These CRUMBL chocolate cake cookies are made with a thick chocolate cookie base then topped with a homemade chocolate American buttercream frosting. With each bite, you’ll get the best combination of cookies and chocolate buttercream.
If you love Crumbl cookies, you need to try CRUMBL Peaches and Cream Cookies, Easy CRUMBL Lemon Glaze Cookies, CRUMBL Cinnamon Swirl Cookies copycat recipe and also these Fruity CRUMBL Strawberry Shortcake Cookies.
Crumbl chocolate cookies are the ultimate treat, I can tell you this much! Especially the chocolate cake crumbl cookies… They are topped with the most perfect buttercream that will satisfy anyone who’s chocolate obsessed.
After a few trials I was able to make the ultimate chocolate cookie recipe. It is soft, and chewy. Plus that addition of chocolate buttercream, made with real melted chocolate will literally change your life.
This is the best-frosted chocolate cake cookie recipe ever!
This is actually my first CRUMBL copycat recipe with a chocolate cookie as a base so expect a few more chocolate copycat cookies in the very near future.
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It makes thick chocolate cookies
- These cookies are so impressive
- They are perfect for chocolate lovers
- If the thick chocolate cookie was not enough, each cookie is topped with a luscious chocolate frosting for the perfect finish.
Ingredients for CRUMBL chocolate cake cookies
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this__. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Butter- You will need unsalted butter. One stick will need to be cold and the other will need to be softened.
- Brown sugar & granulated sugar– Using a mix of brown sugar and granulated sugar for this recipe allows it to sweeten the cookies and keep them soft.
- Egg– This recipe uses a large cold egg.
- Flour– You can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Dutch-processed cocoa powder- The dutch processed cocoa powder will be used for both the chocolate cookie base and the chocolate frosting.
- Baking soda- The baking soda will help give some extra height and thickness to these chocolate cake cookies.
- Instant coffee- Instant coffee is used to make the chocolate flavor shine even more.
- Vanilla extract– The vanilla will help enhance the chocolate flavor of this chocolate treat.
- Powdered sugar- The powdered sugar is used to make the chocolate buttercream.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips– You should use very good quality chocolate chips to make the cookies and buttercream taste as good as possible.
How to make CRUMBL chocolate cake cookies
This is how you can make these cookies at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cream the butter, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar together.
- Mix in the egg, instant coffee, and vanilla until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda until dough forms then scoop out 8 equally sized cookie dough balls.
- Flatten the cookie dough balls to about ½ inch in thickness and bake in the preheated oven.
Make the chocolate buttercream
- Melt the chocolate and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- cream the butter powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add in the cooled down melted chocolate and mix until thick and creamy.
- Frost the cooled down chocolate cake cookies and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store the chocolate cake cookies?
You can store these frosted chocolate cookies in an airtight container in a single layer at room temperature for up for 2 days. They will last longer if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last for up to 7 days.
Just make sure to pull them out of the fridge and let them get back to room temperature before enjoying them so they soften back up.
What if I don’t have a piping tip?
Don’t worry if you don’t have a piping tip, you can spread the homemade chocolate frosting right on top of your cookies and enjoy them like that.
If you really want to pipe the frosting instead of just smearing it on top, you can always add the frosting to a ziplock bag, cut the tip off and decorate your cookies.
Either way the cookies will taste just as good! 🙂
Copycat CRUMBL chocolate cake cookies with chocolate frosting
If you made these chocolate cake cookies and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
CRUMBL chocolate cake cookies with chocolate frosting
Thick chocolate cookies
Make the chocolate cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 then line a baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside. in a small cup or bowl, mix the instant coffee and hot water together then set aside to cool.
- Cream the cold cubed butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar together until light and creamy. Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and the cooled down instant coffee and mix until combined.
- Sift in the flour, dutch processed cocoa powder, and baking soda and mix just until the dry mixture disappears.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips then using a large cookie scoop out 8 equally sized cookie dough balls, place them on the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten to about ½ inch in thickness. Bake in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
While the cookies are cooling make the chocolate frosting
- In a bowl melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted then set aside to cool down to room temp.
- In a stand mixer using a paddle attachementcream the butter, sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping the side from time to time.
- Add in the melted chocolate and mix on high speed, scraping down the sides from time to time. After 2-3 minutes the frosting will be smooth, and fluffy. Place the frosting in a piping bag with a Wilton 2D rosette tip, and pipe the chocolate frosting on the cooled down cookies and enjoy!
How to store the chocolate cake cookies?You can store these frosted chocolate cookies in an airtight container in a single layer at room temperature for up for 2 days. They will last longer if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last for up to 7 days. Just make sure to pull them out of the fridge and let them get back to room temperature before enjoying them so they soften back up.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!