So this time I decided to do something a little different per se, it is not a recipe but a how-to/ tutorial type of thing that will allow you to prepare and cook bell peppers in a way that will make your life so much easier
When I was younger, I used to cook a lot with both my mother and grandmother. We had this typical side dish that they would always make using red peppers, tomatoes, and olive oil. It was a roasted red bell pepper salad or in Arabic felfel djazairi, my sister actually used to love it as a child. But unfortunately, it has been a while since we have had it since we don’t live near our family anymore… So I recently decided to be the sweetheart that I am and surprise my little sister by making her this Algerian dish. The only thing here is the fact that roasting the bell peppers on the stove top takes so long, and I can’t even begin to tell you guys about all those burns I have gotten while roasting these evil bell peppers back home…
So I looked around a bit and was able to find something that you stick in the oven and thirty minutes later… BOOM ready! So down below I wrote a detailed explanation of how to roast bell peppers in the oven and I will make sure to post another recipe telling you guys how to make our delicious Algerian red bell pepper salad!
Oven roasted red bell pepper
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Red bell peppers (doesn’t get simpler than this)
- First, start by preheating your oven to 450 F degrees.
- Rinse your bell peppers and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Cut out the stems and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the bell peppers cut side down on an aluminum lined or parchment lined baking sheet.
- roast the bell peppers in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the bell pepper skin is wrinkled and charred.
- Feel free to rotate the baking sheet halfway through to make sure that the bell peppers are roasted evenly.
- After the bell peppers are done baking, remove them from the baking sheet and place them in a bowl and cover it for 30 minutes.
- This will allow all the steam to work its magic and make the skin easier to peel off.
- After the 30 minutes, the bell peppers should be cool to the touch. Peel them and put them in a glass container. If you are going to use them within a day or two leave them as such. If you are using them throughout the week drizzle some olive oil for better storage.