This Hawaiian Roll French toast recipe is the best way to treat yourself or your family to the perfect breakfast. Made with King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls that are dipped into a creamy and classic French toast batter and pan seared to perfection.
This fun twist on traditional French toast is sure to be a guaranteed hit! Give this dish a try and it’s definitely going to be one of your new favorite breakfast recipes.
Why Use King’s Hawaiian Rolls in a French Toast Recipe?
If you’re a French toast lover like me, then you know that the best French toast requires the best bread. Brioche bread is usually what comes to mind. But after a while, you’re ready for a change.
King’s Hawaiian bread has a distinct sweetness and buttery texture that is perfect for French toast. They’re also smaller and are the perfect size to have more of the crispy edges compared to a Texas toast style of slice that you’d usually get.
The next time you get rolls to make burger sliders, save them and turn them into King’s Hawaiian French toast bites instead!
Ingredients for this Hawaiian Roll French Toast Recipe
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the detailed ingredient measurements.
- King’s Hawaiian Sweet Buns: We used the 12-pack for this recipe. You can get the 6-pack or 24-pack if you want, just halve or double the ingredients accordingly.
- Eggs: help give the French toast its fluffy texture.
- Whole Milk: makes the egg mixture rich and creamy. You could even use a splash of heavy cream for extra decadence.
- Vanilla Extract and Ground Cinnamon: to add tasty flavor. You could also add brown sugar to sweeten it up even more.
- Salt: to balance out the sweetness and enhance the other flavors.
- Unsalted Butter or Cooking Spray: to make sure the French toast doesn’t stick.
How to Make this Hawaiian Roll French Toast Recipe
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card at the end of this post for the full step-by-step instructions!
- Preheat your griddle or non-stick large skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Slice the sweet Hawaiian rolls in half horizontally.
- Dip each half of the bun into the egg mixture, ensuring that both sides are coated.
- Allow excess liquid to drip off, then transfer the coated buns to the frying pan.
- Cook the French toast on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat the process with the remaining bun halves.
- Transfer the cooked French toast to a plate and put your favorite topping such as maple syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and fresh berries.
Why You Need to Make this Recipe!
- This easy French toast recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you can easily find at the grocery store.
- Treat your loved one to a delicious breakfast on Valentine’s Day or any special occasions.
- Make enough for the entire family and host a fun breakfast or family function.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to Store Your Leftover Hawaiian Rolls French Toast
Place your leftover French toast in an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It should last for up to one week.
The best way to reheat would be by throwing them back on a stove top pan for a few minutes to enjoy them as good as new.
Can I Make this Recipe Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Making a large batch of this recipe in advance as a breakfast meal prep is a great idea.
After I personally made this, my husband and I would each have a few with our freshly cooked eggs. Saves you a bunch of time and makes you feel like you’re eating at a restaurant every morning.
My French Toast Rolls are Falling Apart, What Do I Do?
Your French toast rolls are being soaked in the custard too much making them soggy and mushy.
All you need to do is dip your buns into the egg custard for 10-15 seconds per side and cook on the hot griddle pan.
What Different Flavors Can I Try?
- If it’s around the holidays, make your French toast with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice for a festive treat.
- If you’re tired of maple syrup, drizzle on some homemade caramel sauce or homemade mocha coffee syrup.
- Turn frozen or fresh fruit into a homemade jam or compote!
The Best Hawaiian Roll French Toast Recipe
Hawaiian rolls French Toast Recipe
- Preheat your griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Slice the King's Hawaiian Sweet Buns in half horizontally. Then dip each half bun in the egg mixture, ensuring that both sides are coating. Make sure to not over soak the rolls so they don't fall apart when cooking.
- Allow excess liquid to drip off, then transfer the coated buns to the preheated griddle or skillet. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat the process with the remaining bun halves. Then serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, berries, maple syrup, or even some fresh jam!