This healthy pumpkin bread with Chocolate Chips will blow your mind! It is finally time for us to transition into fall and everything pumpkin, so this pumpkin bread is giving us all the feels! It is made using whole wheat flour, pumpkin puree, honey, and a secret ingredient you’ll read all about in a little bit.
Hello you guys!
The first day of fall is in 3 days and I couldn’t be more excited, could you?!
In honor of the beginning of this season I’m trying to make everything pumpkin… Yes, you could say I am a bit obsessed.
Before moving to America, I did not think that I would enjoy pumpkin in sweet baked goods… Heck! I didn’t even know that existed, fast forward to my first thanksgiving, and a whole half pumpkin cheese cake plus some pumpkin pie slices down, I now know I am a firm believer and most importantly firm lover of everything pumpkin dessert!
But of course, since I often try to eat healthy and clean I had to find a good alternative to the processed, sugary pumpkin bread. Not saying that there is anything wrong with that specific kind. I actually still enjoy it very much but in moderation!!
Let’s talk about the secret ingredient!
Aren’t you so excited that you made it this far? I feel like when I see secret ingredient in a recipe, I automatically get triggered! I NEED to know what it is.
Well in this case the secret ingredient here is turmeric! You might or might not have guessed it already by the vibrant color of this healthy pumpkin bread.
When I was making the recipe, I thought about adding extra super spices and the first one that came to mind was turmeric because in my mind the colors of it and pumpkin together just made sense!
What are some Turmeric health benefits?
Curcumin is the main source of all the health and healing benefits that are found in turmeric. This spice is an anti-inflammatory gold mine! It helps reduce the risk of many degenerative conditions.
Curcumin is also an extremely powerful antioxidant, Studies and research has shown that it is 5-10 times stronger than vitamin C and E at getting rid of free radicals!
Other than the Turmeric, what’s so special about this healthy pumpkin bread?*
Whole Wheat Flour: This bread is made using whole wheat flour instead of regular bleached white flour! This is the perfect flour when trying to avoid processed foods. It will also keep you satiated for way longer!
Olive oil: It is contains high amounts of anti-oxidants, and may also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Pumpkin Puree: We might not think of pumpkin puree as a super healthy ingredient, but it really is! it is rich in vitamin A, anti oxidants, and immune boosting vitamins… Perfect for the seasonal changes!
So next time you worry about if you should or shouldn’t have chocolate chip pumpkin bread this fall, read this to remind yourself that it is full of healthy goodness!
Can you freeze this pumpkin bread?
Making big loaves of bread is kind of though when there are only 2 of you! but freezing the leftover slices will ensure this healthy pumpkin bread to stay fresh for longer.
To freeze this chocolate chip pumpkin bread, make sure to cool the bread completely. Then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and them seal it completely in an airtight container or bag.
This recipe uses my homemade pumpkin pie spice, make sure to check out the article to make your own pumpkin pie spice and use it in this recipe!
Healthy Pumpkin Break with Chocolate Chips
Healthy Pumpkin bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate plus extra for to top the bread
- Start by preheating the oven to 350F and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in your dry ingredients; whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, turmeric, and salt. Stir everything together and set aside.
- In a slightly smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients together; pumpkin puree, honey, olive oil, vanilla extract, and the eggs. Whisk until everything is smooth and incorporated.
- Pour the wet mixture of the dry and mix using a spatula. Do not overmix, mix only until combined then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the pumpkin bread mixture in the loaf pan, smooth out the top and top with a couple of tablespoons of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test! If the pumpkin bread starts darkening too much wrap the loaf pan with aluminum foil. This will prevent the top of the bread from burning.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes then pull out of the loaf pan and enjoy!
If you do make this bread I would love for you to let me know how it turned out for you on the comment section below! You could also reach out to me through the contact me page or through instagram as well! Sharing a picture of your finished good will earn you some bonus points !
For this recipe a couple substitutions could make this pumpkin bread vegan!
- Honey: You could substitute maple syrup instead of honey, use 1/2 cup of maple syrup instead of the 3/4 cup of honey.
- Eggs: Instead of using regular eggs, you could use two flax eggs.
- Olive oil: This won’t change your bread from vegan to non-vegan, but if you don’t have olive oil or would like to use it as much in baking, you could go ahead and replace it with, coconut oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
Tips to make the perfect pumpkin bread
- When it comes to baking in general the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to use the best ingredients possible! In this recipe I used simple truth organic dark chocolate chunks because I love how dark they are and how amazing they taste. I also use Libby’s pumpkin puree because it is very thick and flavorful!
- Do NOT over-mix! When it comes to this healthy pumpkin bread over-mixing it means ending up with a denser loaf of bread. The trick here is to mix just until everything seems to be incorporated and then stop, pop it in the oven and you’re all set!
- To add or not to add the chocolate chips/chunks? I love chocolate, so I added dark 72% chocolate chunks. If you want to add something else for example cranberries/raisins, nuts, go right ahead! The beauty of this bread is its versatility! I want you to make it your own, just how you and your family and friends like it 🙂
If you enjoyed this fall recipe check these ones out as well!
Products that I love
If you liked this Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread make sure to PIN IT for later!
*While I have done thorough research about these ingredients and what’s more healthy, this content is for informational purposes only! Make sure to consult a doctor or a dietician for any specific dietary needs or questions