This 4-ingredient Zucchini soup is healthy and full of flavor. This soup is the perfect recipe now that it is getting a little colder, it will warm your soul and keep you satisfied and fuller longer because of its high protein content!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
This recipe came about on a whim, as many other recipe that are on this blog I should say.
Monday rolled around and I was not sure what to make. I had to go on a scavenging mission in my own fridge to figure out what I have in there and what could be used to make a yummy dinner.
In the back corned I found these short and thick Mexican squashes and automatically decided to make a soup inspired by my mother.
When we were younger, she would ALWAYS make zucchini soup. The catch here is that she used Italian zucchinis so the soup had a stronger zucchini flavor if I may say. but she would always crack a couple of eggs in there while blending the hot soup to thicken it and add a handful of shredded cheese.
This made for the perfect cheesy zucchini soup, but when I made it I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I did not have much that day so this soup became my 4-ingredient staple Mexican squash soup recipe!
This has since then become my go-to zucchini soup recipe!
Putting zucchini in soup is seriously a game changer. Whether you are making this 4 ingredient soup recipe or just want to add it to other soups, feel free to do that because it will not only increase the nutrition value of the soup but it will also make your soup super creamy!
So now that I shared my favorite recipe for zucchini soup, feel free to let me know if you loved it ad much as I did in the comments down below or if you did any substitutions to have it suit your taste buds better 🙂
The battle between Mexican squash/zucchini and Italian Zucchini
I keep talking about zucchini and Mexican squash, and some people might even use them interchangeably but shouldn’t!
Mexican squash is shorter, thicker, and paler than Italian zucchini. Its flesh is whiter and sweeter, which is why it works so much better for this specific 4-ingredient soup recipe.
I actually made this soup with Italian zucchinis and did not like it as much because the zucchini flavor was too much. If you don’t add any cream, eggs, or cheese It might just taste too healthy for ya!
Which is absolutely not a bad thing don’t get me wrong. It just depends on preferences.
This is not a sponsored post at all! I purchased this chicken stock in store not too long ago and it had an exceptional flavor. I actually couldn’t believe how much better my soup taste because of it.
This chicken broth is very high in protein and low in sodium which allows you to incorporate some of those healthy much needed proteins into your body.
Zucchini soup substitutions
This recipe could easily be changed to vegan or vegetarian by using veggie broth instead of chicken broth. All you have to do is replace it 1:1 and you will find yourself with a nice warm all the way veggie soup!
If you enjoy the strong flavor of Italian zucchini or just do not have Mexican squash readily available you could substitute the Mexican squash with Italian zucchinis!
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
4-ingredient zucchini soup
If you enjoyed this zucchini soup recipe make sure to give it a 5-star rating by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description.
4- ingredient zucchini soup
- 3 thick Mexican zucchini or regular Italian zucchini rinsed and sliced into 1/4 inch
- 1 bunch green onions rinsed and roughly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth could use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- greek yogurt, heavy cream, or sour cream to top it with
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the green onions in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat
- Add in the Mexican squash, the chicken broth, the water, and the salt and pepper to taste. Bring it to a soft simmer. Cook until the zucchini is very soft, this will take about 20-30 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, get your hand blender and pulsate until the soup is silky smooth! Taste the soup, add in any extra salt or pepper and enjoy with a dollop of sour cream, drizzle of heavy cream, or a little greek yogurt for the more health conscious of us!
Tips to make this green soup
- This soup does not need any cream, but if you do want to add some you could either use a little drizzle of heavy cream or some sour cream. For extra protein, you could use a little greek yogurt! In my opinion this is the healthiest option!
- When making this recipe I use a hand blender to blend it all together. I like using my hand blender because it means I don’t have to wait for the soup to completely cool down. If on the other hand, you want to use a blender/mixer, make sure that you are allowing your soup to cool down slightly before whizzing everything together. If you blend it while still hot the heat will expand, the lid will blow off and you will end up with a messy kitchen, and worse of all you might burn yourself.
How to store zucchini soup?
Absolutely! This soup will stay fresh for a week when refrigerated. IT could be enjoyed chilled right out of the fridge or heated up on the stove top or the microwave.
This soup could also be frozen for three months. To enjoy it from the freezer, thaw it overnight in the fridge or gently reheat it on the stove top. The soup might look a bit separated after thawing, just puree it in a blender of a food processor before heating.
This can be the prefect on the go meal if you store it in smaller containers.
Other recipe you will love!
- fall butternut squash soup
- honey roasted butternut squash for two
- 8 most interesting foodie gifts this christmas season
- how to caramelize bell peppers
Product you might like
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.