This Christmas Crack or saltine cracker toffee is one of the easiest Christmas sweet and salty treat recipes ever! It is made with a layer of Saltine crackers, homemade toffee, and melted chocolate, and topped with your favorite nuts, sprinkles or Christmas candies. It is made with simple ingredients but if the perfect gift to give your loved ones this holiday season.
This is the best Christmas cracker candy ever!
This Christmas Crack candy is the perfect combination of sweet, salt, soft, and crunchy with the perfect side of ease of preparation. It baked for only a few minutes and the rest is pretty much having to be patient while waiting for the melted chocolate and the toffee mixture to set.
To be honest with you, I didn’t grow up having this since I am from Algeria but the moment I tried this I got hooked and I knew I had to share it on my site for everyone else that might’ve not grown up with this.
What is Christmas cracker candy?
This Christmas Crack candy is a mixture of chocolate crackers and toffee. It tastes like toffee but has the perfect crunchy bite thanks to the crackers. It is an old school dessert that many have been having since they were very young! It is an easy way to make candy without a thermometer, just make sure to time the recipe right!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It’s an easy Christmas dessert.
- This is the perfect way to make your holiday cookie plate look fuller. I use these to fill out the empty spaces between the cookies.
- The decorating part is a great way to get your little ones involved. Each child can decorate their own corner allowing them to take pride in their work!
- It only requires a handful of ingredients making it a great frugal recipe and I think we can all appreciate that as of now since prices have gone crazy high the past few months.
Ingredients for this easy candy recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements
How to make this easy Christmas Crack recipe?
This is how you can make this easy saltine candy. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Cover your pan with foil.
- Place a single layer of saltine crackers on top of the foil making sure they are side by side.
- Melt the butter and the brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once it gets to a rolling boil, stir constantly and cook for 3 whole minutes. This is important to get that Toffee texture. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Pour the toffee mixture on top of the crackers and gently spread the mixture to evenly coat them.
- Bake in the preheated oven.
- Immediately top with the chocolate chips, allow them to sit there, and melt fully this will take 3-4 minutes.
- Spread using a knife or a spatula, top with your desired toppings, and let it set.
- Slice and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
How to store these?
You can store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
These taste great out of the fridge or out of the freezer!
Can you use a different cracker?
Absolutely! The saltine cracker method is the most common one but you can also use ritz crackers, salted matzos, club crackers, graham crackers, or even pretzels!
Can you use different toppings?
I made this recipe using semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can use milk chocolate, white chocolate (it might be a tab bit too sweet), or even dark chocolate which is one of our faves. If you don’t want to use chocolate you can top it with peanut butter chips as well, the sweet toffee and peanut butter chips pair so well!
Christmas saltine toffee candy AKA Christmas crack
The Best Christmas Crack
- Preheat the oven to 350F then line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray then line with a single layer of side by side saltine crackers. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the butter is fully melted and the mixture start to bubble. Set a timer and cook while constantly stirring for 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and mix again.1 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the mixture evenly over the saltine crackers, gently spread the mixture with the wooden spoon or a knife.40 saltine crackers
- Bake in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Allow them to sit there and melt for 3-4 minutes before spreading it to create an even layer of melted chocolate on top of the saltine crackers.2 cups milk chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped pecans
- Sprinkle with the chopped pecans, m&m's, or Christmas sprinkles while the chocolate is still soft then allow it to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours. You can speed up the process by chilling it in the fridge of freezer. Slice and enjoy
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!