This chocolate orange avocado mousse for two is vegan and is so so good! It’s like having a party in your mouth. It come together quickly and makes for the perfect Valentine’s day dessert!
Don’t forget to sign up for my email newsletter to stay up to date on the BEST recipes 🙂
I bought too many avocados and oranges last week, so what better way to use them than to create an unbelievably healthy and delicious vegan chocolate orange mousse recipe for two!
I guess we can also call it an avocado chocolate orange pudding too since the texture is not as mouss-y as a regular chocolate mousse mad with eggs. But hey, this is dairy free, and tastes amazing!
More recipe ideas for the perfect Vegan Valentine’s day meal!
- 8 Best vegan pumpkin recipes
- Vegan gut healing buddha bowl
- Healthy vegan double chocolate brownies
- Lemon strawberry vegan tart
So since I always seem to buy more than I need, I started looking for healthy orange recipes online to get some sort of inspiration but I really couldn’t find much… So I remembered one of my favorite flavor combinations, chocolate and orange!
I knew I wanted to make 2 recipes using avocados, one regular savory recipe and one sweet dessert recipe so I thought why not combine both of the ingredients that I have and make an avocado and orange gluten free and dairy free chocolate mousse.
I then thought to myself that valentine’s day is right around the corner and people are probably going to start doing their research to figure out what dessert recipes for two they’re gonna make.
That’s why I made this vegan avocado chocolate mousse for two. Also because I know myself and if I didn’t make a smaller batch I would’ve eaten way too much… It’s that good!
Seriously, look at the picture above! How can you say no to such textured vegan mousse!! Especially when it is made with avocados, you have to try this at least once!
Ingredients needed for this valentine’s day dessert for two
This recipe is very simple and only requires a few ingredients. To make it you will need:
- A ripe avocado- This will be the base of our dessert.
- An orange– We will need both juice as well as zest from this orange
- Cocoa powder– Make sure to use dutch processed cocoa powder it will make the dessert less bitter.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips– You can never go wrong with extra chocolate! to keep this recipe vegan use vegan chocolate, so dairy free chocolate if you will! I used this one.
- Maple syrup– This is used to sweeten our chocolate mousse. Use more or less depending on your taste buds!
- Vanilla extract– This takes this vegan mousse to the next level.
- Sea salt– Salt gives us a nice depth of flavor
Will my avocado chocolate pudding/mousse taste like avocados?
This vegan and dairy free chocolate mousse doesn’t taste like avocados!!! Like at all! Hurray!! Something healthy that doesn’t taste like the healthy ingredient we made it with. That’s a win win in my book 😉
Make sure to use super ripe avocados to make sure that your vegan chocolate pudding doesn’t taste green.
The taste is Chocolatey, rich, silkey, and creamy! Of course it still tastes a bit healthy since we are making it with healthier ingredients that differ from the original chocolate mousse recipe.
You would never guess that avocados are in this recipe to be honest..
Is this avocado chocolate mousse really healthy?
Well, it all depends on your definition of healthy. There are some people that consider low calorie foods healthy when they really are not that good for you.
I like to think that this recipe is healthy-ish, just like molly from spices in my dna said! This recipe still contains a fairly high amount of calories because of the ingredients used. At the same time it is a recipe that used natural unprocessed ingredients which are so good for you.
The avocados are a great source of vitamin C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, magnesium and potassium. They improve digestion and are a natural detoxification agent.
The oranges in this chocolate mousse recipe also add a little more vitamin C and help support the immune system.
So all in all, I would not recommend eating this for every meal of the day since it is a dessert. But it definitely is a dessert that is more guilt free.
How to make the best vegan chocolate orange mousse for two?
Because many of us are crazy busy all year round, this years valentine’s day dessert is going to be a quick one. Throw everything in a blender or food processor, chill, and enjoy 😉
First, start by putting all your ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Then, blend all the ingredients together until you get a nice and smooth textured avocado orange chocolate mousse. At this point you can taste it and adjust the sweetness to your likings.
Using a spoon or a piping bag, fill two little glass cups or ramequins with the vegan avocado mousse and chill them for at least 30 minutes.
I topped my avocado chocolate mousse with coconut whipped cream and a little more orange zest to make it pop a little more!
Tips for making the best vegan avocado chocolate mousse
- Use ripe avocados- using super ripe avocados not only makes them easier to blend but it ensures that your vegan chocolate mousse will not have that avocado taste in it.
- Use room temperature ingredients- By using room temperature ingredients, the melted chocolate won’t harden right away. You will save yourself a ton of headaches by doing this.
- Don’t skip on the chilling- This step is not optional! Chill the mousse to allow the deep chocolatey flavors to develop and to let it set some more!
IF YOU MADE SOMETHING FROM LIFESTYLEOFAFOODIE, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ALL YOUR CREATIONS AND KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNED OUT! SO DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, AND FACEBOOK.
Chocolate orange avocado mousse
Chocolate orange avocado mousse
- food processor or a blender
- 1 ripe medium avocado about 95 grams
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest extra for topping
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extracts
- a pinch sea salt
- Start by washing, halving, and scooping your avocado flesh into the food processor or blender.
- Add in the orange juice, the orange zest, dutch cocoa powder, melted chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix everything for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Taste the mousse and adjust it to your likings.
- Using a piping bag, fill you ramequins or glasses and refrigerate the chocolate orange avocado mousse for at least 30 minutes.
- Optional: top with coconut whipped cream and some extra orange zest, and enjoy your delicious and healthy avocado dessert!
When it comes to substitutions for this recipe there is a lot you can do. First off, if you are not the biggest fan of orange you can definitely omit that. Instead of the orange juice, use almond milk or any milk you have.
- Maple syrup- You can use any other liquid sweetener for this recipe. I would recommend a 1:1 ratio if using honey, the recipe will not be vegan anymore but it will be just as tasty.
- Vegan semi sweet chocolate chips- again if you do not care for this recipe being vegan, use regular chocolate chips.
- Coconut whipped cream- if you do not have this on hand, you can completely omit it or go for something else. A lot of stores now carry vegan whipped cream so you can use that, or make regular whipped cream if you don’t mind it not being vegan.
Shop this recipe
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
If you enjoyed this vegan chocolate orange mousse make sure to pin it for later!
If you make this chocolate avocado mousse I would love it if you could leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out for you. You could also reach out on facebook or instagram so let me know what you and every body else thought of your amazing creation 🙂
Have a fantastic day.