Pumpkin crunch cake, AKA a fall staple that only uses a handful of ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. This is one of those fall recipes that you can make from beginning to end. Try these this Thanksgiving, you won’t believe how good it is!
Since you’re here, I know you will also like this Crack cake made with yellow cake mix, these fluffy pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, pumpkin scones, as well as this traditional pumpkin pie recipe that everyone will love.
This is the best pumpkin crunch cake recipe or pumpkin dump cake recipe as some might call it!
Sometimes a box of yellow cake mix and some pumpkin puree is all you need to make something extra special in no time. Especially when you’re already so busy during the holiday season.
This recipe has quickly become a staple on our Thanksgiving dessert table because of how tasty it is! I mean it combines a custardy pumpkin layer, crunchy pecans, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
The best part is that it can be made and stored for later allowing you to maximize your oven for other dishes that need to be made the day of! Plus it will make your house smell of warm fall spices which is always a plus 🙂
Why do you need to make this recipe?
- It is one of those pumpkin desserts that requires very minimal effort, just dump and bake!
- If you have a large family gathering this recipe is for you! It is large and can feed crowds.
- This recipe will make your house smell heavenly! I mean who doesn’t love those fall spice smells?
- With each bite, you will get an explosion of textures from the custardy pumpkin layer to the crunchy nut and cake mix layer! Your whole family will absolutely adore it!
Ingredients for this easy pumpkin crunch cake
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this pumpkin recipe. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Pumpkin puree– You can use homemade or canned pumpkin puree.
- Granulated sugar- This will help sweeten the pumpkin custard layer.
- Pumpkin pie spice- You can use homemade pumpkin pie spice or storebought.
- Salt- Always add a little salt to your baked goods to balance out the flavors.
- Eggs- These will be used in our pumpkin
- Evaporated milk- This will be used in our pumpkin layer.
- Yellow cake mix– Use your favorite yellow cake mix brands.
- Pecans- You can use pecans or walnuts to make this recipe a bit more affordable.
- Butter- You will need one cup of butter for the top layer of this dessert. I know it sounds like a lot but trust me, it will make this divine!
Can I substitute pumpkin pie filling for pumpkin puree?
Unfortunately, you can not. This recipe is made using pumpkin puree that this unseasoned and doesn’t have any additional ingredients.
Pumpkin pie filling already has spices and sugar added to it which means it won’t be a good substitute for pumpkin puree making your final dessert sweeter than needed.
How to make this perfect pumpkin crunch cake?
This is how you can make this easy pumpkin dessert. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Spread the bottom of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, room temperature eggs, and the evaporated milk in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the pumpkin batter into the prepared pan then sprinkle dry cake mix on top.
- Sprinkle pecans on top to create that pecan crunch layer then drizzle the top with melted butter and bake until golden brown.
- Let it cool down then slice, top with whipped cream or ice cream, and enjoy.
- If you’re feeling fancy, drizzle some caramel sauce on top too!
Make sure that your yellow cake mix is evenly distributed on top of the layers of pumpkin batter. You will also need to make sure that the melted butter is evenly distributed on top of the cake mix and pecans. It will rehydrate the cake mix and make it crunhy so make sure to drizzle it everywhere and not in just one single area.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store this pumpkin crunch cake?
You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can serve it right out of the fridge or warm it back up in the oven or microwave for a bit.
Can you freeze pumpkin dump cake?
You sure can! I have some frozen for Thanksgiving as we speak!
Let your pumpkin crunch cake cool fully, wrap in plastic wrap tightly, then wrap with foil. It can keep in the freezer for up to 3 months,
Pumpkin crunch cake recipe
The Best Pumpkin Crunch cak
- Preheat the oven to 350F then spray a 9×13 pan with a nonstick cooking spray then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, eggs, and evaporated milk until combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the cake mix and gently press down to flatten. Don't press too hard, we just want the layer of yellow cake mix to be even. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans, and drizzle the melted butter on top making sure to get some butter everywhere.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes. or until the tip is turning golden brown. Cool down completely before slicing, and derving with ice cream or whipped cream on top. Add caramel if you want to elevate it.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!