No bake energy balls you say? These delicious little almond halva energy balls are coated with a generous chocolate crunch layer for the best texture and flavor ever. They are easy to make with kids during the summer days and enjoyed on your weekly outings!
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
First, off these almond halva balls with a crunchy chocolate coating are life! I wanted to say it right off the bat so that you guys know that making them is an absolute necessity!
This time I wanted to share with you guys something I made for Eid-el-fitr. This is the holiday that comes right after Ramadan to celebrate the first day where we can eat regularly after a whole month of fasting from sun up til sun down.
Traditionally, families get together and celebrate together but this year has been a little different. Since we are social distancing and trying to stay away from one another, we celebrated through video call. It was definitely different but it was better than nothing.
Since we couldn’t get together… even if we could I am in Las Vegas and my family is in North Africa so that’s a problem on its own. Anyways, since we were here alone, I decided to only make a few little things and these halva and almond no bake energy bars were the biggest hit.
These are technically called bniwen balls but for the sake of SEO we will call them delicious energy balls! Don’t get me wrong they definitely will give you all the energy in the world!
What is Algerian Bniwen?
Bniwen is something well known in Algeria, especially around the holiday season. This recipe translates to little tasties because it is made with everything tasty and delicious.
These energy balls are made using a mixture of nuts, cookies/crackers, halva, and something liquid to bring it all together. I used dulce de leche so that they have a little something extra and it worked wonders.
This holiday cookie balls is easy to make and can be made using very few ingredients. You don’t have dulce de leche? No problem, just use butter. No almonds? Well, use any other nuts that you might like.
That’s the beautiful of these popular Algerian sweets. They can be made however you like, with whatever you have at home.
What’s so special about these
- Easy to make
- Come together quickly
- Super chocolatey
- Sweet and delicious
- Perfect for cookie box gifting
I love making these little no bake balls because they come together quickly and easily. If I ever have to go somewhere and don’t want to go empty handed these are the treats that I more often find myself making.
Ingredients to make
- Toasted almonds– The toasted almonds give the perfect crunch to the halva energy balls.
- Halva– Halva is a staple for middle eastern or North African dessert making, especially around Eid-el-fitr.
- Crushed graham crackers– The graham crackers will give the energy ball more volume.
- Dulce de leche– Dulce de leche is the glue in this recipe. It will make everything come together at the ends.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips– You will need either semi sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips to melt and coat the no bake energy balls in.
- Coconut oil– We use coconut oil to give the dipping chocolate the needed texture.
- Rice Krispy cereal– You can never go wrong with extra crunch. Adding the rice crispy cereal will enhance the overall texture of these halva nut energy balls.
What is Halva?
On my tahini chocolate chip cookie recipe I spoke about what tahini was. Today, I wanna tell you a little bit more about halva.
Halva is a middle eastern dense and sweet confection. It is made using sesame seeds (or other nut butters) and sugar to create an incredibly textured candy.
It has a crumbly yet, crunchy texture and pairs very well with many desserts. Even though I often find myself snacking on it plain!
More recipes you will absolutely love!
- Chewy chocolate chips tahini cookies
- Healthy cookie dough chocolate balls
- Hemp seed healthy chocolate balls
How to make No bake energy balls with halva and almonds?
In a medium bowl add in the ground almonds, crushed halva, crushed graham crackers and the dulce de leche and mix using your hands or a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
Take about a tablespoon of the mixture and roll in into balls. You will get 23-24 balls. Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in the microwave in 30 seconds increments. Stir every 30 seconds, and if it is not completely melted place it back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
When the chocolate is melted add in the rice crispy cereal and mix until incorporated.
Dip each ball in the chocolate mixture using a fork. Tap to remove excess then set it back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Place them in the fridge to set. This will take 15-20 minutes.
How to store no bake energy balls?
These no bake energy balls with chocolate crunch coating can be stored in an airtight contained in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Almond no bake energy balls with chocolate crunch
These no bake energy balls can be made during the holiday and Christmas season as well. They are the perfect little treat to serve instead of cookies for Santa on Christmas eve!
Almond No Bake Energy Balls with Chocolate Crunch ( ALGERIAN BNIWEN)
- 1 cup toasted almonds Finely ground in the food processor
- 1/2 cup halva crushed
- 3/4 cup graham crackers crushed
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche
Crunch chocolate coating
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup rice krispies
- In a medium bowl add in the ground almonds, crushed halva, crushed graham crackers and the dulce de leche and mix using your hands or a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
- Take about a tablespoon of the mixture and roll in into balls. You will get 23-24 balls. Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in the microwave in 30 seconds increments. Stir every 30 seconds, and if it is not completely melted place it back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- When the chocolate is melted add in the rice crispy cereal and mix until incorporated.
- Dip each ball in the chocolate mixture using a fork. Tap to remove excess then set it back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Place them in the fridge to set. This will take 15-20 minutes.
As always, I want to thank you fo making it all the way down here! If you tried this recipe please let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear your feedback.
LV• Recipe developer • Food photographer • Gym Addict • Marketing person •
🧁📸 🏋🏻♀️ 📈
I use my oven as a heater 😭😂🤷🏻♀️
FREE recipes below!
PS: make sure to follow me on Instagram!
Until next time.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!