Sometimes you just need to make chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar! Whether it is because you don’t have brown sugar on hand or just because you want to try something new, these chocolate chip cookies will be right up your alley.
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST GET A FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER AND RECIPE CARD!
Seeing how successful my brownie recipe without cocoa powder has been, I wanting to bring you something similar this week to help you during this crazy pandemic.
As you already know, because of stay at home orders, we have been trying to stay at home as much as possible. So the more we stay home, the more we use up the stash of brown sugar I purchased last month!
Now that I found myself out of brown sugar, I had to find a solution. I tried the no brown sugar chocolate chip recipe from an Italian in My Kitchen but it was a little too crunchy. I used it as my inspiration and tried changing a few things to make it work for us and how we like our cookies… a little less crunchy.
These cookies still definitely are a lot crunchier than your regular chocolate chip cookies with brown sugar. But give them a try, you might like them 🙂
What’s so special about these no brown sugar chocolate chips
These chocolate chip cookies are very special! Here is why:
- These chocolate chip cookies are made without brown sugar!
- They can be in a slice and bake way! They are similar to the cookie dough log that you can purchase from the store.
- They are a little crispy so if you prefer crispy cookies, you will love these!
Are these chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar the same as traditional chocolate chip cookies?
Well not exactly…
The traditional chocolate chip cookies are soft and chewy because of the high moisture content of the brown sugar. When removing the brown sugar from a chocolate chip cookie recipe, we are bound to get something a little different.
In this situation the cookies don’t get that golden brown color. They are also a lot less soft and chewy than the regular chocolate chip cookies made with brown sugar.
But hey.. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Sometimes you might not have brown sugar at the house and can’t get any at the time the cravings hit or maybe you just love crispy chocolate chip cookies. Whatever the reason may be, these are still chocolate chip cookies that taste incredible with a large class of iced cold milk!
Ingredients for the best chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar
- Softened butter
- Granulated sugar
- An egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Corn starch
- Semi sweet chocolate chips ( regular and mini)
- Sea salt (optional)
How do you make cookies from scratch without brown sugar?
First start by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a medium bow. Start with the flour, the baking powder the corn starch and the salt and set aside.
Now, cream the butter and the sugar using a hand mixer or a paddle attachment in a stand mixer. Mix the sugar and butter mixture for 3-4 minutes. Add in the egg and the vanilla and beat just until combined.
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combiner. Add in the chocolate chips and mix one last time.
Grab your plastic wrap and cut a large piece of it. Place the plastic wrap on the counter and scoop our the cookie dough on the plastic wrap. Form a 12″ log, wrap the cookie dough with plastic wrap and tie the ends. Place the cookie dough in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
Once the cookie dough has chilled in the fridge, pull it out and preheat the oven to 350F. Using a sharp knife cut 20 slices and place them on a large parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15-17 minutes, let the cookies cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling wrack. Enjoy with a large cup of milk!
What if I want I don’t want to shape it in a log?
If you don’t want to shape it in a log, you can always use a small cookie scooper and scoop out the no brown sugar cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and bake the cookies for 17-18 minutes.
You will not get that large circle cookie shape that I got from the slice and bake chocolate chip cookie but the scooped out cookies will look like the ones below.
Tips for the best no brown sugar cookies
- Refrigerate the dough- Don’t skip this step. This cookie dough is pretty soft when you make it. Placing it in the fridge will give it some structure so you don’t end up with a super flat cookie. Plus, refrigerating the cookie dough for longer periods of time makes the cookie flavor a whole lot more intense and who doesn’t like that!
- Use good quality chocolate- Good quality chocolate is always a must when making cookies. It is such an important component and this recipe contains a lot of it. So to make a better cookie recipe, get some good chocolate.
How to store chocolate chip cookies?
You can store these chocolate chip cookies baked or raw.
To store them raw, place your sliced chocolate chip cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze. After an hour, the cookie dough pucks will be completely frozen. Transfer them to a plastic bag or an airtight container and put back in the freezer. They will last for up to 3 months this way! Plus whenever the cookie cravings hit you will have cookie ready to use 🙂
To store the baked chocolate chip cookies, place them in an airtight container and store them at room temperature. They will last for 3-5 days this way.
If you really prefer the traditional chocolate chip cookies, make your own brown sugar and make one of these recipes!
- Small batch chocolate chip cookie recipe
- espresso chocolate chip cookies
- walnut chocolate chip cookies
How do you make homemade brown sugar?
If you don’t have brown sugar at home, you might be able to make it if you have some molasses leftover from your holiday baking!
- To make light brown sugar mix ½ cup white sugar with 2 teaspoon molasses.
- To make dark brown sugar mix ½ cup white sugar with 1 tablespoon molasses.
Make sure to stir well using a fork to combine everything together. Store your homemade brown sugar in an air tight container to keep it from drying it out and becoming hard.
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
No brown sugar chocolate chip cookies
Next time you need a recipe for cookies without brown sugar, you’ll know where to go!
Chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- First start by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a medium bow. Start with the flour, the baking powder the corn starch and the salt and set aside.
- Now, cream the butter and the sugar using a hand mixer or a paddle attachment in a stand mixer. Mix the sugar and butter mixture for 3-4 minutes. Add in the egg and the vanilla and beat just until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combiner. Add in the chocolate chips and mix one last time.
- Grab your plastic wrap and cut a large piece of it. Place the plastic wrap on the counter and scoop our the cookie dough on the plastic wrap. Form a 12" log, wrap the cookie dough with plastic wrap and tie the ends. Place the cookie dough in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Once the cookie dough has chilled in the fridge, pull it out and preheat the oven to 350F. Using a sharp knife cut 20 slices and place them on a large parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, let the cookies cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling wrack. Enjoy with a large cup of milk!
If you made it all the way down here, I just want to say thank you! If you made this recipe and enjoyed it please let me know in the comments below 🙂
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!