumpkin pancakes, this pumpkin pie spice sauce, this simple brioche french toast recipe, this brioche baked french toast casserole, this pumpkin pie truffle recipe, as well as this delicious pumpkin cheesecake recipe.
This is the best pumpkin french toast recipe
The perfect fall breakfast has to be this pumpkin French toast recipe. They are so easy to make, taste absolutely out of this world, and come together in no time.
This one, in particular, is a family favorite at my house, it’s so good we even make it during the spring or summer when we really just want a little cozy treat for breakfast. Plus
Why you need to make this recipe!
- This is an easy breakfast that you can make for your whole family this fall season.
- It’s a fun way to use any extra pumpkin puree you might have on hand.
- This is a nice switch from regular French toast especially once the weather cools down a little.
- It’s a great way to use your day old bread that you don’t want to toss out.
Ingredients for this classic french toast with pumpkin.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this delicious French toast recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Milk- You can use any milk you’d like, I love using whole milk or you can even use a milk mixture or skim milk and heavy cream.
- Pumpkin puree– We are talking about pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling. Make sure to check the labels before buying your cans! Of course, you can use homemade pumpkin puree as well.
- Egg- We are using large eggs at room temperature for this recipe.
- Light brown sugar- The brown sugar will add a hint of sweetness to our French toast. This will not be too overpowering since I know that most of us enjoy French toast with maple syrup. If you want it a little sweeter add a little more sugar next time.
- Salt- Always add a little salt to your sweet treats to balance out that sweetness level and bring in some balance in the flavors.
- Vanilla extract- This pure vanilla extract will add a delicious depth of flavor. You can also use vanilla bean paste to elevate the flavors even more.
- Pumpkin pie spice– This will help bring out the pumpkin spice flavor in this French toast recipe.
- Cinnamon- This is going to add more of those warm spice notes in this fall-inspired French toast recipe.
- Bread slices- You can really use any type of bread you have on hand but some of my favorites are French toast, Japanese milk bread, or even Texas toast.
- Butter- This will be used on our hot skillet to keep the French toast from sticking.
- Instead of using regular milk, use a dairy-free alternative.
- Use homemade pumpkin puree if you have that and don’t want to leave the house to get a can of pumpkin puree.
- Use heavy cream instead of milk for an extra creamy French toast!
- Use any kind of bread that you have on hand. Brioche bread, challah, or any other bread works great! I have tried this recipe with the croissant loaf that Trader Joe’s has sometimes would be great as well!
Can I use stale bread for this recipe?
Yes! you can use day-old bread or slightly stale bread when making French toast because it would hold up a lot better when you are dipping it into that egg mixture. Sometimes using fresh bread especially if the slices are thin, you will find it hard to pick up pieces of bread because they are so soaked.
All in all the best bread is the one that you have on hand because you won’t have to spend any extra money or leave the house to make this delicious breakfast staple.
How to make pumpkin french toast?
This is how you can make this delicious pumpkin french toast recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- In a shallow baking dish whisk the milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, light brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon together until combined.
- Soak each slice of bread in the pumpkin custard for 30 seconds per side.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat then melt some butter on it. You can alternatively spray it with cooking spray to keep the French toast from sticking to the pan.
- Cook 2-3 slices of bread at a time, giving them about 3-4 minutes per side. We want them to have a beautiful golden brown color. Repeat until all the slices are cooked.
- Top with powdered sugar, cinnamon butter, and maple syrup, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
Do I need to leave the bread out overnight?
I did mention that using day-old bread is best because it will allow your French toast to have more body but it isn’t that necessary.
The funny thing is that this recipe was created back in the day to use up any leftover bread while giving that feel of freshness in a brand-new dish that people will love.
How do you store leftover French toast?
If you have any leftover French toast, the best way to store it would be in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I make this pumpkin french toast recipe dairy-free?
Opt for non-fairy milk like almond milk, oat milk, or even cashew milk instead of regular milk.
Can I make this recipe into pumpkin french toast sticks?
Yes! You can slice your toast into long slices and make them as you would the regular slices. Bake them for a little less so you don’t overcook them. I love to roll them in cinnamon sugar after I am done to really get that French toast stick vibe. Or just dunk them in maple syrup!
What can I top my pumpkin french toast with?
Here are some of my favorite toppings to enjoy with your French toast!
- Powdered sugar
- A little maple syrup on top
- Caramel sauce
- Pumpkin butter
- Cinnamon butter
What to serve with this pumpkin french toast?
Some delicious things you can serve with this easy pumpkin french toast recipe would be bacon, eggs, or even a light fruit salad!
The best pumpkin French toast recipe
Pumpkin french toast recipe
- In a shallow baking dish whisk the milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, light brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon together until combined.¾ cup milk, ½ cup pumpkin puree, 3 eggs, 2 tablespoon light brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Soak each slice of butter in the custard for 30 secondd per side.9 slices bread
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat then melt some butter on it.Butter
- Cook 2-3 slices of bread at a time, giving them about 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the slices are cooked.
- Top with powdered sugar, cinnamon butter, and maple syrup and enjoy!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!