Sweet potato in a smoothie you say?! and it tastes likes a sweet potato pie while still being healthy!? Even better, huh! I hope you’re ready to completely fall in love with one of the best Fall smoothie recipes EVER!
First! I’d love it if you signed up for my email list so we can stay in contact and go through this crazy blogging/ life journey together!
Why use sweet potatoes in a smoothie?
Sweet potatoes in a smoothie sound a little weird don’t they! But we still often like to make sweet potato dessert so why not throw it in a smoothie.
I thought about using sweet potatoes in smoothies after I wrote my how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven article. I ended up having 3 leftover sweet potatoes and I wasn’t sure what to make with them!
It was either going to be a thanksgiving sweet potato casserole which would’ve been loaded with marshmallows or this delicious sweet potato smoothie!
Personally, I throughly enjoyed putting sweet potatoes in a smoothie because it adds a natural sweetness to the smoothie and OMG let me tell you about the texture!
If you know me, you’ll know that I’m all about texture and a smooth thick smoothie is unbeatable in my book! So next time you’re looking for something to make your smoothie extra thick and extra creamy without using yogurt add sweet potatoes to it and watch the magic happen!
When to have this sweet potato smoothie?
This healthy sweet potato smoothie is perfect any time really! I often like to have it for breakfast to just start my metabolism with something tasty and healthy!
This delicious healthy smoothie could also be consumed as a pre or post workout since it has a lot of healthy carbohydrates from the sweet potatoes and the carbs it will help give you an awesome boost of energy at the gym and recover even faster!
How to make this healthy sweet potato smoothie
This smoothie is as easy as 1,2,3! Add all the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth!
Benefits of sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a nutrition powerhouse! Trust me when I say that, why do you think all those fitness addicts have sweet potatoes as their carbs when they meal prep!
In case you haven’t seen they often made sweet potatoes, chicken, and broccoli… That’s the BRO DIET for ya!!! I am not for it at all, but I definitely think they are onto something!
- Sweet potatoes are super high in fiber and have been shown to promote a healthy digestive system! It also appears that the high levels of phytosterol content in sweet potatoes have a protective effect on the digestive system!
- The high fiber in sweet potatoes and anti-oxidants may promote the growth of good gut bacterias. This is imperative, especially in the time we live in! We consume so many processed foods that our gut microbiome definitely takes a hit!
- Sweet potatoes are also very high in beta-carotene and anthocyanins which are anti-oxidants that may help prevent vision loss and improve eye health!
Sweet potato smoothie ingredients
This sweet potato smoothie recipe is very simple and does not require many ingredients at all!
- Sweet potatoes – This is the base of the recipe, all you have to do is bake your sweet potatoes in the oven, let them cool, peel them and use the flesh for this smoothie recipe!
- Dates – Dates are what’s gonna complement that delicious natural sweet potato flavor. They will add a bit more sweetness to the smoothie. If you do not have date you can use maple syrup instead.
- Hemp Seeds – Add a tablespoon of hemp seeds to add extra plant based protein to the recipe.
- Almond butter– The nut butter here will add that nutty toasted flavor. You can use any nut butter, but I personally prefer almond butter because it just makes this recipe taste much more festive!
- milk– At this point you could use which ever milk you want. if you are going for a vegan smoothie recipe use an unsweetened dairy free milk. I used coconut milk and it was delicious!
- pumpkin pie spice– Don’t be scared here, pumpkin pie spice is just a mix of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and all spice. So if you don’t have and don’t wanna make pumpkin spice at your house, use a pinch of each of these ingredients.
- Vanilla – Vanilla is always welcome in pretty much everything. You can always omit it if you don’t have it on hand though.
What does a sweet potato smoothie taste like ?
This sweet potato smoothie recipe tastes just like a sweet potato pie but healthier! I kid you not, I have been doing intermittent fasting for the last couple of days and had this drink to break my fast and it tasted like heaven!
I guess we could say that it was because I was hungry but I am sure that it was more than just that! If you ever are craving something sweet and delicious that also reminds you of thanksgiving this is the way to go!
Want an even healthier sweet potato smoothie? Add these some of ingredients!
This sweet potato smoothie is very healthy as is, but there are always other options to boost up the nutritional value of it all!
- Protein powder – If you are looking to increase your protein intake you could add protein powder to this smoothie. The protein might make your sweet potato smoothie a lot more thick so add a little more liquid to get it to the consistency you prefer.
- Extra hemp seed – This smoothie already has 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds but you could absolutely add more than just that to increase the protein content of the smoothie while still keeping it vegan!
- Chia seeds– By adding Chia seeds to this smoothie you will be amping up your healthy fat consumption! Chia seeds are known to have very high amounts of Omega-3s!
- Oats- I often enjoy adding oats to my smoothies because it increases the fiber content as well as the protein content! Keep in mind that adding oats will thicken your smoothie so play around with the liquids a bit!
- flax seeds- Adding Flax seed meal to my smoothies has become a thing for me over the last couple of years. It boosts the fiber content as well mineral content of the smoothie. You can start with a tablespoon and see how you like it 🙂
- Spinach- I ALWAYS add my greens to my smoothies… When it came to this smoothie I just wanted to show you guys how pretty the orange from the sweet potatoes is! By adding the spinach to your smoothie you will be able to get in more veggies without even trying!
If you make any modifications to this recipe please let me know in the comments! I’d love to know what you used and how it turned out. Who knows, I might end up loving it even more !
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Sweet potato smoothie recipe
Sweet potato smoothie recipe
- 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dairy free milk You could use regular milk if you don't care for this being vegan/dairy free
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large dates
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp toasted coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp pomegranates
- Combine the sweet potatoes, milk, vanilla, dates, hemp seeds, almond butter, and the pumpkin pie spice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- At this point you can try the smoothie to check if the sweetness is good, if not add another date and blend again. Now you can either add about 1/2 cup of ice cubes to make the smoothie colder and a little bit thicker or you can omit this step. Keep in mind that the more ice you add the less strong the smoothie flavor will be.
- Serve and enjoy!
SHOP THIS RECIPE!
THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN SOME AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH AND MAKE A PURCHASE