Spinach and Kale Smoothies are the best way to get in all your vitamins when it starts getting colder outside! This super healthy green smoothie has a secret ingredient to pack it with more nutrients! Continue reading to figure out what it is…
Make this Kale and Spinach Smoothie your new go to breakfast smoothie!
Don’t forget to sign up for the email list so that you can stay up to date on all the best recipes I post!
Saying that I love smoothies is an understatement! I am completely and utterly obsessed with them!
And that’s why I like to up my smoothie intake around this time of the year. It not only helps me stay healthy… having all those holiday sweets and treats is pretty tough to control yourself around if you’re hungry my friends!!
But it also helps me keep my vitamin intake high and improves my immune system!
So whether you are trying to eat healthier, are wanting to up your vitamin intake, or are just looking for a delicious breakfast smoothie recipe, this article is you!
What does this Spinach and Kale smoothie taste like?
I can tell you one thing, and that’s that it does NOT taste like Kale or spinach! How is that for a kale and spinach smoothie that doesn’t taste like either of those things!
I know many people avoid green smoothies because they’re scared of how they will taste… and I completely understand. I am pretty sensitive to taste and smell too so I can relate big time.
So for this reason I have decided to bring you guys a kale and spinach smoothie that tastes like banana, coconut, and absolute deliciousness!
What did you do to tame the spinach and kale flavor?
The secret is adding a bit of lime juice. The acidity in the lime masks that green flavor that most of us are not fond of.
Spinach and Kale smoothie benefits
Oh! let me tell you about how good for you this is! I know some people get a little thrown off by the color of this smoothie but I really believe I can sway your opinion by telling you about all the good this will do to your body!
Usually people add one dark leafy green to their smoothie to increase the health benefits, but here we added two! (plus the secret ingredient!)
By going with both Spinach and Kale we were able to increase the total content of fiber calcium, vitamin A, C, and K, as well as powerful phytochemicals.
Another huge benefit to having this smoothie in my opinion is the fact that you are getting so many servings of vegetables in one simple drink.
I am not gonna lie, I do not like spinach. When I was younger, I overdid it when I was trying to lose weight. I had so much sautéed spinach with my egg whites for breakfast that I cannot stand it anymore.
Actually… JK. I will have it cooked, but it has to be wrapped in dough. It is almost counter productive, so I like to always add it to my smoothies because you literally cannot taste it!
How can I supercharge this smoothie?
If these Spinach and Kale smoothie benefits were not enough to convince you, here are some more ingredients you can add to supercharge your green smoothie!
- Flax seeds – Flax seeds will give your smoothie a boost of omega-3s. It will also make the smoothie a little bit thicker.
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds are one of my favorite things to add to smoothies. They are super packed with health if I say so myself. Adding a tablespoon or two will add a healthy dose of omega-3s, protein, calcium, phosphorus and manganese.
- Almond butter – Almond butter could be used to make the smoothie both thicker and creamier. It will add a nice nutty flavor to the final product and increase the levels of vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium of the smoothie.
- Matcha green tea – Since we’re already dealing with a super green smoothie, why not make it greener! The matcha powder will boost the anti oxidant value of this smoothie greatly. It can also be used to give you a nice little spike of energy and will make for the perfect afternoon pick me up drink.
Check this link out for more ways to supercharge your green smoothie!
What is this secret ingredient?
Now, we are finally in the part where I reveal what’s this awesome secret ingredient I used in this healthy smoothie!
yes! you read it right, I used micro-greens, more specifically Mizuna micro-greens. Mizuna is a type of Japanese lettuce. I was lucky enough to get it from my boyfriend who works at a hydroponics farm here in Las Vegas.
What are some of the benefits of Mizuna Micro-Greens?
- Mizuna micro-greens are high in antioxidants.
- They help support and improve the immune system
- Mizuna micro-greens help promote eye health.
These are only a few of the benefits of adding mizuna micro greens to your smoothies!
What if I don’t have Mizuna Micro-Greens?
There are plenty of other micro-greens you can add to your smoothies if you do not have Mizuna. Some of the other options you could go with are
- Celery micro-greens
- Broccoli micro-greens
- Kale micro-greens
- Basil micro-greens
- Micro pea shoots
The coolest part about micro greens is that you can easily grow them at home!
Ingredients for this Spinach Kale smoothie
I love smoothies so much because all you gotta do is throw a couple ingredients in the blender and you’re all set. For this delicious green smoothie recipe you will need:
- Coconut milk – You could go with any unsweetened milk you’d like for this recipe. Just know that coconut does add a little coconut flavor, so if you’re not fond of coconut flavor go with something else!
- A very ripe frozen banana – I like using frozen bananas because they made the smoothie thicker.
- Dates – The dates are to add extra sweetness to the smoothie. Start with one date and taste the smoothie to see if it needs more.
- Spinach and Kale
- Micro-greens – you could use whatever micro greens you can find! You can easily grow them at home too!
- Lime juice – the secret weapon to combat that “green taste”
Tools to make this recipe
- A cutting board and a good knife – I don’t always buy my green pre-packaged and pre-washed because they often come in these giant plastic boxes. So since I often try to reduce my carbon footprint, I purchase Kale and Spinach in bunch and then rinse it and chop it myself before blending!
- Nutribullet or a Vitamix – Obviously you need a blender when talking about smoothies. The more powerful your blender is the better, It will make your life easier when blending time comes!
- Stainless steel straws – Listen, it’s 2019… actually almost 2020, so we need to step it up a notch. I know a lot of people loooove drinking their smoothies with straws and I completely understand because I am the same way. But for this specific reason we need to start using reusable straws. By doing so you will do your part in saving the planet and if you really don’t care about that you can think of it as a money saving trick. If you don’t need to buy straws as often as you do now, you will automatically save money! If you really really don’t want steel straws go for the paper ones like I did in this post!
NOW PLEASE, IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Spinach and Kale Smoothie Recipe
Spinach and Kale smoothie recipe
- nutribullet or vitamix
- Put the Coconut milk, frozen banana, pitted dates, spinach, kale, sprouts, and lime juice into the blender and blend until smooth. This can take a little while if your blender is not very strong but it will all get blended regardless.
Tips and tricks for making this Spinach and Kale Smoothie!
- Use a ripe banana, always use ripe bananas in your smoothies. They add a natural sweetness to the drink without using processed sweetener!
- If your blender is not strong enough, start by blending the kale, spinach, and milk first. By blending the greens first you can make sure that everything is blended properly before adding the rest. This will result in a smoother smoothie.
- Now, this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled! If you are making this for your family, just double or triple the measurements depending on how many people are going to be drinking this.
- If you are the type of person that loves extra large cold smoothies add ½-1 cup of ice after blending everything together and blend again.
Other healthy drinks and smoothie recipes you will love!
- Sweet potato smoothie
- Vegan high protein chocolate smoothie
- Iced vegan hot chocolate
- Green smoothie recipe
SHOP THIS RECIPE!
THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN SOME AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE