A couple of days ago I decided to de-clutter my pantry. While cleaning out things that I didn’t need anymore. I found a bag of organic farro from Nature’s Earthly Choices all the way in the back of the top shelf. At first, I had no idea what to do with since I have never used this grain before. I took a couple of minutes to research it and to my surprise it seemed to be extremely healthy!
It not only has a lot of fiber which helps with digestion, but it also has a large amount of protein for such a small grain (for every 1/4 cup of dry farro there is about 7 grams of protein. I then went on Pinterest to see how I should use it. I found a multitude of recipes, but wasn’t inspired by any of those. I decided to use it instead of rice and mix it with some greens and shrimp to make a high protein dinner.
Yield 2-3 servings
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
1 cup farro, I used Nature’s earthly Choice
2 cups chicken broth or water
1lbs peeled and deveined shrimp
2 tsp chili lime rub, I used the Weber brand
1 cup of arugula or spinach
2 tsp lime zest
1 ripe avocado
Salt to taste *
- Put the peeled shrimp in a bowl, add the juice of one lime, the chili lime rub and about 2 tsp of salt and mix well. Cover the shrimp and let it sit in the fridge to soak all that flavor while you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- As the shrimp is marinating, put two cups of chicken broth in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Measure and rinse the farro, then add it to the boiling broth. Adda pinch of salt (optional), reduce the heat, cover it and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until there is no more liquid in the pan.
- In a separate pan, melt 1 tbsp butter and sautée the arugula or spinach, then add the cooked farro and mix it with the sauteed greens, sprinkle with the lime zest.
- In a large skillet, melt some coconut oil over medium- high heat. Make sure the skillet is really hot, then add your shrimp. Cook until the shrimp begin to curl and get a nice pink color to them, about 1-2 minutes depending on the size.
- Serve on a plate starting with the farro, the shrimp then the sliced avocado. Squeeze some lime on it and enjoy!
*I would recommend adding salt to taste. Since I don’t use much salt my taste buds have grown accustomed to less salt in my meals.
- Here is the lime rub that I used.
- Here is the Organic Italian Pearled Farro that I used.