These simple chocolate chip scones are easy, lightly sweetened, buttery, and super chocolatey biscuits. They are topped with vanilla sugar for the perfect crunchy and sweet scones.
If you love this recipe, you need to try The softest Crumbl Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Crumbl Mom’s recipe cookies/ Soft Oatmeal cookies, Starbucks Irish Cream Cold Brew Copycat Recipe as well as Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam Cold Brew.
Chocolate chip scones are quickly gonna become one of your favorite breakfast or afternoon tea treats. They’re insanely easy to make and only require a few ingredients so they’re a pretty cheap recipe that you can make if your budget is a little tight.
The simplicity of this recipe is what takes it to the next level though. The butteriness of the scone mixed with the melty chocolate chips you get in everybite makes this scone perfect paired with some hot tea or coffee.
This is the best chocolate chip scone recipe ever!
This scone recipe is also great for weekend breakfast or weekend brunch because it can be whipped extremely fast and will impress everyone at the table.
Each chocolate chip scone is soft, and tender in the center with a nice crunch on the outside. I especially love making these when I am craving something chocolatey!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It’s super chocolatey.
- This recipe uses simple pantry staple ingredients.
- It’s a very cheap recipe.
- These scones can be served for breakfast or for afternoon tea.
- They come together so quickly!
Ingredients for this Chocolate chip scone recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these chocolate chip scones. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Flour– You can use AP flour for this recipe.
- Granulated sugar– The granulated sugar will add a gentle sweetness to these.
- Baking powder– the baking powder is what will give some height to these scones.
- Salt– The salt will balance out the sweetness.
- Butter– You can use salted or unsalted butter, just make sure to use very cold cubed butter.
- Heavy cream– The heavy cream will add moisture to these scones as well as extra fat to keep them tender.
- Egg– The egg is the binding agent of this recipe.
- Vanilla– The vanilla will add extra depth of flavor.
- Chocolate chips – I like to use a mixture of regular semi sweet chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips. But they would also be good with chocolate chunks too. Just make sure to use really good quality chocolate chips.
- Vanilla sugar– The vanilla sugar is optional but it makes the scones that much better.
How to make moist chocolate chip scones
This is how you can make chocolate chip scones Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Mix the egg, vanilla, and heavy cream together and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Mix in the cubed cold butter with your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Don’t overmix.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the scone dough on a lightly floured sugar, gently pat and shape into a thick 8-inch round circle.
- Slice the dough into 8 equally sized triangles.
- Place the scones on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer.
- Brush the heavy cream with extra cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven, cool down, and enjoy.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store scones?
Scones are usually best the day you bake them, but if you need to store them, keeping them in an airtight container at room temp for up to three days will work as well.
Can I freeze these chocolate chip scones?
Yes, these scones can be frozen before baking. Start by cutting them into 8 then freeze on a parchement lined baking sheet until solid. Transfer them into an air-tight container and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, bake them as suggested. You might need to add a minute or two in the oven to get them fully baked.
What type of chocolate chips should I use?
When it comes to chocolate in sweet scones, the better the quality the better the scones. I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, the Ghirardelli or the Guittard one work really well.
Chocolate Chip Scones
If you made these chocolate chip scones and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Chocolate chip scones
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup heavy cream Extra for brushing the scones
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup AP flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon butter cubed,cold
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg, vanilla, and heavy cream together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined. Mix in the cubed cold butter with your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter.
- Mix in the cubed cold butter with your hands (quickly to not melt the butter), a fork, or a pastry cutter. You want the mixture to look pebbly with little pieces of butter covered in flour.
- Pour the heavy cream mixture over the flour mixture and stir with a fork or a rubber spatula to combine, stir in the chocolate chips. Don't overmix.
- Pour the scone dough on a lightly floured sugar, gently pat and shape into a thick 8-inch round circle. Slice the dough into 8 equally sized triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Brush the heavy cream with extra cream and sprinkle with granulated vanilla sugar or regular granulated sugar and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool down and enjoy.
How to store scones?Scones are usually best the day you bake them, but if you need to store them, keeping them in an airtight container at room temp for up to three days will work as well.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!
I made an orange chili version of these scones, and they were so good! I added orange zest to the dough and used Beautiful Briny Sea’s orange chili sugar for the topping. Delish! 😍
Wow, this sounds delicious Becky!
So I am not a chocolate person and don’t even really like chocolate chip cookies but these scones are probably the best chocolate pastry I have ever had. They are perfection. Moist, chocolate, but not to sweet. Loved it and how simple it was to make.
I made these and they turned out so so well and I absolutely love them!! They tasted so so good!!❤️❤️
These became an instant classic in our house! They’re perfect with Lily’s sugar-free chocolate chips!
I am so glad to hear that! I have to try Lily’s sugar free chocolate chips for these next time for sure 🙂
So so yummy!! And easy to make! The recipe was perfect! I used Lily’s Stevia chocolate chips and it was so YUM!
Those are such good chocolate chips!! So happy to hear you enjoyed these!
Amazing scones! I made them for Christmas morning and they were perfect! They aren’t too sweet and have amazing texture! I made the dough the day before and refrigerated it and baked them the next morning. That way they’d be freshly baked and I topped them with powdered sugar! Highly recommend!
These scones are perfect for breakfast or brunch so I am so happy that you loved them as much as we did 🙂