This double chocolate healthy granola is literally the best breakfast option… or lunch, or dinner, or anytime snack if we’re being real. It has the perfect level of chocolate, sea salt, and crunch!
For the longest time I avoided making granola because It just seemed so hard!!
I could make a 2 day french pastry recipe but I still avoided granola making. How ironic huh!
Recently I had so many peanut butter and almond butter jars from a shoot I had previously done that i decided to go for it and try it out! Many of the items I used in this recipe I had on had in my pantry but if you don’t have them you can either substitute the ingredients or just go to your local grocery shop to grab some .
What you need to make this double chocolate granola
Feel free to customize this granola recipe to fit your own needs!
Oats- I used old fashioned oats. You woud also use gluten-free oats, if you have a gluten sensitivity!
Chocolate almond butter: I used the Fokken nuts chocolate almond butter with sea salt but you could also use these nut butters:
- Junstin’s chocolate hazelnut and almond butter
- Barney butter chocolate almond butter
- Laurel’s butter dark chocolate almond butter
- Nutty novelties dark chocolate almond butter
- Elliot’s adult nut butters chocolate chili almond butter
Almonds- For the sake of this recipe I wanted to go for double chocolate and double almonds. But like I said before. you can literally customize this recipe however you’d like. Use peanuts, pecans, walnuts, whatever your heart desires!
Honey- For my sweetener of choice, I went with honey because that is what I had at home. If you would like to make this Vegan use maple syrup instead of honey!
Oil- I used coconut oil for this recipe because it does not have a super high smoke point, but this recipe is not baked at very high temps so it all works out.
Flax and chia seeds- For the sake of adding some more healthy nutritional value, I went with chia and flax seeds. These are high in fiber and omega-3s. They also give an extra crunch to the granola itself!
Sea Salt- When I think of dark chocolate, I think of sea salt. They work so well together! The sea salt I used is this Tasman Sea salt. It has large enough flakes to add a nice crunch to every granola bite!
How to make this double chocolate healthy granola
I just figured out that granola is super easy to make!
Yes, you heard me right!! It is so simple. You mix the ingredients together then bake. The hardest part is waiting for everything to cool down before devouring it…
To make this granola, first preheat your oven to 325F, then line your baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, and stir until everything is combined.
In a separate large measuring up, add in the honey, dark chocolate sea salt almond butter, and coconut oil. Place in the. Microwave and heat the mixture for 20-30 seconds.
Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir making sure that everything is coated in this liquid gold. Pour this mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, making sure to stir halfway through.
Pul it out of the oven, let it cool down and once it reaches room temperature add in the chocolate chunks!
As I said before this is a super simple recipe that you can make anytime and will have a good amount of homemade granola ready for the week!
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Double Chocolate Healthy Granola
Double Chocolate healthy granola
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- First, start by preheating the oven to 325F, then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, the almonds, the chia seeds, and the flax seeds, stir everything to combine and set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, add in the honey, dark chocolate sea salt almond butter, and coconut oil. Place in the. Microwave and heat the mixture for 20-30 seconds.
- Pull the mixture out of the microwave when it’s warm and stir to make sure everything is well combined.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the oats mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes making sure to stir halfway through. Remove the pan from the oven sprinkle the granola with some sea salt and let it cool down completely. Once it reaches room temperature you can add in the dark chocolate chips.
Ways to eat this double chocolate healthy granola
This is a great question! I think many of us won’t get to eating it in all these different ways because we will probably run out of granola by option number 3 … But hey, more of an excuse to make more right?!
My top three ways of eating it though will have to be:
- layered in a parfait using some raspberries, vanilla greek yogurt and this deliciousness.
- In a bowl with milk.
- And of course by the handful, because why not!!?
Other ways to enjoy it would be
- Sprinkled over a yogurt bowl
- Mixed into ice cream
- Sprinkled over fruit
- Sprinkled over a smoothie bowl or an acaii bowl
Why I feel like a brand new person who absolutely loves making her own granola
Like I said before, Granola was intimidating to me. I always thought buying from the store was the way to go, but even then I would avoid it given the fact that 1/4 of a cup of that often has 250 calories…
Now, well, that’s a completely different story. Making my own homemade granola is a form of expression… I guess haha.
You could literally make it into anything you’d like. If you’ve craving lemon pie flavor, well use some lemon juice, maple syrup, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and a tiny bit of coconut oil and there you have it. Amazing homemade granola
What I am trying to say is that you could create your own flavor combination, make it as healthy as you’d like . by adding ingredients that you feel comfortable consuming
Other recipe you will love!
Since you loved this breakfast granola recipe, here are a few others that I am sure you will like 🙂
- Healthy Almond double Chocolate Brownies
- Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins with a Delicious Streusel
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips
Product you might like
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.