These Sablés cookies with whole wheat flour and hemp hearts are the perfect tea time cookie recipe. They represent everything good about french baking! They are very buttery, have a light sweetness to them and the addition of the hemp seed hearts gives them a light nutty flavor. Enjoy one of these French butter cookies with a black cup of tea for a relaxing afternoon snack.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Today, we are baking french! Yes you heard that right, on the menu we have a delicious light, crispy and lightly sweetened french butter cookie recipe. It needs a whole lot of butter to keep the cookie together but don’t be scared of the butter content. The final product will blow your mind!
I have always been a huge fan of “tea time” as the British call it. It is the perfect time to unwind a relax after a long morning/early afternoon. At that time you get to sit down, unwind a little before finishing up with your day’s work and enjoy a sweet little bite.
In my case, I like to enjoy a hot cup of english breakfast tea with my french shortbread cookies and focus on being mindful while enjoying my daily treat.
What are sablé cookies?
First off we need to talk a little bit about what a sablé cookie is. Sablé cookies are originally from Sablé-sur-Sarthe in france (hence the name) They are a round shortbread cookie, lightly sweetened and are very similar to sandy cookies as we know them here in the United States.
The sablé cookie is pronounces Sa-blay. Sable actually means sand in french which works so well for these cookies because they lightly crumble in your mouth in a way that reminds me of sand ( but waaay better than sand though!!!!)
What’s so special about these sables cookies?
When I tell you these cookies are worth it, I mean it! They are:
- Flaky and crumbly
- Lightly sweet
- Earthy and aromatic
- Perfectly paired with a nice cup of black tea
- easily shareable, perfect cookie for the holiday season. Add some cinnamon and nutmeg to them and you got yourself a festive treat.
Ingredients for the whole wheat Sablés cookies with hemp hearts
- All purpose flour – All purpose white flour makes for 1/2 of the flour content of these sable cookies
- Whole wheat flour– Whole wheat adds in a little bit of nuttiness to these butter cookies. Whole wheat flour consists of the second half of the flour content in this recipe.
- Butter– This recipe contains a lot of butter. That’s where this sable cookie gets its crumbly and buttery texture from.
- Sugar– We only use a little bit of sugar to give it a light sweet flavor.
- Salt– Always add salt in to your sweet baked goods to add an extra depth of flavor.
- Vanilla extract– Vanilla bring a beautiful sweet notes to these shortbread cookies.
- Hemp seed hearts– Hemp hears have a nice nutty and earthy flavor and adding it to this sable french cookies makes that nuttiness shine.
What are hemp hearts?
The hemp hearts are what’s inside of a hemp seed. It is soft and full of nutrients. These tiny little nutrient packed seed hearts are cream and green in color. They have a nutty and earthy flavor that pairs perfectly with the whole wheat flour.
Do I have to use hemp hearts?
I am not saying you have to, but you definitely should! These cookies would taste really good without the hemp seed hearts.
But if you really want to use something else, feel free to replace the hemp seed hearts with toasted sesame seeds. You can also use nuts or even mini chocolate chips instead. Get creative here and see what you like the most.
Why are we using whole wheat flour is these Sablés cookies are not healthy?
By now, you probably guessed that this french butter cookie recipe is nothing but healthy for you even if it uses whole wheat flour!
The whole wheat flour here is used to accentuate the nutty and earthy flavor of the hemp seeds as well as help make these cookies extra crumbly. You can definitely use all purpose instead of the whole wheat but I genuinely want you to experience the flavor elevation that the whole wheat flour brings to these sablé cookies.
More slice and bake cookie recipes you will love!
- Chocolate peppermint slice and bake cookies
- Walnut chocolate slice and bake cookies
- Chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar
How to make these french whole wheat sablé cookies
Start by creaming the butte, sugar, salt and vanilla together with a hand or stand mixer. This will only take about 1 minute.
Once the butter is creamed, scrape the sides and add in the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and hemp hearts. Mix just until incorporated.
Lay a plastic wrap piece flat on the counter top and scrape the sables dough down on it. Roll it into a 6 inch log and refrigerate for an hour.
10 minutes before pulling the cookie log out of the fridge, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Pull out the cookie dough from the oven and and slice 1/4-inch cookies using a sharp knife. Place them on the parchment lined cookie sheet making sure to leave at least 1.5 inch between each cookie. Bake the cookies on the top wrack for 7 minutes, lower the baking sheet to the bottom third of the oven and bake for another 7 minutes.
Pull out the cookies and let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then. move them to a cool wrack. Enjoy these cookies after they cooled down.
Tips for the best whole wheat Sablés cookies
- Don’t over mix the butter and sugar- You want to only mix the butter and the sugar together until they are incorporated. You don’t need to whip up too much air in it because that will cause the cookie to puff up and then deflate.
- Slice the cookie log with a sharp knife- A sharp knife will make slicing these Sablés cookies a lot easier. If you are still having a hard time, dip the knife in hot water, wipe it and then slice your cookies.
- Move the baking sheet from the top wrack to the bottom wrack halfway through- Don’t skip this step! This will ensure that your cookies are baked evenly and have a nice crispy bottom.
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Whole wheat sablés cookies with hemp seeds
These cookies are the best french butter cookies ever. They are easily customizable, add toasted sesame seeds instead of hemp seeds if you don’t have them on hands to get the same delicious butter cookie!
Whole Wheat Sablés
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hempseed hearts
- Start by creaming the butte, sugar, salt and vanilla together with a hand or stand mixer. This will only take about 1 minute.
- Once the butter is creamed, scrape the sides and add in the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and hemp hearts. Mix just until incorporated.
- Lay a plastic wrap piece flat on the counter top and scrape the sables dough down on it. Roll it into a 6 inch log and refrigerate for an hour.
- 10 minutes before pulling the cookie log out of the fridge, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place one of the oven wracks in the top 1/3 of the oven and the second one in lower third of the oven.
- Pull out the cookie dough from the oven and and slice 1/4-inch cookies using a sharp knife. Place them on the parchment lined cookie sheet making sure to leave at least 1.5 inch between each cookie. Bake the cookies on the top wrack for 7 minutes, lower the baking sheet to the bottom third of the oven and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Pull out the cookies and let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then. move them to a cool wrack. Enjoy these cookies after they cooled down.
If you made it all the way down here, thank you so much! I would love to know how this recipe turned out for you in the comments below.
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!