These traditional muddies buddies or puppy chow as some might call them is an easy-to-make, super addictive sweet snack. They are made with cereal, melted chocolate, and peanut butter, then tossed in powdered sugar. They’re seriously a crowd favorite!
Since you’re here, I know you’ll love The easiest Chocolate Covered Marshmallows, Peanut Butter Buckeye Pretzel Bites, Festive Marbled Christmas Sugar cookie recipe, 2-Ingredient No bake Coconut Balls and also Fudgy Chocolate Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies.
Can you believe I didn’t know what muddy buddies were before I moved to the US?! It is truly an American delicacy that I make every year around Christmas time.
The crunch from the cereal with the sweet and salty chocolate peanut butter layer and the powdered sugar texture make this a one-of-a-kind dessert.
This is the best Christmas muddies buddies recipe ever!
This is a great recipe to make when thinking of giving out cute little holiday/Christmas care packages because it is quick to make and tastes so comforting which I am guessing is the feeling that we’re all after around the holidays.
Don’t let yourself be fooled by all the holiday/Christmas verbiage because these can literally be made for so many different occasions. Make sure to sign up for my email newsletter that you’ll see when you’re scrolling down to see multiple different variations of muddy buddies through 2022!
What re muddy buddies?
Muddy buddies, also called puppy chow, reindeer chow, or monkey much are sweet crunchy treats made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. They are thick, sweet, and super crunchy.
These treats are no-bake making them super fun to make with children or when you’re in a rush but need something to serve to friends and family or to entertain on Christmas. They’re super addictive so beware!
Why you need to make this recipe!
- It is so quick and requires very minimal effort.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled, tap the x2 or x3 in the recipe card to get the right measurements for that.
- It is a great sweet treat to make with kidss around the holidays and create new memories.
- They store so well in the freezer which means you can make them ahead of time!
- These muddy buddies are ery versatile. Yyou can change cereals or add extra nuts or candies to the mix to make them extra festive.
- It is gluten free!! The Chex mix cereal is gluten free so It would be a great snack for those with gluten sensitivities.
Ingredients for this muddies buddies recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make muddy buddies at home. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed ingredient measurements.
- Chex mix– You can use either the off brand or the regular check mix cereal. They both work really well.
- Peanut butter- Use smooth peanut butter like the one Skippy sells.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– Use high quality chocolate for your muddy buddies to get the best taste out of them.
- Vanilla– The vanilla extract will add a nice depth of flavor to these sweet treats.
- Powdered sugar– The iconic muddy buddies look comes from the powdered sugar finish. I like using the Trader Joes one for these because it doesn’t have an aftertaste.
If you want to make your muddy buddies nut-free you can use sunflower butter. You can also substitute the peanut butter with any other nut butter if you don’t have any allergies.
You can also make this dairy-free and vegan by using a dairy-free chocolate alternative.
How to make muddies buddies or puppy chow at home?
This is how you can make homemade puppy chow. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full detailed instructions!
- Melt the chocolate and peanut butter togther in a bowl.
- Mix in the chex mix, gently fold until it is coated in the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Add ½ the amount of powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag, top it with the cchex mix mixture, then add in the rest of the powdered sugar.
- Close the bag and shake to coat everything.
- Transfer the muddy buddies onto a parchement paper or wax paper lined baking sheet and let it set for 30 minutes.
Fun muddy buddies variations:
Muddy buddies or puppy chow is so easy to customize and play around with. Here are some of my favorite ways to mix it up
- Mix in some M&m’s, Reese’s Pieces, Crushed candy canes for tthe ultimate Christmas treat, nuts, or even pretzels.
- Add in some sprinkles to fit the season.
- Mix in some crushed cookies, think Oreos, nutter butter or even chocolate chip cookies.
- Drizzle with some extra chocolate or colored candy melts for a more fun color contrast.
Frequently asked questions – FAQ
Can I double this recipe?
Absolutely! Since this is a great recipe to make for crowds feel free to press x2 or x3 on the recipe card to double or triple this recipe.
How to store muddies buddies?
You can store your puppy chow in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Storing it in the fridge on the other hand will allow you to keep it fresher for longer. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Can I freeze muddy buddies?
Yes! That’s another reason why we love these so much.
You can store them in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature before enjoying them again! I sometimes like to snack on them when they’re cold too.
Easy muddy buddies recipe
If you made these muddy buddies and enjoyed them, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review by clicking on the 5 stars under the title and description. It would help me a ton
Easy Muddy buddies recipe
- Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring in between every time. Stir in the vanilla until combined.
- Add in the Chex cereal, and gently fold until they are all coated in the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- In a gallon size bag, add in ½ the amount of powdered sugar, top it with the Chex mix, then add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Close the bag and shake to coat.
- Transfer the muddy buddies onto a parchement or wax paper lined baking sheet and let it set and cool for 30 minutes.
Thank you for making it all the way down here 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe don’t forget to let us know in the comments below! In the meantime, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram!
Shop this recipe
This post may contain affiliate posts, meaning that at no cost to you I will get a small percentage of every purchase you make!