Starbucks Iced Green Tea Matcha Latte, is easy to make at home and saves you money too! This green tea latte is light, refreshing, and the perfect homemade pick-me-up drink. It is packed with antioxidants and will not only leave you satisfied but feeling amazing without that midday crash.
Since you are here, make sure to check out this matcha brownie recipe, this Starbucks matcha frappuccino, and this pineapple matcha iced drink.
Starbucks iced matcha lattes are the way to go when you want a quick and easy pick-me-up that is both refreshing and delicious. To cool thing now is that you can make this copycat recipe with simple ingredients in the comfort of your own home.
The Starbucks version is made with sweetened matcha powder but we are going to make this green tea drink using high-quality ceremonial matcha powder to really take it to the next level.
This is a money-saving Starbucks copycat iced matcha green tea latte!
Often times in coffee shops you don’t get to enjoy the full experience of a good Japanese green tea drink but with a few tweaks to turn it into the iced matcha tea latte that you love so much at Starbucks.
Plus this drink is amazing for a light caffeine boost that won’t cause you to crash like coffee does.
What’s so special about this iced green tea latte!?
To be honest, everything is extra special about this latte… But here are a few highlights that I think might interest you the most:
- This latte tastes just like a Starbucks matcha latte (or even better)
- It costs a fraction of the price.
- You will only need a few ingredients to make this tasty drink.
- It is refreshing, tasty, and packed with all the matcha flavors in the world.
- This drink has the perfect balance of earthy flavor, sweetness from the honey or syrup, and creaminess from the milk.
Ingredients to make the best Starbucks iced matcha latte
To make this Starbucks iced matcha latte, you will need the following ingredients:
- Matcha powder– You want to have the best ceremonial-grade matcha powder to make this drink as good as possible. You want to aim for a lighter and brighter colored matcha powder and avoid anything that’s a bit too dark or olive green.
- Hot water
- Honey– I used honey for sweetened but then again you can use any sweetener you like.
- Milk– You can use any milk you’d like. I went with dairy milk but I also made this recipe using almond milk, cashew milk, or even hemp and coconut milk. Each one will give you a great dairy free matcha latte drink.
- Ice– Can’t have an iced latte without ice! So grab your favorite ice to make this extra special.
This matcha drink recipe is extremely versatile. It has a few substitutions that will make your life that much more enjoyable.
- Honey- I used honey but you can use Maple syrup or vanilla syrup, or simple syrup for a vegan latte option.
- Milk– You can use any plant milk you’d like, I have made this drink with unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or any other creamy milk.
- Heavy cream- You can also use a splash of heavy creamy for a creamier drink as well.
What matcha to use to make a Starbucks iced matcha latte recipe?
I always go with ceremonial-grade matcha when it comes to making matcha drinks because it is strong, pure, naturally sweeter, and has the cleanest flavor. It is meant to be made for tea ceremonies where people want to experience a more traditional matcha drink.
The brand that I use is this recipe is the Matcha Love tins, you can find them at regular grocery stores or at Asian markets.
What is matcha powder?
Matcha powder is a type of ground-up green tea that is usually grown in Japan. I did not know this before, but after doing some research, I found out that during the last few weeks of the growth of green tea, the lea leaves are shaded to increase their chlorophyll content. That’s what gives it that bright and vibrant green color.
After the harvest, the leaves are ground up into a fine powder to make tea and many other recipes using matcha.
How to make a homemade iced matcha green tea latte?
Start by adding the matcha powder to a glass. Pour the 2 tablespoons of hot water over it and froth using a handheld milk frother. You could also use a matcha bamboo whisk and mix the matcha in a small bowl with warm water instead.
Add in the honey and froth one more time for 10 seconds.
Add the ice to the glass, top with milk, stir and enjoy!
Tips for the best-iced matcha latte
- Use good quality ingredients– This drink does not contain many ingredients that’s why it is so important to use good quality ingredients to have the best-tasting drink. If you don’t have good ceremonial grade matcha, don’t hesitate to invest a little money on it for both a healthy and delicious drink!
- Make sure to mix your matcha powder with water first really well– The matcha needs to be mixed well with the hot water before you add in the rest of the ingredients. You can do so with a matcha whisk, a handheld frother, or even a blender!
Starbucks matcha latte recipe
2-minute Starbucks Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 3 tablespoon hot water
- 2-3 teaspoon honey or simple syrup or vanilla syrup
- 1 cup milk any milk works great
- 1 cup ice
- Add the matcha powder to a glass. Pour the 3 tablespoons of hot water over it and froth using a handheld wand frother. Add in the honey and froth one more time for 10 seconds.1 teaspoon matcha powder, 3 tablespoon hot water, 2-3 teaspoon honey
- Add the ice to the glass, top with milk, stir and enjoy!1 cup milk, 1 cup ice
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
This recipe is so good! It tastes just like the one from Starbucks. I didn’t really expect the honey to work well or be sweet enough for me, but it turned out perfect! Thanks so much!
I am so happy that this tasted just as good as the Starbucks matcha latte!!! Enjoy!