This lemon poppy seed loaf cake is a simple and delicious way to use your extra fresh lemons this season. This quick bread is packed with lemon flavors and poppy seeds and is finished with a tangy lemon glaze on top of the cake. You can make this for easter, weekend brunch, picnics, and get-togethers, or even bring it to BBQs and become everyone’s favorite guest.
Since you are here, make sure to take a look at this Starbucks lemon loaf cake, this lemon brownie recipe, Crumbl lemon bar cookies, Crumbl lemon poppy seed cookies, as well as this simple lemon curd.
Lemon poppy seed is a match made in heaven, now turning this combo into one of the best quick breads was a simple task. It combines a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand to make this insanely moist lemon pound cake-style dessert.
This is the best moist lemon poppy seed bread recipe
The best part about this is the abundance of poppy seeds making this both look great and fave a very fun texture to bite into.
Why do you need to make this lemon poppy seed loaf cake recipe!
- It’s a simple recipe that you can throw together in no time.
- This quick bread is topped with a tangy and thick lemon glaze, creating a beautiful contrast.
- It is thick and packed with lemon flavors.
- This recipe requires minimal hands-on work, the hardest part is patiently waiting for it to bake and cool down.
Ingredients for this lemon poppyseed loaf
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this simple lemon poppy seed cake. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements, including gram measurements.
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream You can use Greek yogurt as well for this.
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest- We are using a combination of lemon extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest to bring out the fresh lemon flavor even more.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works great in this recipe.
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Powdered sugar- When using powdered sugar try to aim for a brand that doesn’t add cornstarch to it to avoid that bad aftertaste. I always use trader joes powdered sugar because it has tapioca flour in there instead. (those anti-caking ingredients)
- Milk- Use any milk you have on hand to thin out the glaze a little more.
- Butter- We will use some butter to thicken the lemon glaze that goes on top of out
- Poppyseeds- Adding the right amount of poppy seeds is a must to balance out the
How to make this lemon poppyseed loaf cake
This is how you can make this lemon loaf. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Add the sugar and the lemon zest to a large mixing bowl.
- Using your hands rub the sugar and the lemon zest together to release all the oils in the lemon and bring out that lemon flavor.
- Add in the eggs and the sour cream and whisk until combined.
- Pour the oil over it with the fresh lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract and whisk again to combine.
- Add in the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and baking powder, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven.
- Allow the loaf cake to cool on a wire rack fully before topping it with the glaze.
Make the sweet lemon glaze
- In a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk, and melted butter.
- Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour over the cooled down
- The cool thing is that this recipe can be made with a stand mixer, an electric mixer/hand mixer, or even using a whisk by hand.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store this loaf cake?
Store this super moist pound cake in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up t a week. Keep in mind that if you live somewhere very warm, it would be best to keep it in the fridge to keep the glaze intact.
Can I freeze this moist lemon cake?
Yes. Slice it then wrap each slice in plastic wrap then transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the slices to thaw before enjoying them, you can either do this by letting them sit in the fridge overnight or on the countertop for a few hours.
CAN I DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THIS RECIPE?
Absolutely! You can double this lemon poppyseed bread recipe or even triple it using the x2 or x3 button on the recipe card below. Just make sure that you are using two or three pans if you are increasing the measurements.
HOW CAN YOU GET THAT PERFECT SPLIT CENTER ON TOP OF THE LOAF CAKE?
There are a few ways to do that, the easiest way would be to run a greased knife or spatula alongside the center of the top of the loaf cake batter.
The second option which is something I have seen on Instagram and tested in one of my banana bread is to pipe a very thin amount of softened butter alongside the center to the top of the loaf cake batter. This will in turn melt as it bakes and create that beautiful split-center loaf cake.
Can I top this with cream cheese frosting instead?
You sure can, I was thinking of topping it with cream cheese frosting and swirls of lemon curd but ended up going with this thick lemony glaze because I wanted something a little more on the simple side. Fut feel free to use whatever frosting you like, I think anything would make this delicious. Add a little fresh citrus flavor to your frosting though to really bring the flavors together and make the quick bread and topping more cohesive.
lemon poppy seed loaf cake recipe
lemon poppy seed loaf cake
- 1 & ¾ cup flour
- 1 & ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- ½ cup oil
- 1 zest of two lemon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 & ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon milk
- ½ tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the sugar and the lemon zest together using your fingers to allow the citrus oils to come through in the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl cream the eggs, sugar, and sour cream together until light nd fluffy.3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup sour cream
- Add in the oil and mix slowly. Add in the lemon zest, lemon extract, and beat to combine.½ cup oil, 1 zest of two lemon, 1 tablespoon lemon extract, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.1 & ¾ cup flour, 1 & ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf pan to cool down completely before removing from the loaf pan and top it with the lemon glaze.
Make the lemon glaze
- In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar, milk, lemon juice, and melted butter and whisk to combine.1 & ½ cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ tablespoon milk, ½ tablespoon butter
- Pour the glaze over the loaf and allow it to set. Slice and enjoy!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
Leave a Comment